Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Regardless of how this movie performs, I think Avatar 3 should stay where it currently is. Going by what Jon Landau claimed, it doesn’t seem like this movie will end of a big cliffhanger, so surely people can wait a couple of years. 

When writing the scripts Jim had a 1 year gap between avatar 2 and 3 in mind

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Regardless of how this movie performs, I think Avatar 3 should stay where it currently is. Going by what Jon Landau claimed, it doesn’t seem like this movie will end of a big cliffhanger, so surely people can wait a couple of years. 

It could be the new Gareth Edwards project that takes rouge squadron's date ( if news of rs doesn't come from celebration). We know it is sci fi film and that cast is stacked. It also began filming in January of this year so it could easily make the date

Edited by Reddroast

6 hours ago, AniNate said:

And way back in 1953, when it first came out, 3D was meant to lure audiences from their television sets and back to theaters. Some things never change......

It has some intital sucess,but flamed out early.That many of the first wave of 3d Films were not very good did not help matters. One studioo pening a movie against a 3d jungle film said in a ad:

"What do you want? A Lion in your lap or a good movie?".

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

And way back in 1953, when it first came out, 3D was meant to lure audiences from their television sets and back to theaters. Some things never change......

It has some intital sucess,but flamed out early.That many of the first wave of 3d Films were not very good did not help matters. One studioo pening a movie against a 3d jungle film said in a ad:

"What do you want? A Lion in your lap or a good movie?".

And they tried again in the 80s. Studios learned the wrong lesson from avatar.

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Would Avatar (2009) of had the highest december opening weekend of all time if not for the snowstorm on the east coast?

Judging by the non-existent second weekend drop and the fact that it was only a few dollars away from the record at the time anyway, id say yes.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

So everyone in agreement that Avatar (2009) is going to become the first film to $3B after the sepetember remastered released?

Maybe? I woudnt rule it out, but it would need HUGE numbers for a re-release to get there. Less like a smaller re-release and more like an actual movie opening. Still then, i woud think its more unlikely than not since everyone is interested in Avatar 2, not rewatching a movie that they already know me thinks in general.

So i would say no, but its not impossible.

• Like 1

Avatar needs $152.7 million to clear $3B. 

The Titanic 3D re-release from 2012 generated $350.45 million. The domestic portion was $57.9 million, China was $145 m. 

I would be very pleasantly surprised if Avatar hits that number. Also it wouldn't surprise me if a 5-10 minute trailer is attached to this special event. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

So everyone in agreement that Avatar (2009) is going to become the first film to $3B after the sepetember remastered released?

Depends on how they roll it out, how long and what additional carrots are they going to attach to it besides remastered video & audio although I think the audio is already perfect. Also which version of the movie are they going to show?? 

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Judging by the non-existent second weekend drop and the fact that it was only a few dollars away from the record at the time anyway, id say yes.

Maybe? I woudnt rule it out, but it would need HUGE numbers for a re-release to get there. Less like a smaller re-release and more like an actual movie opening. Still then, i woud think its more unlikely than not since everyone is interested in Avatar 2, not rewatching a movie that they already know me thinks in general.

So i would say no, but its not impossible.

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

Depends on how they roll it out, how long and what additional carrots are they going to attach to it besides remastered video & audio although I think the audio is already perfect. Also which version of the movie are they going to show?? 

Yeah it would have to be a release likes its a new movie for it to make those numbers.

If anything is an exception to 'not wanted to rewatch a movie' they're already seen its probably Avatar. Its remembered as a film which was incredible in cinemas, I've got a feeling this rerelease is gonna make some crazy imax money.

if they market is as visuals remastered, definitive cut of the film, avatar 2 sneak peak and then give it a wide release. I think 3 billies should be a realistic target.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

How many records does this thread itself hold? Oldest still not archived? Most posts for unreleased film? Most posts between thread starting and teaser dropping?

Let's hope the movie will continue setting record after record once it releases.

Most threads never even get close to 1000 pages.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

How many records does this thread itself hold? Oldest still not archived? Most posts for unreleased film? Most posts between thread starting and teaser dropping?

most hidden replies?

• Haha 3

On 5/17/2022 at 10:40 AM, Deuce66 said:

Avatar needs $152.7 million to clear $3B. 

The Titanic 3D re-release from 2012 generated $350.45 million. The domestic portion was $57.9 million, China was $145 m. 

I would be very pleasantly surprised if Avatar hits that number. Also it wouldn't surprise me if a 5-10 minute trailer is attached to this special event. 

Doable to fudge if they release it globally. 

• Like 1