Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Jon Landau

WIDE SHOT: Our High Camp Bio Lab set on stages in New Zealand.

SECOND SHOT: Jim studying the set before filming. A salute to the Kiwi crew for their attention to the artistry of their crafts.

117260353_1062580624225920_4322318325306

117174438_1062580684225914_1590703503491

Edited by Deuce66
repost photos
  • Like 2

No doubt there will be manta ray styled creatures in the sequels.

Jon Landau 

Here are a couple more pictures of our pre-production cast immersion experience in Hawaii. First image: Bailey Bass, Cliff Curtis and Filip Geljo preparing to spend some family time together in the sequels. Second image: Our underwater experiences were capped off by a night dive with manta rays. Here is a manta ray swooping over a mesmerized Bailey Bass.

118308661_1073432219807427_5333305180453

118281962_1073432243140758_4197076640693

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Will it make enough to reclaim the #1 spot?

$7.5m or so to go, plus any extra change added to Endgame's gross since Disney last reported.

In other words, yes, almost certainly. The more important question is whether it can keep the lead after Endgame's expected re-release in China. I think it can do both.

Edited by hw64

Avatar would have the potential to do great in a China re-release under normal circumstances, but this date is a bit questionable. I heard that most Chinese college students are under fairly strict lock-down and can barely get to the theaters, September is usually a pretty down month in China even without the pandemic. Also, it pretty much has less than 2 weeks to earn money before the national day films rush in October.

My ideal Avatar re-release would be a simultaneous global large-scale release with enhanced visuals, but I guess under the circumstances this is fine.

On 9/3/2020 at 1:02 AM, NCsoft said:

Avatar would have the potential to do great in a China re-release under normal circumstances, but this date is a bit questionable. I heard that most Chinese college students are under fairly strict lock-down and can barely get to the theaters, September is usually a pretty down month in China even without the pandemic. Also, it pretty much has less than 2 weeks to earn money before the national day films rush in October.

My ideal Avatar re-release would be a simultaneous global large-scale release with enhanced visuals, but I guess under the circumstances this is fine.

they can re-release it again in a year no biggie, they just need to revive cinema and there's no better film. Seems like it's more that Chinese cinema needs a film to release, rather than Avatar looking to re-release if you know what I mean.

Also wonder what version of the film they're releasing? Not just in terms of the cut but in terms of the VFX.

Edited by IronJimbo

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

they can re-release it again in a year no biggie, they just need to revive cinema and there's no better film. Seems like it's more that Chinese cinema needs a film to release, rather than Avatar looking to re-release if you know what I mean.

Also wonder what version of the film they're releasing? Not just in terms of the cut but in terms of the VFX.

almost certainly just the original film.

also hey Jimbo, long time no see.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tree said:

almost certainly just the original film.

also hey Jimbo, long time no see.

Hey Avatree, hope you are well.

I've read that Jim's got an upgraded version ready for re-release, I think it got upscaled to 4k I can't remember. Most likely will be saving that for the mega re-release he had planned. Fuck knows when that will be thanks to Disney and Covid though.

55 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I've read that Jim's got an upgraded version ready for re-release, I think it got upscaled to 4k I can't remember.

I think he wanted to make an high dynamic range version in the past:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/james-cameron-titanic-20th-anniversary-avatar-terminator-fox-studios-sale

Like they did for Titanic:

https://www.displaydaily.com/paid-news/ldm/ldm-in-brief/ldm-cinema/titanic-remastered-in-dolby-vision-hdr-for-20th-anniversary

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

and by the dots all over her face along with the head rig she's playing a CGI character, does she return as her Avatar from the first movie? 

I would imagine so. I know Jim claims it's a new character but I don't believe him.

• Like 1