Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

13 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’ll admit, for all the talk about how no one remembers the first film, that is an impressive feat, even accounting for how old this thread is. 

The irony behind saying no one remembers the first film...

Then you got the fact they actual do you know, because everyone seen it.

I would have hoped people would have stopped spouting the reddit narrative by now, a serious echo chamber for internet nerds. Reality is people love Avatar. Expect 5 billie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Podcast with production designer Ben Procter - Avatar update starts at 7:00 minute mark, he doesn't reveal a whole lot except for a status update. He returns to Avatar towards the end around 58:30, no specific details divulged. 

• Like 1

I think the target should be releasing the new Avatar film on the 20th anniversary of the first film. We're getting pretty close to that, right? Sure seems like it. Although we're not so close to the anniversary to pressure finishing the new film. Gotta leave enough time to make sure that's done properly.

As far as the talk of the original being forgettable, that's a trick question. In and of itself, yes the first is very forgettable. However, it's like a JJ Abrams film. Avatar makes itself more memorable by including a heavy dose of member berries in the formula. The story line is pretty much Pocahontas in Space, so it is kind of hard to completely blank on the plot.

Edited by doublejack

On 6/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, IronJimbo said:

The irony behind saying no one remembers the first film...

Then you got the fact they actual do you know, because everyone seen it.

I would have hoped people would have stopped spouting the reddit narrative by now, a serious echo chamber for internet nerds. Reality is people love Avatar. Expect 5 billie

Factually wrong, my mum has never seen it.

43 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

prove it, i don't believe her

She just hasnt seen it. My dad and my sister did back in 2009, i did last year but my mum just was never interested in the film.

You know.

People like that exist :D

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

She just hasnt seen it. My dad and my sister did back in 2009, i did last year but my mum just was never interested in the film.

You know.

People like that exist :D

you ever consider that she's lying to you?

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

you ever consider that she's lying to you?

you ever consider i know my mum better than you?

Listen, i actually still appreciate your batshit craziness for all things Cameron, but right now, its time to stop this argument :)

43 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

you ever consider i know my mum better than you?

Listen, i actually still appreciate your batshit craziness for all things Cameron, but right now, its time to stop this argument :)

😘 by the sounds of it you don't, because I know that she keeps a copy of the bluray on her bedside table

the above is joke what I wanted to write but I'm worried you don't get humour too well and would take it seriously

Edited by IronJimbo

The cast as it stands today (source IMDB). 

Zoe Saldana...Neytiri 

Vin Diesel - rumoured 

Kate Winslet...Ronal 

Jemaine Clement...Dr. Ian Garvin 

David Thewlis...Peylak 

Sigourney Weaver...Dr. Grace Augustine 

Sam Worthington...Jake Sully 

Giovanni Ribisi...Parker Selfridge 

Michelle Yeoh...Dr. Karina Mogue 

Stephen Lang...Miles Quaritch 

Oona Chaplin...Varang 

Cliff Curtis...Tonowari 

Edie Falco...General Ardmore 

Joel David Moore...Norm Spellman 

Chloe Coleman...Young Lo'ak 

CCH Pounder...Mo'at 

Matt Gerald...Corporal Lyle Wainfleet 

Keston John...Va'ru 

Brendan Cowell...Scoresby 

Britain Dalton...Lo'ak

CJ Jones...Metkayina Interpreter 

Filip Geljo...Aonung of the Metkayina Clan

Jamie Flatters...Neteyam

Jack Champion...Javier 'Spider' Socorro

Scarlett Fernandez

Bailey Bass...Tsireya

Trinity Jo-Li Bliss...Tuktirey of the Sully Family (as Trinity Bliss)

Duane Evans Jr....Rotxo

Jeremy Irwin...Young Neteyam 

Jake McLean...Navi 

Johnny Alexander

Amanda...Acting Troupe (uncredited)

Ben Antoine...Acting Troupe (uncredited)

Christopher Troy...Acting Troupe (uncredited)

• Like 2

This should be pretty relevant for this thread. Assuming, we don't see a major drop in admissions for Avatar 2 from the original, which is frankly pretty unlikely. As you see, Toy Story is an established property, so it has pretty much eased itself in last 20 years, Avatar easing off will be much higher.

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

With just 4% decline in admissions, the box office in Europe's Big 5 decreased 31%, thanks to 3D decline and Exchange rates.

Toy Story 3 Toy Story 4
  Gross Admits ATP Normal ATP Ratio Gross Admits ATP Normal ATP Ratio
Germany €12,350,000 1,591,518 €7.76 €7.27 1.07 €6,562,627 896,430 €7.32 €8.63 0.85
Spain €24,985,715 3,625,033 €6.89 €6.35 1.09 €22,086,000 3,881,527 €5.69 €7.00 0.81
Italy €13,500,000 1,688,694 €7.99 €6.41 1.25 €6,800,000 1,022,066 €6.65 €6.45 1.03
France €32,000,000 4,353,253 €7.35 €6.33 1.16 €27,250,000 4,599,944 €5.92 €6.60 0.90
UK £73,791,000 10,500,000 €7.03 £5.95 1.18 £66,190,000 10,400,000 €6.36 £7.11 0.90

Total $219,724,249 21,758,498 $10.10     $153,185,396 20,799,967 $7.36    

Avatar grossed $685 million in these five countries, the sequel should target $375 million I guess. Overall Europe was $1.2 Billion, I will be very surprised if 2nd cross $700mn.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Haha 1

I do honestly think some people overestimate the drop this will see from Avatar while at the same time some people vastly underestimate the drop. My predictions for this (if its gets released at all that is :D ) something around 1,4 - 1,8B Worldwide.

Avatar was a phenomenon yeah. But the second time around, many people will just dont care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1