CloneWars

Jem and the Holograms | 10/23/2015

Wow. Josie and the Pussycats flopped that hard? Weird, it seems to have become a pop-culture punchline in the years since release, would have thought more people would have watched it considering that.

It's become something of a cult favorite in recent years.

• Like 3

Juliette Lewis as the sleazy music exec is pretty rad casting, but it looks like a disney channel original to me.

I was going to say she played the same role in Josie and the Pussycats but it turns out that was Parker Posey

New trailer, at least it sorta has elements of the cartoon now...sort of. 

Ok, I gotta admit that I kinda got misty eyed when Jem's father said, “In my heart you'll always be my gem.”

I never watched the cartoon (it seemed like a big fat ball of glittery, pink shit), but this film looks cute. Yeah, go ahead and make fun of me. I am looking forward to this.

• Like 1

I never watched the cartoon (it seemed like a big fat ball of glittery, pink shit)

Mess at you, Cocho. The show was one of the earliest examples of a children's entertainment product featuring strong, independent and diverse female characters. There's little to match it even in current times. Which is why this trainwreck is a tragedy instead of being hilarious. :( 

• Like 1

Mess at you, Cocho. The show was one of the earliest examples of a children's entertainment product featuring strong, independent and diverse female characters. There's little to match it even in current times. Which is why this trainwreck is a tragedy instead of being hilarious. :(

That's why my previous post has two key parts: "I never watched it" and "it seemed like...shit." 

I will give it a try now thanks to what you said about the diversity and strength of the characters.

What always turned me off was the whole color palette with its shocking pinks and glitter and "girly" stuff; the show seemed to me like the ultimate piece of eighties gendered kitsch.

That's why my previous post has two key parts: "I never watched it" and "it seemed like...shit." 

I will give it a try now thanks to what you said about the diversity and strength of the characters.

What always turned me off was the whole color palette with its shocking pinks and glitter and "girly" stuff; the show seemed to me like the ultimate piece of eighties gendered kitsch.

What's the problem with a show entirely directed towards girls?

What's the problem with a show entirely directed towards girls?

I never said that a show entirely directed towards girls is inherently wrong. I am a woman and I love anything that's aimed at female audiences. I am just not a huge fan of assigning rigidly-defined gender markers (pink versus blue, princesses versus action heroes, words like "chick flicks," etc) to entertainment. That's just me. I am not saying that that there's anything factually and unequivocally wrong about it...I just don't care for that stuff.

Those things turned me off from Jem.

But, like I said, to me, this film looks cute.

Edited by cochofles

Is Universal using this movie as a cheap way to get out of their contract with Hasbro?

Hasbro don't seem to be making any toys for it (and it looks like they haven't made toys for this property since 1987).

The show is before my time, and honestly I've never even heard of it. I know He-Man because it was revived for a bit (and really boring btw) as well as being referenced on other shows like Family Guy etc. I know ThunderCats because of older relatives that used to watch it, but Jem and the Holograms is something I've only come across due to the movie being announced.

Out of everything Hasbro's got why pick the dormant franchise only known to 35 year olds, from the 80s?

• Like 1

How much is this supposed to make? I guess I am not the target audience at all and I shouldn't make any sort of predictions. 

This reminds me of that Josie & the Pussycats flop that was also released by Universal way back in 2001. Fully expecting a similar gross here.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=josieandthepussycats.htm

A $7 million opening weekend, and $17 million domestic total is projected by BoxOffice.com. There is a good chance this movie may end up opening lower than that, even lower than the non inflation adjusted numbers of Josie and the Pussycats, a $4.5 million opening weekend and $14.2 million domestic total. I have seen very little hype for this movie, a month away from its release date. The big reason I think this movie will flop is because it simply does not look like it will be fun to watch. It feels like it will be a chore to sit through, while Jem the cartoon had fun moments everywhere when it was on the air.

Edited by Outrageous!