Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

9 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

More chance of over 4 billies than under 1 billy.

This, I agree with. Under $1B would be akin to a "Through the Looking Glass" level disaster for Avatar 2. I find that highly unlikely. Even my "Ultra Bear" case is $1.25B at this point. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

This, I agree with. Under $1B would be akin to a "Through the Looking Glass" level disaster for Avatar 2. I find that highly unlikely. Even my "Ultra Bear" case is $1.25B at this point. 

$1.25B. I'm guessing "Ultra Bear" causes all cinemas but 1 to be shutdown globally due to the pandemic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It it weren't for Titanic and then Avatar so dramatically setting new worldwide records (smashing the $1 billion and $2 billion marks so handily for the first time), I would call $3/4 billion worldwide predictions/chances for Avatar ridiculous. But at this point I just can't doubt James Cameron.

That's not to say that Avatar 2 will do such numbers (nor that I expect it will) - just that the potential for such gangbuster numbers seems obvious - given reasons I've mentioned earlier in this thread, and that James Cameron has already shown twice in modern history that such an increase in the worldwide record is possible.

Titanic smashed the worldwide record before it by over 100% in 1997, and Avatar by nearly 50% (and over 140%, if Titanic hadn't existed) in 2009 - dramatic increases. It's not hard to imagine, therefore, that Avatar 2 could reach new heights in 2022 if all of the pieces are there. It's not an easy feat, but Cameron has, remarkably, done it twice.

Again, this will, in my opinion, depend on if Avatar 2 manages to captivate audiences again in terms of sheer technological marvel and a resonant story that appeals to diverse audiences. We'll see if all the stars align.

(Side note: It is interesting to see the films that would have set the worldwide record if Titanic and Avatar hadn’t existed and decimated the records in the way they had.)

----

From Jurassic Park’s worldwide record in 1993 onwards:

(*All original run grosses only except where otherwise noted; films that didn't, but would have set the record, are in blue)

Jurassic Park (1993) — $912,667,947 (actual record holder prior to Titanic’s whopping 100% increase)

Titanic (1997) — $1,843,478,449

The Phantom Menace (1999) — $924,305,084

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001) — $974,755,371

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003) — $1,140,682,011

Avatar (2009) — $2,743,577,587 (nearly 50% increase; whopping 140% increase if Titanic didn't exist)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011) — $1,341,511,219

The Avengers (2012) — $1,518,812,988

Jurassic World (2015) — $1,670,400,637

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) — $2,068,223,624

Avengers: Endgame (2019) — $2,797,501,328

Avatar (2009) with re-releases — $2,847,246,203 - current worldwide record holder

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, xieh tie said:

It's a good sign, maybe we will see Wu Jing in the next avatar sequel,

If Wu Jing is casted for Avatar sequels, then, Avatar will become the only movie series to win All-Time Highest Grossing Film every time.

Grosses will be like : Avatar < Avatar 2 < Avatar 3 < Avatar 4 < Avatar 5.

BTW, what will be the multiple increase of each sequel to former one??

Edited by Issac Newton

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1550314/avatar-2-james-cameron-release-date-disney-plus

"Despite how much time and effort Cameron is putting into Avatar 2, he did confess he has some fears about the reception of the film. He revealed: "The big issue is: are we going to make any damn money? Big, expensive films have got to make a lot of money. We're in a new world post-COVID, post-streaming. Maybe those [box office] numbers will never be seen again. Who knows? It's all a big roll of the dice."

Cameron the god always have a magic

People think Termintor 2 will failed before Termintor 2 released,they said Termintor 1 is a film which only gross $80m 

Then Termintor 2 gross over $500m WW and 5 times higher than first one,and become 3rd highest grossing film of that time only after E.T and SW4:The new hope.(Like $400m jump to $2000m today)

Then People think Titanic will failed before Titanic released, and everyone laughed and said Cameron was a loser when Titanic opening weekend  data came out.

And then Titanic become the highest grossing Hollywood film in the world and highest grossing Hollywood film in every single country in this world.

10 years later,People think Avatar will failed before Avatar released,they said this film no way for passing Titanic.

