Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Just think - if you had one hundred thousand dollars for every. single. post. in this thread... you still wouldn't have as much as Avatar made at the Box Office. 

How many posts per page? Assuming 25 gives $1.77b, Not even 0.65A

22 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Production seems to be in full flow right now - ZS is posting some bts shots on her social media. 

Reading the commentators on her Instagram is a stark contrast to what we see from online nerd culture. Makes you remember that so many people loved Avatar, reading comments on BOT would lead you to believe otherwise. Although it should be pretty obvious people loved it from the amount of money it made.

Also what's bts? Made me think back stage but that doesn't seem right.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Reading the commentators on her Instagram is a stark contrast to what we see from online nerd culture. Makes you remember that so many people loved Avatar, reading comments on BOT would lead you to believe otherwise. Although it should be pretty obvious people loved it from the amount of money it made.

Nah, The Land of the Trump is right on Avatar, 40yo men child  don't spend 500$ a year on Avatar merch so the movie wasn't really liked ya know, it was all about the shiny colors and the 3d ya know.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Avatar was loved by general audiences.

And that is precisely what hardcore scifi nerds hate, and therefore, they love perpetuating the idea that nobody liked Avatar (which is ridiculous, going by the word of mouth and the repeat business it made)...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Avatar was loved by general audiences.

And that is precisely what hardcore scifi nerds hate, and therefore, they love perpetuating the idea that nobody liked Avatar (which is ridiculous, going by the word of amouth and the repeat business it made)...

Which is odd to me as Avatar had much sounder sci fi than Star Wars which revolves around jedi's, the force is magic. The Avatar hate crew seems to love starwars and superheroes... pretty odd.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 4

On 2/20/2018 at 2:12 PM, Elessar said:

Beautiful music... James Newton Howard has done some very impressive work throughout his career. Like i said earlier, he would be among my top choices for the Avatar sequels. What is he up to these days? Is it just me or is he on hiatus?

I know right?! Check IMDB - He's still working. in fact last week I rewatched Roman J. Israel. Towards the end I noticed the soaring score (which was quiet during the whole movie). I really liked it so I paused the movie and checked to see who did the scoring. Guess who? https://youtu.be/S1BP5ZbMICg?t=4m10s

• Like 2

On 2/20/2018 at 2:12 PM, Elessar said:

Beautiful music... James Newton Howard has done some very impressive work throughout his career. Like i said earlier, he would be among my top choices for the Avatar sequels. What is he up to these days? Is it just me or is he on hiatus?

My favorite JNH score is for a Julia Roberts flop from 1990: Dying Young.

• Like 2

Is there any chance of Cameron ever doing a superhero film? DOesn't have to be DC or MCU since any superhero character he decided to bring to life cinematically will most likely become a household name, regardless of how obscure (come on..."from the director of Avatar, Titanic, Aliens, T2, and True Lies...comes a new vision in superhero cinema..." you know it will...make some money ;-) )

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The Avatar hate crew seems to love starwars and superheroes... pretty odd.

Exactly, I would respect the Avatar hating crowd much more if their criticism of Avatar translate to their actual movie watching habit. Promoting new and interesting concepts in new intellectual properties that are both successful and visually and mentally stimulating (such films aren't being produced today). Though I would still disagree with their opinion on Avatar, at least they'll appear to be somewhat consistent. 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 3