Peeta Tong Karanasios

Maleficent OS Thread

180M$ was a right prediction.....for Japan.

Serously Frozen as original movie is a fantastic (and I think unrepeatable for more time) boxoffice phenomenon all around the world, comparable only with Cameron's monsters Titanic and Avatar (in fact it's the 3rd highest grossing original movie of all-time) and Its run was absolutely unpredictable.

Do you think that they should make a sequel?

I don't know probably they can put some characters and create spin-offs with them but not a sequel!

:)

Do you think that they should make a sequel?

I don't know probably they can put some characters and create spin-offs with them but not a sequel!

:)

About Frozen 2, Disney Chairman Alan Horn recently said "Hasn’t Even Been Discussed", while is sure a Broadway adaptation like Lion King and Beauty & the Beast. Someone also speak about a crossover with Tangled characters.

I think the Disney's main problem now is how fill in Frozen's merchandise empty shelves of their stores.

• Like 1

There are 3 incredibly unpredictable movies this year, Godzilla for its Domestic potential, GotG, and this film.  I'd say this film is the most unpredictable of the 3.  500M WW wouldn't surprise me 900M WW wouldn't surprise me so I'll say 750M WW (Jolie boost and I think that Oz just didn't have the star power for OS).

Edited by 23IsEverywhere
  • Like 1

There are 3 incredibly unpredictable movies this year, Godzilla for its Domestic potential, GotG, and this film.  I'd say this film is the most unpredictable of the 3.  500M WW wouldn't surprise me 900M WW wouldn't surprise me so I'll say 750M WW (Jolie boost and I think that Oz just didn't have the star power for OS).

I agree

Its facebook page has so many likes!

if maleficent  do more than OZ WW i will be happy.

Disney not for sure.

Oz had a budget of 215 in production and another 100+ in distribution and marketing for a total of 320. It grossed 490, so studio revenues was 490x0,55=270. The result is a -50 even if dvd and bluray sales and rentals saved the day.

Maleficent budget is larger than Oz, so WW gross less than 600 means a disaster.

In comparison Frozen revenues for Disney (cinema, home cinema, gadgets, toys, books, theme park and music) are already more than 1 Billion.

• Like 1

Disney not for sure.

Oz had a budget of 215 in production and another 100+ in distribution and marketing for a total of 320. It grossed 490, so studio revenues was 490x0,55=270. The result is a -50 even if dvd and bluray sales and rentals saved the day.

Maleficent budget is larger than Oz, so WW gross less than 600 means a disaster.

In comparison Frozen revenues for Disney (cinema, home cinema, gadgets, toys, books, theme park and music) are already more than 1 Billion.

I read the budget is 170M if is higher it won't pass 215M (OZ), Maleficent doesn't need do 600M for give profit, OZ budget was 215M (total cost = 453M [With marketing, distribuiton, budget... all]) and it did 493M and gave 36M of profit for Disney.

• Like 1

I read the budget is 170M if is higher it won't pass 215M (OZ), Maleficent doesn't need do 600M for give profit, OZ budget was 215M (total cost = 453M [With marketing, distribuiton, budget... all]) and it did 493M and gave 36M of profit for Disney.

Everybody know that studio revenues are 55-60% of ticket price. Cinema guys works for free? And local tax?

You can find an example here: http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/budgets/

Look the table "Most Profitable Movies, Based on Absolute Profit on Worldwide Gross" and you see the studio revenues for each movie. N.1 Avatar had 1,74B$ vs a WW gross of 2,78B$

Edited by edroger

In fact I said "The result is a -50 even if dvd and bluray sales and rentals saved the day"

We should not just rely on the money at the box office, is the principal but not the only. The same way that there are other costs beyond the budget there are other ways to earn money. Oz wasn't a huge success but made profit and that's what matters for Disney

Edited by alisson23

Let's face it: Coming off a month packed with blockbusters like Spidey 2, Godzilla and X-Men: DoFP, Maleficent will be a tough sell. It will face greater competition than Oz. Jolie and her daughter aren't as intriguing an option as Kristen Stewart and Chirs Hemsworth for lead characters (SWATH). However, the 3D and the Disney marketing will help it barely surpass SWATH domestically. I say $165M.

Overseas, is the same. Sleeping Beauty is more popular than Oz, but competition is too much. However, given it has a two-week window before How to Train Your Dragon 2 is released in some markets and given that it is the summer season (so greater weekday grosses), I think it can make $290M, for a worlwide total of $455M.

180M$ was a right prediction.....for Japan.

Serously Frozen as original movie is a fantastic (and I think unrepeatable for more time) boxoffice phenomenon all around the world, comparable only with Cameron's monsters Titanic and Avatar (in fact it's the 3rd highest grossing original movie of all-time) and Its run was absolutely unpredictable.

Unajusted it's the third.... 

• Like 1

Disney not for sure.

well are you sure about the budget?

:mellow:

• Like 1

Let's face it: Coming off a month packed with blockbusters like Spidey 2, Godzilla and X-Men: DoFP, Maleficent will be a tough sell. It will face greater competition than Oz. Jolie and her daughter aren't as intriguing an option as Kristen Stewart and Chirs Hemsworth for lead characters (SWATH). However, the 3D and the Disney marketing will help it barely surpass SWATH domestically. I say $165M.

Overseas, is the same. Sleeping Beauty is more popular than Oz, but competition is too much. However, given it has a two-week window before How to Train Your Dragon 2 is released in some markets and given that it is the summer season (so greater weekday grosses), I think it can make $290M, for a worlwide total of $455M.

Kristen stewart is actually the most hated actress in the world...

Angelina Jolie is one of the most famous! :D

Also Maleficent has 

Sharlto Copley!

:D From District 9!

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't like Maleficent's release date either. It comes after 3 big blockbusters, doesn't have the full support of summer weekdays and faces a lot of competition on the 2 weekends after its release. It really needs all the female support it can get.

The competition is getting smaller and smaller!

Because the amazing spiderman 2 won't have legs untill the end of May

:) !

Maleficent's page has over 2m likes when Godzilla's hasn't even 900k yet!!!

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I wouldn't give too much importance to these kinds of numbers. The situation on YouTube is basically reversed, so how would you know which one to follow?

• Like 1