Then Avatar beat Titanic by 1B worldwide , break IMAX box office record in every single country and make IMAX and 3D popular globally and become "the industrail revolution of the movie"

Now people think Avatar 2 will failed because of COVID-19,we'll see.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 3

I found another example for How James Cameron beloved and respect in China

This is a thread about Denis Villeneuve satire Marvel is  not a movie and Marvel movie are not good, in  "Chinese BOT" called "TNABO"

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7541964714

You can use google translate too see the comment,most of us are very angry and satire back to Denis Villeneuve,some people even said ”Villenevuve movie is trush““He is just envy Marvel!",because we all love MARVEL and most of people in"TNABO" are Marvel fa,that's why we are angry for his prejudice,I was super angry too and I said"Dune' is the trush in that thread.

OK,now we see another thread in TNABO

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5661385295?pn=1

This thread is about James Cameron want people to fell fatigue for Avengers ,he think there are another stories to tellin Sci-Fi

You can use google translate too see the comment,most of the comment are not angry.

I know most of people in this thread,the second person is the crazy Marvel fans and if another director satire Marvel he will be super angry,But face to James Cameron,he said"He is right,his everything is right,come on, he is Cameron the God"

14th people is crazy Thor fans,but he is not angry ,too.He said"Oh...please let Avatar seires make me fell fatigue"(means he want Avatar have 20 movies to see)

and you can see the 18th people,he said :"I am a crazy Captian America's fans....but come on,he is Cameron the God...so what he said is just so handsome,I love him."

21th person is a girl,I am a friend of her,and I know she is a crazy Marvek fan either,but in this thread,she said"Cameron the God is right,his everything is right."

Many Marvel fans agree with Cameron with no reason,just because he is "Cameron the God",it's kind weird,right?

A thread of Cameron satire Wonder woman.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5291948732?pn=1

Most of comment agree with James Cameron,the weird whing is that many DC fans agree with James Cameron,too.(I know most of them),many people even followed Cameron to satire Wonder woman.

It's kind weird for your guys right?because this thing will not happened in BOT,but is happened in China

I will tell you why ,because he is just so beloved in China,everyone respect him,even if you are not his fans you still respect him, in most Chinese people eyes ,James Cameron said a movie is a trush,then this movie it's a trush;James Camerson said a movie is good,then this movie it's good,no matter you are Harry Potter fans,Marvel fans,007 fans,DC fans,We all admit what Cameron saying.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

If Avatar 2 does get a China release, I believe the WW record will go down. The $4B predictions are crazy though. I am still thinking $500-$600M DOM. Avatar is a bigger OS franchise than DOM.

One dude predicted 11B which is borderline crazy IMO. 4B is highly unlikely IMO but I can see it happening if the stars align.

My Expectations from Avatar 2:

Domestic:

→ Biggest 2nd Weekend...up to 15th Weekend

→ All-Time Highest Grossing Film

Overseas:

→ All-Time Highest Grossing Film in Central &Latin America (each & every country)

→ All-Time Highest Grossing Film in Nordic (each &every country)

→ All-Time Highest Grossing Film in Oceania (each &every country)

→ All-Time Highest Grossing Film in Africa (each &every country)

→ All-Time Highest Grossing Film in Middle East (each &every country)

→ Defeat Titanic to become the biggest Imported Film in Japan.

→ Defeat Avengers Endgame to become the biggest film in South East Asia

→ Defeat Avengers Endgame to become the biggest Foreign Film in India &SAARC

→ Defeat Avengers Endgame in Korea to become the biggest Foreign Film in Korea.

→ All-Time Highest Grossing Film in Russia &CIS

(Can not figure out Europe, but I expect it to be the biggest Film in TOP 3)

China:

→ All-Time Highest Grossing Film in Mainland (Difference between 1st &2nd : ~$100M-$200M+)

→ All-Time Highest Grossing Film in Hong Kong (1st Film to pass HK$300M)

→ All-Time Highest Grossing Film in Taiwan (1st Film to pass NT$2B)

→ All-Time Highest Grossing Film in Macau (1st Film to pass MOP$50M)

Worldwide:

→ Biggest Global Debut (Greater than $1.3B)

→ Biggest 2nd Global Weekend .......up to 15th Weekend

→ Biggest IMAX Release

→ Biggest 4DX Release

→ Biggest MX4D Release

→ Biggest Dolby Release

→ Biggest Film by Admissions

→ 1st Film to pass $3B......so on

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Release the damn teaser. 

That would be nice but first what is the movie going to be called?? Let's start with the official title first.

Edited by Deuce66

3 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

That would be nice but first what is the movie going to be called?? Let's start with title first.

Avatar: Pandora Strike back (I guess)

Edited by Issac Newton