Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

To the best of my knowledge, the closest there’s ever been to being a successful Hollywood adaptation of an anime/manga property has been Alita: Battle Angel, which was, of course, produced by James Cameron, so I don’t see much of a reason to believe that anime adaptations are the future. 

Anyone thinking anime live-action adaptions are the future imo is kidding themselves. Alita was probably the best we will get and that barely broke even. Anime as a medium just doesnt translate well into live-action for a whole buttload of reasons.

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Anyone thinking anime live-action adaptions are the future imo is kidding themselves. Alita was probably the best we will get and that barely broke even. Anime as a medium just doesnt translate well into live-action for a whole buttload of reasons.

It's not that it won't ever translate, just that nobody's done it right so far. 

11 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's not that it won't ever translate, just that nobody's done it right so far. 

I actually think (and it will need a really special movie to change that) that it is impossible to do it "right". The reason is simply that anime and live-action are two entirely different mediums which require different methods of filmmaking, storytelling and art direction. What works in an anime pretty much only works in an anime because that medium (and all other animated mediums) gives the artists literally limitless possibilitys to tell a story, express emotions and present a scene.

Live-action by definition is way more limited because ... its live-action. Its the real world, therefore the way a story was told in an anime doesnt work anymore even if you try to copy it as much as possible or - and especially! - if you try to make it more realistic.

This is why i dread the One Piece live-action series. It will be an utter failure, i have no hope for it. One Piece only works because its unique vision of its world is told through Manga panels and anime episodes. Imagine Luffys stretching arms in live-action? It would look absolutely ridiculous and probably dumb and terrifying.

Like i said, it would need a really special movie that actually somehow manages to find a solution to this fundamental problem ive described to make me believe live-action anime adapations have a good future.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I actually think (and it will need a really special movie to change that) that it is impossible to do it "right". The reason is simply that anime and live-action are two entirely different mediums which require different methods of filmmaking, storytelling and art direction. What works in an anime pretty much only works in an anime because that medium (and all other animated mediums) gives the artists literally limitless possibilitys to tell a story, express emotions and present a scene.

Live-action by definition is way more limited because ... its live-action. Its the real world, therefore the way a story was told in an anime doesnt work anymore even if you try to copy it as much as possible or - and especially! - if you try to make it more realistic.

This is why i dread the One Piece live-action series. It will be an utter failure, i have no hope for it. One Piece only works because its unique vision of its world is told through Manga panels and anime episodes. Imagine Luffys stretching arms in live-action? It would look absolutely ridiculous and probably dumb and terrifying.

Like i said, it would need a really special movie that actually somehow manages to find a solution to this fundamental problem ive described to make me believe live-action anime adapations have a good future.

Completely agree with this.

I think there are like 3 categories:

1. Surrealist stuff which bears no resemblance to reality and shouldn't be touched (basically all shounen)
DBZ,

One Piece,

Naruto.

Attack on Titan

Code Geass

HxH

2. A concept that could work but the execution / story needs an overhaul

Sword Art Online

Death Note

3. Stuff that could actually work, as they seem somewhat grounded in reality (i only really watch shounen, sci-fi and fanstasy...)

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Cowboy Bebop

Pyscho-Pass

Alita

GITS

Edited by IronJimbo

Disney closed its show with an in-person visit from Avatar producer Jon Landau who flew into Barcelona from New Zealand to tout the upcoming sequel. He said Avatar: The Way Of Water was in the final stages of post-production and that it was important to be in Barcelona “to show our support for the exhibition community.”

Before showing off four scenes from the film, Landau noted that the strengths of James Cameron’s scripts are in their universal themes; “There is nothing more relatable than family,” he said before tossing to a message from Cameron.

Cameron from New Zealand said the Avatar team was “pushing the limits even further… every shot is designed for the biggest screen and highest resolution possible… I believe the audience wants this.” He added, “We as an industry are not going away.”

New footage was shown in CineEurope, I assume whoever wants to will have to go looking through the discord to find more information

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Disney closed its show with an in-person visit from Avatar producer Jon Landau who flew into Barcelona from New Zealand to tout the upcoming sequel. He said Avatar: The Way Of Water was in the final stages of post-production and that it was important to be in Barcelona “to show our support for the exhibition community.”

Before showing off four scenes from the film, Landau noted that the strengths of James Cameron’s scripts are in their universal themes; “There is nothing more relatable than family,” he said before tossing to a message from Cameron.

Cameron from New Zealand said the Avatar team was “pushing the limits even further… every shot is designed for the biggest screen and highest resolution possible… I believe the audience wants this.” He added, “We as an industry are not going away.”

New footage was shown in CineEurope, I assume whoever wants to will have to go looking through the discord to find more information

any media reactions?

23 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

I guess this is where I should put it?

seems like a fairly big scale thing, will it result in the titanic thread being moved to the main box office forum?

Just now, Deep Wang said:

Weird, because it's been 16 years since blu-rays first came out and I've got bupkis to show for it!  

at the spanish cinema-con thing yesterday they mentioned 4k abyss and true lies, rejoice.