CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

8 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Here:

Aladdin >>> Episode 9 >>>> The Lion King >>>>>>> Frozen 2 >>>>>>>>>>> Maleficent 2 >>>>>>>>> Ad Astra >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Spiderman 7 >>>>>>>> Avengers 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Phoenix >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dumbo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Captain Marvel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Toy Story 18

They start getting bad from Spiderman downwards...

This man really put Dark Phoenix ahead of TS lol

10 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Is Toy Story 4 going to be the best Disney movie this year?

But no, I really do agree with the notion that Aladdin beats out TS4, even if just by a tad. Endgame was a fantastic movie, but having seen it three times now, it's much less appealing upon additional viewings. The three hours fly by in the first viewing, but drag on in subsequent screenings. Aladdin and TS4 are both movies I can (and have) watch several times over and not feel remotely grating.

Aladdin>TS4>Endgame>CM for me

Edited by Terraforce
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

I'm greedy but I hope a Toy Story 5 and so on happens as long as it's not contrived. This is just a universe that they can keep going back to over and over again and it's always a pleasure. I do wonder why Woody 

Spoiler

and Bo didn't just go with the gang?! That was kind of bizarre to me, there just was no reason, they could have pursued their relationship just like they did in Toy Story 2 and just be a family together.

I have no doubt that the Forky shorts will lead to more of that kind, and Pixar is just so inventive and creative, you can take the gang and put them on all kinds of different adventures and it just works.

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 2

I’m curious about which parts of the film people found so emotional? 

The other films I get it, but I didn’t feel any emotional beats in this one. Not in the slightest. 

3/5 from me. Same level as SLOP2 tbh. Hope it’s the end of Woody, I’m so tired of him jumping out of windows on repeat. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’m curious about which parts of the film people found so emotional? 

The other films I get it, but I didn’t feel any emotional beats in this one. Not in the slightest. 

3/5 from me. Same level as SLOP2 tbh. Hope it’s the end of Woody, I’m so tired of him jumping out of windows on repeat. 

I mean, Pixar makes it pretty obvious in their flicks. Not hard to guess. Can't spoil here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Disney estimate probably will be $ 57M, but based on Sat, final numbers tomorrow should be +58M

That's....eh....okay I guess. Considering this is a dead weekend for releases, I'd think a sub-50% drop would make sense. I'd expect a drop similar to Finding Dory, Toy Story 3, and Monsters University. Incredibles 2 dropped 56% but it's OW was SO high that it makes sense. TS4's OW was a bit muted so I'd expect a drop of around 46/47% ($64-$65 million).

Unless its drops level off, TS4 will struggle to make it to $400 million which will be a rather big disappointment if it misses. Not only missing TS3's adjusted but missing the unadjusted as well, with a bigger opening. Not so great.

14 minutes ago, jedijake said:

That's....eh....okay I guess. Considering this is a dead weekend for releases, I'd think a sub-50% drop would make sense. I'd expect a drop similar to Finding Dory, Toy Story 3, and Monsters University. Incredibles 2 dropped 56% but it's OW was SO high that it makes sense. TS4's OW was a bit muted so I'd expect a drop of around 46/47% ($64-$65 million).

Unless its drops level off, TS4 will struggle to make it to $400 million which will be a rather big disappointment if it misses. Not only missing TS3's adjusted but missing the unadjusted as well, with a bigger opening. Not so great.

TS4 should pass $ 300M by next weekend already, unless competition hit it really hard i think it will pass $ 400M, which is more than almost everyone was expecting 2 months ago.

It's probably missing TS3 unadjusted gross though, but i'm totally fine with this. I'm just ignoring all the madness about tracking and predictions after that [including my own] and trying to judge it for what it is, a smash hit which will come really close to the last one even being a fourth movie that everyone though is unnecessary. 

FWIW, if Toy Story follows Incredibles 2 for the rest of its run, that translates to about 412M. Far From Home will definitely ding it quite a bit, but it should at least come close to 400M, give or take a few millies.

Wow, this really didn't hold up well on repeat viewing for me. Now this is far and away my least favorite in the franchise and probably only above the Cars trilogy and Brave for Pixar movies. It's interesting how much of a TLJ this movie really pulls, yet oddly enough there has been very little backlash over it. 

