Peeta Tong Karanasios

Maleficent OS Thread

Disclaimer: prediction is based on similar movie chosen by me. Differences are in comparison between the two movies, not absolute guests.Similar: Oz TGaP 235 dom + 260 osKey differencesDisney's "Frozen effect" +10%Jolie boost +20% dom +35% osLesser knows characters -10% (os only)Too much dark for kids -5%No James Franco -10%Supporting role actress - 5%Elle Fanning dislike -5%Maleficent Dom 260 Os 290Other: Disney marketing effect is unpredictable: lacking (like Tangled) -10% or standard + 0% or good + 10% or masterpiece (like Frozen) + 25%I think good, so have a Final prediction to 285 dom and 325 os total 610 ww

Disney marketing will be good  :D

Already MAC will release a Maleficent makeup collection!

Disney marketing will be good  :D

Already MAC will release a Maleficent makeup collection!

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think that Maleficent could be the 2014's 'Lone Ranger'. A 'Sleeping Beauty' reboot based on villain's point of view now seems to me a silly idea: people is really interested to know how is born 'the mistress of all evil'? or a new perspective for Aurora character?  (novaday the nickname 'sleeping beauty' is often understood in a negative sense). I hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think that Maleficent could be the 2014's 'Lone Ranger'. A 'Sleeping Beauty' reboot based on villain's point of view now seems to me a silly idea: people is really interested to know how is born 'the mistress of all evil'? or a new perspective for Aurora character?  (novaday the nickname 'sleeping beauty' is often understood in a negative sense). I hope I'm wrong.

I don't know.

Some people have to understand that Maleficent won't be that scary film that everybody thinks it is!

It has PG rating like both Oz and Alice which means that the film may not be suitable for children!!!!

Its not like Harry potter films which have PG-13 rating and it means that there is material in the film that is not suitable for children under the age of 13.

And the last Harry Potter film(which by the way is my favourite :D ) reached $1.3b worldwide!

Its the same rating with Frozen!

Edited by PeetaKara

Finally box office.com released its prediction!

Lone range forecast:

Maleficent

PROS: 

- Even though it's still in its early stages, the marketing campaign has been very successful. We are very encouraged by the Facebook and Twitter activity that the film's trailers have generated.
- This will definitely tap into the same enthusiasm for female-driven Disney stories that turned Frozen into such a massive hit. 
- Few movie stars are more globally recognizable than star Angeline Jolie. All Jolie has to do is walk out of her house to generate a ton of publicity.
- This is the first tentpole of the summer that's aimed predominantly at women.

CONS:

- Maleficent will have to compete in a typically crowded summer marketplace. 
- Is it possible that younger moviegoers may not be familiar with the Maleficent character? 

And the prediction is:
$61,000,000 OW $191,000,000 Final

Do you agree?

Last year they said their prediction for Oz and they said that it will have an OW of $55m and $160 Final but Oz did $79,1 OW and $234.9 Final!

I think that something like this will happen with Maleficent.

Finally box office.com released its prediction!

Lone range forecast:

Maleficent

PROS: 

- Even though it's still in its early stages, the marketing campaign has been very successful. We are very encouraged by the Facebook and Twitter activity that the film's trailers have generated.
- This will definitely tap into the same enthusiasm for female-driven Disney stories that turned Frozen into such a massive hit. 
- Few movie stars are more globally recognizable than star Angeline Jolie. All Jolie has to do is walk out of her house to generate a ton of publicity.
- This is the first tentpole of the summer that's aimed predominantly at women.

CONS:

- Maleficent will have to compete in a typically crowded summer marketplace. 
- Is it possible that younger moviegoers may not be familiar with the Maleficent character? 

And the prediction is:
$61,000,000 OW $191,000,000 Final

Do you agree?

Last year they said their prediction for Oz and they said that it will have an OW of $55m and $160 Final but Oz did $79,1 OW and $234.9 Final!

I think that something like this will happen with Maleficent.

The facebook page of Maleficent has more likes than Oz!

And i don't agree withthe :Maleficent will have to compete in a typically crowded summer marketplace.

Because it opens on May the best month of the year and has still 2 weeks untill  How to train your dragon 2 opens!

It will have an OW of $80m!

Also BoxOffice.com predicted that Frozen will have just $180m.

And now it has near $400m!

:lol:

Frozen was such a good movie and will also give a boost to Maleficent!

Ok i don't say that maleficent will have 400m but 200+ for sure!

Disney wants home shoppers to go to the movies! :)

The studio has partnered with HSN in a unique deal to market three upcoming female-skewing films: MaleficentCinderella and The Hundred-Foot Journey. The retailer previously has held one-off movie collaborations, including with Disney for Oz the Great and Powerful, but the new two-year, three-film agreement marks the first such collaboration for both parties.

HSN will kick off its new partnership May 27 with a 24-hour programming event for Maleficent, featuring a collection of clothes, jewelry and home accessories in the spirit of Angelina Jolie’s villainous sorceress. “We’re not a network that just runs 30-second spots,” HSN Inc. chief marketing officer Bill Brand tells The Hollywood Reporter. “We’re about content-driven retail. That’s the beauty of our business model.”

Which 2014 Movies Could Reach $1 Billion? 

by box office mojo

Back in 2010, Alice in Wonderland became one of the rare "original" movies to earn over $1 billion worldwide. Remodeling iconic fantasies in big-budget live-action form has since become a major part of Disney's strategy. Unfortunately, Oz The Great and Powerful earned less than half as much as Alice in Wonderland, suggesting that movie's success was an anomaly. Featuring theSleeping Beauty villain as the protagonist, Maleficent is an even tougher sell. Odds: 10%

:) 

Which 2014 Movies Could Reach $1 Billion? 

by box office mojo

Back in 2010, Alice in Wonderland became one of the rare "original" movies to earn over $1 billion worldwide. Remodeling iconic fantasies in big-budget live-action form has since become a major part of Disney's strategy. Unfortunately, Oz The Great and Powerful earned less than half as much as Alice in Wonderland, suggesting that movie's success was an anomaly. Featuring theSleeping Beauty villain as the protagonist, Maleficent is an even tougher sell. Odds: 10%

:) 

:D

I think this one is difficult to predict.

Maleficent is a wild card to me and could break out like hell.  

It  has been 5 years since Jolie has been absent as an actress and she has mega charisma and international status.  Adults, not just children, but adults could flock en masse just to see her playing a villain.

• Like 2

Also BoxOffice.com predicted that Frozen will have just $180m.

And now it has near $400m!

:lol:

Frozen was such a good movie and will also give a boost to Maleficent!

Ok i don't say that maleficent will have 400m but 200+ for sure!

180M$ was a right prediction.....for Japan.

Serously Frozen as original movie is a fantastic (and I think unrepeatable for more time) boxoffice phenomenon all around the world, comparable only with Cameron's monsters Titanic and Avatar (in fact it's the 3rd highest grossing original movie of all-time) and Its run was absolutely unpredictable.

• Like 2