Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Because 3D ain't walking back in through that door my man Jimbo.....

James Cameron Wows CineEurope With First Footage of 'Titanic 3D' – The  Hollywood Reporter

Nothing can stop this man Mr City, he'll revive 3D if he needs to.

I understand if you want to keep up a sort of persona of having only correct predictions, it makes sense you wouldn't want to estimate Avatar 2's gross this far out

24 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I sense the fear in you already, Jimbo.  

too scared to even quote me Mr City?

This December is going to be crazy, you should join our hype train before its full

9 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

The easy thing for the industry is that Disney doing the re-release of Avatar in September is going to be the canary in the coal mine.

If that explodes and shows strong interest beyond 3D showings, then you will know Avatar 2 is going to be a huge hit.  

If the only thing that sells is 3D showings and it struggles or flops in 2D showings, then Avatar 2 is not a sure thing.  

Are they even going to be offering 2d showings for the re-release?

As far as I understand part of the reason for the re-release is to make sure as many theatres are possible are ready to show 2 come december

And I must imagine that pretty much everyone that wants to re-watch avatar in theaters will be interested in doing so in 3d

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, every single time I think the Marvel and DC fans are the true odd balls of box office and cinema, all it takes is one trip to the Avatar thread to remind me who the true weirdos really are.  😃

You have no idea. 

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

China is banning more and more Hollywood movies. If this movie ends up on the banlist, then passing the first movie may not be possible. 

The ultimate combination: Movie gets banned in China and gets put on Disney+ 30 days after OW.

Spoiler

:sparta:

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

China is banning more and more Hollywood movies. If this movie ends up on the banlist, then passing the first movie may not be possible. 

That’s the only way I can see a total under the first tbh. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Fuck the corrupt Chinese Government and their bans.  Any studio that bends over for them going forward has no pride.  Hollywood doesn't need their money.  

Agree on this.

I'm not against box office crowd messing with the terminlogy of Highest Grossing Movie and make that mean minus China

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, every single time I think the Marvel and DC fans are the true odd balls of box office and cinema, all it takes is one trip to the Avatar thread to remind me who the true weirdos really are.  😃

Yeah, it's the dudes who act like being able to read numbers and report them to others gives them special powers. 

GCKdYXWo03SX5hL8DddFtcDOQ7AyvTZgmcGSqV7-

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Agree on this.

I'm not against box office crowd messing with the terminlogy of Highest Grossing Movie and make that mean minus China

I also think that looking at BO numbers WW-C gives a bit better perspective. It shows for example how insane of a run No Way Home had and also that Doctor Strange 2's run at 930 - 970M probably is right around similar Marvel movies if you count out their China grosses.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I also think that looking at BO numbers WW-C gives a bit better perspective. It shows for example how insane of a run No Way Home had and also that Doctor Strange 2's run at 930 - 970M probably is right around similar Marvel movies if you count out their China grosses.

Spiderman no way Home made like 15% less than Endgame when you deduct China, its actually insane

• Like 3

I sense the fear in you already, Jimbo.  

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

too scared to even quote me Mr City?

This December is going to be crazy, you should join our hype train before its full

15 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Yeah, it's the dudes who act like being able to read numbers and report them to others gives them special powers. 

GCKdYXWo03SX5hL8DddFtcDOQ7AyvTZgmcGSqV7-

Moderation

I've said it before and I'll say it again that we aren't doing this kind of fan squabbling anymore. Stop this right now, or you're seeing a threadban.

1 minute ago, Eric Belcher said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again that we aren't doing this kind of fan squabbling anymore. Stop this right now, or you're seeing a threadban.

Come on Eric, we rarely start it, I wouldn't even call it squabbling - people seem to love to poke and attempt to demean Avatar fans in a manner unlike other fandoms around here. :sadfleck:

35 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Fuck the corrupt Chinese Government and their bans.  Any studio that bends over for them going forward has no pride.  Hollywood doesn't need their money.  

China is gonna be the world's biggest economy/BO market very soon and are gonna overtake the US in every domain this century.  Naturally, studios are gonna do everything they can for access to those 1.4 billion eyeballs and yuan bucks as they swear fealty to dear leader Xi.  capitalism.001.gif

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

China is gonna be the world's biggest economy/BO market very soon and are gonna overtake the US in every domain this century.  Naturally, studios are gonna do everything they can for access to those 1.4 billion eyeballs and yuan bucks as they swear fealty to dear leader Xi.  capitalism.001.gif

I certainly think this is likely, but we might also get a situation like the Cold War - a kind of iron curtain and they just decide - we don't need the China audience. Which, based on Chapek's latest statements seems possible.