Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

That's awesome!

Did you add in the most recent uploads in the past few days, like the IMAX 4K one, and the Kinocheck 4K one? They both seem to be doing quite well. I'm amazed that there is that much momentum in views after this many days, a sign for good things to come!

Yep, I've added those in. In the interest of full transparency, here's a pastebin of the data as of a few minutes ago: https://pastebin.com/FgN34sd1.

Note that the fact that the lowest-viewed repost I'm tracking has 7,000 views doesn't necessarily mean that I've captured all reposts above that view count (I almost certainly haven't) — I added in a couple of reposts with 100k views just today, for example.

The total across the tracked reposts is 148.6m at present, but it's almost certainly 150m+ with the likely dozens/hundreds of reposts that I've not added in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hw64 said:

Yep, I've added those in. In the interest of full transparency, here's a pastebin of the data as of a few minutes ago: https://pastebin.com/FgN34sd1.

Note that the fact that the lowest-viewed repost I'm tracking has 7,000 views doesn't necessarily mean that I've captured all reposts above that view count (I almost certainly haven't) — I added in a couple of reposts with 100k views just today, for example.

The total across the tracked reposts is 148.6m at present, but it's almost certainly 150m+ with the likely dozens/hundreds of reposts that I've not added in.

any idea how that compares to something like love and thunder or any of the other movies in the top 10 for 24h?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

any idea how that compares to something like love and thunder or any of the other movies in the top 10 for 24h?

I actually did count the first Thor Love and Thunder trailer for all trailers on Youtube over 100k views, its at 117M.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I was curious, so I had a look into it. For the Love and Thunder teaser (which is the one that reached the 24-hour top 10), I polled 54 reposts and found a total of 118m views, so the Avatar 2 teaser is significantly up on that despite being out for 3 fewer weeks, despite leaking in HD nearly a week prior to its online release and despite being shown to a large portion, if not the majority, of the audience for a $450m global opening (likely 40-50m people).

My search for reposts wasn't as comprehensive as for the Avatar 2 teaser, so I might be missing more views. Will shore that up when I get a chance and post final results.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

I actually did count the first Thor Love and Thunder trailer for all trailers on Youtube over 100k views, its at 117M.

I didn't see your post before I made my post above. I'm surprised our results agree so closely, but it makes me think that I've picked up all of the significant reposts for Love and Thunder, so thanks for confirming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, hw64 said:

I didn't see your post before I made my post above. I'm surprised our results agree so closely, but it makes me think that I've picked up all of the significant reposts for Love and Thunder, so thanks for confirming.

I'm also a fan of tracking movie interest through google trends.  These are rough estimates, but it looks like search interest is much higher than Jurassic World Dominion's trailer, slightly higher than the first Doctor Strange trailer, perhaps a bit lower than Thor's first trailer (hard to gauge since Avatar's search interest is more spread out), and much lower than NWH's first trailer.  Obviously none of this is ironclad, just one gauge of curiosity and interest.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, IceFire9yt said:

I'm also a fan of tracking movie interest through google trends.  These are rough estimates, but it looks like search interest is much higher than Jurassic World Dominion's trailer, slightly higher than the first Doctor Strange trailer, perhaps a bit lower than Thor's first trailer (hard to gauge since Avatar's search interest is more spread out), and much lower than NWH's first trailer.  Obviously none of this is ironclad, just one gauge of curiosity and interest.

I think you would except Avatar 2 interest to peak when the first non-teaser trailer comes out. Then we'll start getting articles every other day from major news publishcations, youtube channels start making a bunch of videos and just more Avatar everywhere online.

I think a key point is that Avatar is an original film, and a completely new IP. Whereas these comic films are going to gather interest much earlier before the marketing is at 100%

• Like 1

There will be an avatar story on the June 9th issue of empire magazine.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/avatar-2-the-way-of-water-aquatic-creatures-include-tulkuns-skimwings-ilu-exclusive/

In another article, Sigourney and Jim talk about sci-fi, filmmaking and avatar. Here is an interesting exchange.

Sigourney: I’m very excited about Avatar 2 going around the world, because I do feel like it will start to fan the flames of that unity we felt when the first one was out there playing—how much more we shared in terms of what’s important to us. It really brought us together, Jim, in the most amazing way, and I’m hoping the second one will do even more.

James: We’ll see. It’s a very different picture. I think it’s more challenging in a lot of ways to people, and I was a little worried about us being seen coming in the door with a big target on us, as being those Pollyanna tree huggers. So there’s a strong theme running through it, obviously, of the connectedness of nature, and your character expresses it so beautifully, not so much in word as in deed.

https://www.documentjournal.com/2022/06/sigourney-weaver-james-cameron-anniversary-issue-20-film-avatar-science-fiction-environmentalism/

• Like 4

On 6/5/2022 at 10:27 AM, Deep Wang said:

It's not mental gymnastics, we've literally never seen anything like this before, ever.

For someone that acts like their shit don't stink because Avatar is the best and most amazing movie and has made more money than God, you sure take offense at another movie stealing just the tiniest crumb of attention away from Avatar.

You are a die hard fan of the biggest movie in the history of cinema that had one of the most impressive box office runs ever.

What more do you want??

1000% agree.

I don't see why the extreme Avatar/Cameron fanboys have to dump on every other movie that looks as  if it might be a big hit.

I also resent their attemptiing to hijack threads here devoted to other movies and turn them into Avatar threads.

14 hours ago, dudalb said:

I don't see why the extreme Avatar/Cameron fanboys have to dump on every other movie that looks as  if it might be a big hit.

No one is dumping on Top Gun. Certainly not us. In fact I'm overjoyed at just how well it's doing. What is in question is the comparisons being made by forum users and the authenticity of said comparisons. Reread the conversation and that is patently clear. 

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

No one is dumping on Top Gun. Certainly not us. In fact I'm overjoyed at just how well it's doing. What is in question is the comparisons being made by forum users and the authenticity of said comparisons. Reread the conversation and that is patently clear. 

Authenticity?  Buddy, it's their opinion!  They want to compare it based on everything we've ever seen during second weekends.  You want to remove all context and keep it strictly based on +/-%.  Neither of you are 'wrong' and can compare it however you want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

Authenticity?  Buddy, it's their opinion!  They want to compare it based on everything we've ever seen during second weekends.  You want to remove all context and keep it strictly based on +/-%.  Neither of you are 'wrong' and can compare it however you want. 

This I totally agree on. Although I've made it clear in the past that I always prefer the hard numbers. The cold logic. I believe that for 'Box Office' cold hard facts are the most authentic method. I agree that is my opinion! 

What dudlad was doing above is totally misstating the discussion! 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

This I totally agree on. Although I've made it clear in the past that I always prefer the hard numbers. The cold logic. I believe that for 'Box Office' cold hard facts are the most authentic method. I agree that is my opinion! 

And my opinion is that only looking at the 'hard numbers' and 'cold logic' is telling but half the story!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

And my opinion is that only looking at the 'hard numbers' and 'cold logic' is telling but half the story!

I totally agree that it doesn't tell the full story. Don't get me wrong. We're in full agreement on that. My view is that the numbers tell the part of the story that matters. (Again well aware that is my own personal view).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Why does it only have 22 million views on youtube? I feel like it should be a bit higher

it has over 150m across the like 50 videos

For some reason its not like regular blockbusters where most the views are into 1 channel. The reason for this is most likely they released the clip onto a really small channel.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, tenken said:

is it already out?

has anyone scanned it?

• Like 1