Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

50 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Das ist nicht mein Kino.

"meine" is the female form, but "Kino" is a neutral Noun which in german requires the masculine form "mein" in this case.

Hide contents

:ph34r:

Hide contents

Sorry

Hide contents

I know no humour and all that i really do know

Hide contents

Sorry

Entschuldigung, mein Deutsch Ist sehr schlecht heute.... That's probably wrong as well 😅

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Entschuldigung, mein Deutsch Ist sehr schlecht heute.... That's probably wrong as well 😅

Nope, that is actually completely correct apart from the "Ist" having the capital "I", it should be an "i" 😄

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

wir alle sprechen in Deutsch jetzt?

Reveal hidden contents

ja

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

This is a German classroom now, avatar is irrelevant

Damit kann ich gut leben. Ich weiß allerdings nicht, ob Jimbo das genauso sieht. Ich würde auf Nein tippen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

wir alle sprechen in Deutsch jetzt?

Hide contents

I did as well as I could with my high school german

Für mich einfacher als in englisch zu schreiben.

But I guess English is understood by more people on this forum

24 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Damit kann ich gut leben. Ich weiß allerdings nicht, ob Jimbo das genauso sieht. Ich würde auf Nein tippen.

Nicht nur du; da hat er aber nicht wirklich eine Wahl.

He doesn't really have a choice.

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

When is the next event movie that isn't Avatar being released? If something huge doesn't come along we could be looking at the top 3-5 highest grossing movies of all time all being Avatar.

And I have my doubts about people staying on track with it for 5 movies, I think A2 will do really well, no idea about the ones after that. Also there is a big question mark surrounding china.

And Endgame is only barely below Avatar, so I'd say its unlikely.

And regarding the US:

TFA would like to have a word with you - I wouldn't say that it is impossible, but it will be insanely hard. 937m is a lot to gross for a movie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

When is the next event movie that isn't Avatar being released? If something huge doesn't come along we could be looking at the top 3-5 highest grossing movies of all time all being Avatar.

I remember thinking something similar in about Star Wars in 1999 while TPM was rolling.   But that was before Spider-Man, HP, Shrek, Pirates, etc.  

They will be big for sure, but there will be other huge movies as well, we just don't know what they are yet.  NOBODY would have guessed Top Gun would end up in the top ten just a couple months ago and here we are.

• Like 1

I would be very cautious with predicting that the box office will be completely dominated by the Avatars sequels this decade. Nearly everybody predicted the Star Wars Sequels to do exactly that after TFA's incredible run and just 7 years later, TFA will be the only remaining Star Wars movie in the DOM TOP 10 since The Last Jedi will be kicked out soon by either Top Gun or at the latest Avatar 2.

Box office is extremely unpredictable the further you try to see in the future. Maybe the Avatar sequels will decimate everything. But maybe they will decrease in numbers with every future installment as has happened with practically all franchises.

Nobody knows, essentially.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I remember thinking something similar in about Star Wars in 1999 while TPM was rolling.   But that was before Spider-Man, HP, Shrek, Pirates, etc.  

They will be big for sure, but there will be other huge movies as well, we just don't know what they are yet.  NOBODY would have guessed Top Gun would end up in the top ten just a couple months ago and here we are.

Ahhhh, those were the days eh? Can I have more blockbusters on IP I haven't seen before please? I've given up on asking for original blockbusters. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

true, TFA's domestic was a shocker to me. That said Avatar 3 comes out in DEC 2024. There hasn't really been a movie that isn't a well known franchise to do so well since Avatar right? Top Gun is a good point though. I need to have a closer look at the movies between now and 2024, the chances of a film not based on a popular IP grossing higher than Avatar is close to nil.

23 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I would be very cautious with predicting that the box office will be completely dominated by the Avatars sequels this decade. Nearly everybody predicted the Star Wars Sequels to do exactly that after TFA's incredible run and just 7 years later, TFA will be the only remaining Star Wars movie in the DOM TOP 10 since The Last Jedi will be kicked out soon by either Top Gun or at the latest Avatar 2.

Box office is extremely unpredictable the further you try to see in the future. Maybe the Avatar sequels will decimate everything. But maybe they will decrease in numbers with every future installment as has happened with practically all franchises.

Nobody knows, essentially.

Honestly, Avatar 2 to 3 will be very hard to predict. I've been working under the assumption that TFA's success was that it was  Star Wars and nostalgic, and had massive buzz around it being a new era of Star Wars. Once they watched the movie and it was no offense to Star Wars fans, a super safe rehash, I can see where there wouldn't be massive buzz around the second for the general audience. Also I think TLJ's opening weekend was like 15% less, so that was the true drop, then mixed reception for TLJ kicked in and it ended up making what 30% less overall.

23 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Ahhhh, those were the days eh? Can I have more blockbusters on IP I haven't seen before please? I've given up on asking for original blockbusters. 

closest we can get is a movie from a popular book series which hasn't had a movie before

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

true, TFA's domestic was a shocker to me. That said Avatar 3 comes out in DEC 2024. There hasn't really been a movie that isn't a well known franchise to do so well since Avatar right? Top Gun is a good point though. I need to have a closer look at the movies between now and 2024, the chances of a film not based on a popular IP grossing higher than Avatar is close to nil.

But it doesn't have to only be a new IP, it just needs to make more than the Avatar sequels.  

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Honestly, Avatar 2 to 3 will be very hard to predict. I've been working under the assumption that TFA's success was that it was  Star Wars and nostalgic, and had massive buzz around it being a new era of Star Wars. Once they watched the movie and it was no offense to Star Wars fans, a super safe rehash, I can see where there wouldn't be massive buzz around the second for the general audience. Also I think TLJ's opening weekend was like 15% less, so that was the true drop, then mixed reception for TLJ kicked in and it ended up making what 30% less overall.

The two scenarios are this.  If Avatar 2 doesn't blow up domestically for whatever reason, that gives 3 a chance to increase.  But if Avatar 2 does go like you want, the better the chances of a sequel two years later dropping.