CloneWars

Jem and the Holograms | 10/23/2015

There is an audience for this ?

Who ?

I want names.

The property wasn't nurtured as other 80s toy properties (GI Joe, Transformers, TMNT) were. Despite that, it was popular in the 80s, and has done fairly well on reruns since then. Still, between May of 1988 and March of this year, there was literally nothing officially new added to the franchise, as far as I know. That left a fanbase that is dedicated, but not especially wide.

It seems that this film is almost a fishing attempt to see if there's possible future profit there. If they can get a new slate of fans interested, it could do quite well.

The downside, though, is that the existing fanbase could be alienated and won't turn up.

We'll have to see which way it goes.

• Like 2

The property wasn't nurtured as other 80s toy properties (GI Joe, Transformers, TMNT) were. Despite that, it was popular in the 80s, and has done fairly well on reruns since then. Still, between May of 1988 and March of this year, there was literally nothing officially new added to the franchise, as far as I know. That left a fanbase that is dedicated, but not especially wide.

It seems that this film is almost a fishing attempt to see if there's possible future profit there. If they can get a new slate of fans interested, it could do quite well.

The downside, though, is that the existing fanbase could be alienated and won't turn up.

We'll have to see which way it goes.

There is new survey data at Variety that strongly suggests the latter option you mentioned is far more likely.  Jem is far back on the survey's scale, and is at the bottom of the movies they mention: 127 points out of 1,000.  A lot of Jem cartoon fans have not been supportive of this movie going back to the first trailer from May.  Anticipation that low suggests a terrible opening weekend and run.  Universal may be having a record year with a lot of their movies opening to huge numbers, but for Jem and the Holograms at least, Universal's luck will run out.

Edited by Outrageous!
  • Like 1

There is an audience for this ?

Who ?

I want names.

The show apparently enjoyed Hannah Montana-levels of popularity during its time, and the dolls actually outsold Barbie in the 80's. But as DamienRoc said, they did not do anything with it since earlier this year when a new comic came out, so the fanbase never grew except for maybe the children and acquaintances of the previous fanbase, and some kids who caught it on syndicated reruns. And the trailers showing none of what made the show appealing in the first place has majorly repulsed that limited but existing fanbase too. 

A new prediction from Filmonic estimates $3,000,000 to $4,000,000 for opening weekend, and a $7,000,000 total for the domestic run.

Today is the cartoon's 30th birthday.  So, what did I see Scooter Braun do after helping steer this movie so far away from the original Jem cartoon?  Why, I saw him announce his own music cartoon at Billboard.  They ask about "classic animated music fare" and one particular 1980s cartoon is not mentioned, although this movie is.

Edited by Outrageous!

A new prediction from Filmonic estimates $3,000,000 to $4,000,000 for opening weekend, and a $7,000,000 total for the domestic run.

Today is the cartoon's 30th birthday.  So, what did I see Scooter Braun do after helping steer this movie so far away from the original Jem cartoon?  Why, I saw him announce his own music cartoon at Billboard.  They ask about "classic animated music fare" and one particular 1980s cartoon is not mentioned, although this movie is.

ROFL looks like the poor man's Jem but with a majority of boy bander wannabes. 

Btw, you should check out the new Jem and the Holograms comic if you aren't already reading it. A much better modernization of the franchise without losing any of its fundamental elements.

The "Jembargo" is now in effect (it really is such an easy combo to make).  On Twitter, it was mentioned there is a review embargo on Jem the Movie until October 22, which would be when the Thursday previews start.  I'm surprised Thursday previews are still scheduled for this if there is a review embargo.  I thought Universal would simply release this on Friday, October 23, like I believe Hotel Transylvania 2 did last month.

I saw this on Twitter: Jon M. Chu with "Synergy" at a press event but not the Synergy most fans were hoping for in this movie.

I am not entirely convinced that this is even a real movie.

A lot of Jem cartoon fans feel the same way, but nothing has stopped the producers so far from going forward and releasing the film.  Fans have noted that the Jem makeup line at Sephora uses the classic Jem logo, not the new one created for the movie, if that is worth mentioning for the merchandise.

Well, at least Universal might even make a profit on this.

That I doubt.

It is true that Universal won't suffer as badly, as in not at all, from a poor box office showing for Jem, compared to what Fox suffered through for Fantastic Four.  Still, it hasn't helped its reputation among Jem fans that Universal is willing to put out, as Jerrica Benton said about the Misfits in the first cartoon episode, "this trash."  Yeah, I know that doesn't mean squat in the movie business.  This movie looks like it will be joining The Last Airbender and Dragonball Evolution among the worst live-action movies ever produced based on an animated property.  If reviews for this movie were expected to be good, you would think Universal would want that out there well before the movie's release, after the negative reaction to the trailer earlier this year.

Edited by Outrageous!

There is new survey data at Variety that strongly suggests the latter option you mentioned is far more likely.  Jem is far back on the survey's scale, and is at the bottom of the movies they mention: 127 points out of 1,000.  A lot of Jem cartoon fans have not been supportive of this movie going back to the first trailer from May.  Anticipation that low suggests a terrible opening weekend and run.  Universal may be having a record year with a lot of their movies opening to huge numbers, but for Jem and the Holograms at least, Universal's luck will run out.

I doubt Universal luck all run out. Even when Steve Jobs officially goes wide that very same weekend that this film opens

I doubt Universal luck all run out. Even when Steve Jobs officially goes wide that very same weekend that this film opens

Then why did Universal move around the Steve Jobs release in the first place then?  It was supposed to open wide this weekend, on October 9, but instead is opening wide on October 23, pushing Jem into lower-tier status at Universal.  I will say they wanted to avoid press about Jem's box office total if that was the only movie they were opening wide on the 23, and instead have the box office reports focus on Steve Jobs' box office performance when it goes wide.

Edited by Outrageous!