Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

“The Avatar films themselves are kind of all-consuming,” Cameron admits. “I’ve got some other things I’m developing as well that are exciting. I think eventually over time – I don’t know if that’s after three or after four – I’ll want to pass the baton to a director that I trust to take over, so I can go do some other stuff that I’m also interested in. Or maybe not. I don’t know.”  

“Everything I need to say about family, about sustainability, about climate, about the natural world, the themes that are important to me in real life and in my cinematic life, I can say on this canvas,” he explains. “I got more excited as I went along. Movie four is a corker. It’s a motherfucker. I actually hope I get to make it. But it depends on market forces. Three is in the can so it’s coming out regardless. I really hope that we get to make four and five because it’s one big story, ultimately.”

• Like 1

He's already talked about #4 - they already filmed all of the "kids" parts in advance due to a SIX year time jump that occurs in the story, what that jump entails he did not say. 

I would shocked if Avatar 2 & 3 don't generate enough box office to automatically green light 4 & 5. 

Still, Avatar is Cameron’s own world – and he sounds particularly enthused about where the story goes in the later movies. “Everything I need to say about family, about sustainability, about climate, about the natural world, the themes that are important to me in real life and in my cinematic life, I can say on this canvas,” he explains. “I got more excited as I went along. Movie four is a corker. It’s a motherfucker. I actually hope I get to make it. But it depends on market forces. Three is in the can so it’s coming out regardless. I really hope that we get to make four and five because it’s one big story, ultimately.”

To me it sounds as if avatar 2 story starts after humans have already attacked pandora in an counteroffensive. 

If so, that's a pity. I wish the story showed the initial counterattack.

Then again, i wished the first movie showed initial contact of Navi with avatars, instead of starting a few years after that event.

Avatar is James Cameron’s baby. I don’t see why he’d want to turn it over to someone else. George Lucas did that with Star Wars because of how stressful making the first one was. I never got the impression that Cameron had that kind of experience. 

• Like 1

NEW-AVATAR-FAMILY.png?format=jpg&quality

You can get acquainted with the new generation in the above exclusive image, as seen in our upcoming issue; as well as Neytiri (second from the left) and Jake (far right), you’ll see, from left to right, Sigourney Weaver’s adopted youngster Kiri, as well as the three biological Sully kids – Neteyam (Jamie Flatters), Lo’ak (Britain Dalton) and Tuktirey (Trinity Bliss).

For Cameron, giving the Sullys a whole load of kids was all about upping the personal and emotional stakes for his four-film sequel saga. “I’m a father of five,” the director tells Empire. “I look around – I don’t want to specifically say the Marvel Universe, or the DC Universe – at current fantasy and science-fiction and all these heroes seem unbound in the mire of relationships, the stuff that pulls you down and clips your wings, that stops you running around and risking your life. I thought, “What if I take these incredible characters of Jake and Neytiri and give them a family?’ That gives them feet of clay right there.” And it’s not just Neteyam, Lo’ak, Tuk and Kiri in the mix – there’s also Spider, played by Jack Champion, a human orphan stranded on Pandora who is taken in as part of the Sully crew.

For returning star Sam Worthington, exploring ideas around fatherhood offered a chance to dig into a whole new side of Jake. “It’s about what you are teaching your children as they develop, and grow,” he says. “Jake comes from the point of view of being a Marine and leans into that way of thinking because that’s what was ingrained in him about surviving. Pacifism and militarism are definitely going to come clashing.”

Avatar 2: Meet Jake And Neytiri’s Brand New Na’vi Family – Exclusive Image | Movies | Empire (empireonline.com)

Edited by ImNotExcited
  • Like 5

Reading that Jim might not direct A4 or A5 kind of dampened my mood a bit today, it just won't be the same even if a fairly capable director takes over.

I don't know if this is indicating some problems working with Disney behind the scene, or could be just him talking while  being burnt out a little bit from too much Avatar; hope for the latter but in any case, I think directing all Avatar sequels himself is still by far the most likely outcome!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Who wants to take a guess on how long this thing will be, given A1 is already 162 minutes? 

I'll put the O/U @ 175 minutes. 

wasnt there something that stopped imax movies from being longer than 3 hours ?

1 minute ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

No? 

Yes?

Up until the 45 min platter limitation was imposed by the system, feature length films were not able to be displayed in Imax installations. Nowadays that limitation has been overcome and the max length of 185 min means that blockbuster Hollywood feature films can be formatted for Imax distribution.

https://www.redsharknews.com/technology-computing/item/1754-the-staggering-size-and-scale-of-imax#:~:text=Up until the 45 min,be formatted for Imax distribution.

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Yes?

Up until the 45 min platter limitation was imposed by the system, feature length films were not able to be displayed in Imax installations. Nowadays that limitation has been overcome and the max length of 185 min means that blockbuster Hollywood feature films can be formatted for Imax distribution.

https://www.redsharknews.com/technology-computing/item/1754-the-staggering-size-and-scale-of-imax#:~:text=Up until the 45 min,be formatted for Imax distribution.

Ah yea, but this is an IMAX on film which isn't relevant anymore. Nearly all IMAX are digital now. 

• Thanks 1

I cannot imagine a scenario in the current year where even James Cameron would be allowed to put a three and a half hour movie in theaters, but I also never would’ve guessed that Matt Reeves would get to make a nearly three hour Batman movie. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I cannot imagine a scenario in the current year where even James Cameron would be allowed to put a three and a half hour movie in theaters, but I also never would’ve guessed that Matt Reeves would get to make a nearly three hour Batman movie. 

If anyone can get it, it's JC + Avatar + Christmas. He's earned all of that (at least for A2). I still imagine it'll be under 200 minutes though. 

He should have planned 2 more chapters to complete a trilogy.

Then if they were success after some years new chapters with new director in a new revival of the series would have been ok.

After 15 years of waiting and years of him talking about those avatar new movies as his omnia opera it would be very disappointed to see a new director for some of them. He can be a good screenplayer too but what makes great his screenplay is the way he directs. He's not a George Lucas