Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

9 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Did any of those open at #1 WW? Did any of them become the highest grossing film of its era? Sit down.

:hahaha:

Hey, you are the one that highlighted the THIRD Saturday, I was only pointing out that that happens in that window quite a bit.  Obviously none of those other movies had as big a Saturdays as Avatar did, but it's still something that happens.  

I'm fully aware of what Avatar did, it was an amazing run to follow!  You can be amazed and still understand that some of that was helped by the Christmas break. Just like the break helps literally everything.

10 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

That's basically what Avatar was if you adjust for market growth since 2009. It set a record with its opening weekend for an original film and then its THIRD Saturday was bigger than its first. And it did similar crazy numbers in almost every major market in the world. An original film! People "poo poo" Avatar but to me it's the second most impressive run of the modern era.

Titanic was a tier above that if you can believe it. A "Titanic" run today could ride all the way to $6B after a $500M OW. It made nearly double the existing record holder (more the double counting the re-release).

We haven't seen anything like that since, but movies like Avatar and Titanic only come around about every 12 years. 😏

EDIT: For anyone didn't grow up in the era of Titanic (I was 18 at the time), here's a timeline of its cultural dominance: https://www.vulture.com/2013/11/timeline-of-titanics-world-dominance-in-1998.html

Endgame is a flash in the pan in comparison. Even Avatar cowers before Titanic.

Thanks for the Powr of Titanic info Pure Spirit. The run of Jp and Titan really got me into bo tracking and discussions world😎

14 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

:hahaha:

Hey, you are the one that highlighted the THIRD Saturday, I was only pointing out that that happens in that window quite a bit.  Obviously none of those other movies had as big a Saturdays as Avatar did, but it's still something that happens.  

I'm fully aware of what Avatar did, it was an amazing run to follow!  You can be amazed and still understand that some of that was helped by the Christmas break. Just like the break helps literally everything.

No JCs work is one of a kind and gets people to repeat his films like no other film. If that was the case why no Xmas films have ever performed close to Titan and Juggernaut 2009. Take a seat my friend.😉

8 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

No JCs work is one of a kind and gets people to repeat his films like no other film. If that was the case why no Xmas films have ever performed close to Titan and Juggernaut 2009. Take a seat my friend.😉

Greatest Showman almost got a 20x, Jumanji got an 11x.  

You can claim it's Cameron all you want, but the truth of the matter is, the holiday inflates the number quite a bit.  

Again, not saying it wouldn't have done well outside that window, but if you honestly think Avatar would have gotten a 10x in spring or summer, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Dom: 475+ (45mn admits against 75mn of Avatar 1 but due to lower 3D contribution ATP just 10% higher than normal as compared to 33% in 2009)

Overseas: 1200 (same reason in Europe as in Dom but Asia will rise)

China: 700 

WW: 2375

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Dom: 475+ (45mn admits against 75mn of Avatar 1 but due to lower 3D contribution ATP just 10% higher than normal as compared to 33% in 2009)

Lol domestic 475?? 

Thats a balsy predict

( in captain America voice)

I'll put it on the list😉

Here are some of the early predicts so far. Everyone please help me update👍

Kal...1.12b dom, 3.4b OS( Really would love Avatar2 to hit 1bil to 1.2 bil or

Better from China alone)

4.5b WW

Ncsoft... 3.7Bww

Jimbo...1.1B dom , 

3.5b OS, 4.6B WW

Keysersoze123

600 Domestic /1.2B OS -C / 700M C - 2.5B WW

Pure spirit

low-end:

550M DOM

$2B OS - China

$600M China

$3.15B total, assuming significant drop off from the first after accounting for inflation plus foreign market growth

(Nice one Pure Spirit I hope

we reach your highend predict or far more fellow Pandorian)

Pure Spirits High-end :

$1B DOM

$3B OS - China

$1.1B China

$5.1B total

Charlie Jatender

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

Greatest Showman almost got a 20x, Jumanji got an 11x.  

You can claim it's Cameron all you want, but the truth of the matter is, the holiday inflates the number quite a bit.  

Again, not saying it wouldn't have done well outside that window, but if you honestly think Avatar would have gotten a 10x in spring or summer, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Lol you lost me when you comparing Greatest showman to Titanic and Avatar and then state you know bo.

Terminator 2  was summer film and had a 6 or 7x multiplier btw😉

Just now, Darth Homer said:

This confirms Cameron really hated TFA since he never congratulated JJ and Lucasfilm when that passed Titanic and Avatar domestic. 

Actually read our previous post.  Jc is actually taking shots at Eg( lol egs run due to market expansion etc) Hes not a big fan of E.g.

Either lol.

35 minutes ago, Darth Homer said:

This confirms Cameron really hated TFA since he never congratulated JJ and Lucasfilm when that passed Titanic and Avatar domestic. 

It confirms nothing except your own bias. 

• Like 2

Regarding Endgame beating Avatar, if it wasn't for China there would be no conversation at all regarding#1 W/W. EG just passed the $600 million mark in China and has started to crash hard - down almost 90% over previous Fri., Avatar finished with $204 million. That being said I still say that Endgame will come up short in its quest to dethrone Avatar for #1 worldwide. 

Back of the napkin prediction for EG.

Domestic: $825 million

China: $660 m

Foreign: $1.2 B

Total: $2.685B 

39 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Lol you lost me when you comparing Greatest showman to Titanic and Avatar and then state you know bo.

T2 - $204,843,345/31,765,506 = 6.448x(from the 3 day)

Also a summer film from that very same summer:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - $165,493,908/25,625,602 = 6.458x

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deuce66 said:

Regarding Endgame beating Avatar, if it wasn't for China there would be no conversation at all regarding#1 W/W. EG just passed the $600 million mark in China and has started to crash hard - down almost 90% over previous Fri., Avatar finished with $204 million. That being said I still say that Endgame will come up short in its quest to dethrone Avatar for #1 worldwide. 

Back of the napkin prediction for EG.

Domestic: $825 million

China: $660 m

Foreign: $1.2 B

Total: $2.685B 

What were the screens in China now vs in 09?

52 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Greatest Showman is comparable to Titanic and Avatar. It just kept holding and holding and holding, I recall trade publications referring to it as a mini-Titanic, and here on the forum people were eagle eyed watching it get closer and closer to Titanic's 20x multiplier.

• Like 1