CloneWars

Jem and the Holograms | 10/23/2015

This is going to post some of the worst averages ever (daily, weekend, weekly) in over 2,000 theaters next week - possibly worse than Delgo or Oogieloves or Saw: 10th Anniversary. (Those only got one week before losing most of their theaters or closing entirely.)

Edited by TServo2049

6 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

This is going to post some of the worst averages ever (daily, weekend, weekly) in over 2,000 theaters next week - possibly worse than Delgo or Oogieloves or Saw: 10th Anniversary. (Those only got one week before losing most of their theaters or closing entirely.)

And Jem is apparently expanding by 4 theaters this weekend from the Box Office Mojo charts.  That should be insignificant for the average, but it does show that theaters cannot drop the film immediately.   They are probably locked into showing the film by contracts with Universal.

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

Surely it was a good decision to market this towards today's teens and not to people who actually remember the franchise. 

... Wait it wasn't? 

My only question is...was the TV show's original audience/fandom large enough to begin with? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jem was never a huge smash or a cultural phenomenon. I don't think it even reached cult status.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

My only question is...was the TV show's original audience/fandom large enough to begin with? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jem was never a huge smash or a cultural phenomenon. I don't think it even reached cult status.

They could've made it identical to the show and I still doubt anybody would have seen it.

from what I know about the show it would be better suited for a live action show on Disney Channel rather than a movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

It was big enough in the 1980s to compete with Barbie for a few years, and its TV show originally went from a 5 minute show within "Super Sunday" with other Hasbro shows like Bigfoot and Robotix, to its own weekly one, and then finally in 1987 to a full 65 episode syndicated one.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

They could've made it identical to the show and I still doubt anybody would have seen it.

from what I know about the show it would be better suited for a live action show on Disney Channel rather than a movie.

Yes, I will say that Jem would have been low even if it had been more faithful.  However, I will say it would have avoided the worst ever numbers it's getting now if the original fans were on board.  The thousands of more tickets that could have been sold might have meant the difference between a $2 million total domestic run and a $10 million one.  The weekend holds would have been much better.

Also, Hasbro wanted a home run from Jem right now, right this second, when they needed to reintroduce Jem first before the movie.  Nobody wants to do any brand building anymore: everyone wants an instant hit right now, without any effort whatsoever.  Its lifespan on future outlets like DVD, VOD, and Netflix would have had far more potential with a more faithful adaptation of the cartoon.  Was that how Pitch Perfect became a hit after it was in theaters?

• Like 2

Boxoffice.com says Jem had a $120 average for the entire weekend.  The daily averages this week might fall to levels lower than the cost for snacks in those same theaters.  Four more days of this for theaters to endure, then they can finally drop it.  And yes, the number of theaters that will drop it by Friday will be truly outrageous.

And the international releases are going forward, as I saw this on Twitter for the Philippines and the Ayala Malls Cinemas.  It says it will start there November 4, just a couple days before the U.S. theaters can drop the Jem movie entirely.

Edited by Outrageous!

On 31/10/2015, 20:01:21, Cochofles said:

I'm not a 100% sure but I remember reading that it was the ratings leader when it came to programming targeted towards young girls in the mid 80's. Will check for a source later. And as Outrageous! said, the dolls outsold even Barbie, prompting Mattel to start their own "Rockstar Barbie" line to compete. And the soundtrack sales were pretty huge too. 

On 31/10/2015, 22:09:06, Outrageous! said:

Yes, I will say that Jem would have been low even if it had been more faithful.  However, I will say it would have avoided the worst ever numbers it's getting now if the original fans were on board.  The thousands of more tickets that could have been sold might have meant the difference between a $2 million total domestic run and a $10 million one.  The weekend holds would have been much better.

Also, Hasbro wanted a home run from Jem right now, right this second, when they needed to reintroduce Jem first before the movie.  Nobody wants to do any brand building anymore: everyone wants an instant hit right now, without any effort whatsoever.  Its lifespan on future outlets like DVD, VOD, and Netflix would have had far more potential with a more faithful adaptation of the cartoon.  Was that how Pitch Perfect became a hit after it was in theaters?

If the movie had been faithful and successfully updated the franchise for the modern age, it could have not only had the original fans on board but also attracted younger audiences. But you are spot on with the folly of not trying to refresh the brand's appeal through something like a rebooted animated tv show first ala MLP. The comic was too little, too late, and the creative team of Kelly Thompson and Sophie Campbell said they were the ones who pitched the idea to the publishing company IDW, not Hasbro. Lazy cashgrab gets what lazy cashgrab deserves. 

• Like 2