Spoiler

I mean really, this is a pretty big character assassination of Woody when you get down to it. The entire trilogy is built on his character's belief that toys are meant to be loved by kids and that is their purpose. So for him to abandon all that at the end really goes against what fundamentally makes him him in the prior films. With that said, I think the reason it's not TLJ level offense is because Pixar does spend the whole film building up to it and setting a series of factors that contribute to this change. In this sense, the execution is about as good as it could have been for this drastic character shift, so it's not like RJ who basically just said "this is the new Luke Skywalker with no build up to why he's a different character, DEAL WITH IT or you're a whiny troll." But with that said, Woody's choice still just doesn't sit too well for me. I mean yes, it works in the context of this one film, but not in the context of the franchise that preceded it. Woody simply would never do that, and even Bo at one point in this movie notes this out loud and says that steadfastness to his beliefs is what she loves about him *cue him completely abandoning said beliefs 15 minutes later*

This movie also paints a BLEAK picture of what these toy's worlds are. I mean everyone in this movie seems like they're being tossed aside and forgotten and completely desperate for some kind of attention and affection. The movie has explored these themes before of course, but not to this extent where it paints such a depressing picture that that's all every toy's life is. I also realized this time just how much every other returning character is marginalized in favor of a bunch of new toys who really are neither as endearing or humorous of additions as the OG roster they sidelined. Even Bonnie's toys introduced in TS3 feel like they had more potential to expand their presence over most of the newbies. 

This movie very much feels like Pixar and Disney are trying to set up a new era of Toy Story films. It really does feel like the framework for them to be able to continue this franchise indefinitely compared to the closed and shut perfect ending of TS3. I mean, if Woody of all toys abandon having a kid, how long before the rest of Andy's toys want to follow suit? What kind of adventures are Bo and Woody going to get into now that they're just out and about in the world? They are clearly setting this up to keep going. I mean this movie was already so unnecessary so I don't even have strong feelings about them continuing on at this point, but man how I wish they would have left the perfect trilogy alone. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

TS4 should pass $ 300M by next weekend already, unless competition hit it really hard i think it will pass $ 400M, which is more than almost everyone was expecting 2 months ago.

It's probably missing TS3 unadjusted gross though, but i'm totally fine with this. I'm just ignoring all the madness about tracking and predictions after that [including my own] and trying to judge it for what it is, a smash hit which will come really close to the last one even being a fourth movie that everyone though is unnecessary. 

Almost everyone was expecting less than $400 million 2 months ago? I don't think so. Many expected $500 million.

12 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Almost everyone was expecting less than $400 million 2 months ago? I don't think so. Many expected $500 million.

Actually almost everyone on this board was saying sub 400 before tracking. Lots of people were saying sub 300, which was absurd to me. 

Here are the summer game predictions. Not sure if presales had hit yet.

Spoiler

Ms Lady Hawk 480

AndyLL 456

Empire 453

Sheikh 400.95

MovieMan89 400

JJ8 383.6

Fancyarcher 380

MrPink 380

CoolEric258 370

Panamovie 365.6

captainwondyful 362.15

Infernus 360

Mike Hunt 360

24Lost 350

BobDole 350

NannerManCan 350

Simionski 350

ZeeSoh 350

Jake Gittes 338

Chasmmi 335

Wrath 335

WrathOfHan 335

Cmasterclay 330

glassfairy 325

bcf26 320

Kalo 320

kayumanggi 300

Panda 265

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Yes, actually more than half of this board was expecting around $ 300M.

A few people are expecting $ 350 - 400M, the BOP first tracking also points $ 390M and that's where it will land so it's doing better than most of us predict before Deadline say $ 180 - 200M based on first day presales.

There's nothing wrong with TS4 numbers, it's doing what it was supposed to do. The only problem here is the absurd tracking last month followed by almost everyone [including me] jumping their predictions to +500M because of this. But ignoring all this madness, yes, it's doing better than initially expected. 

• Like 2

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, actually more than half of this board was expecting around $ 300M.

A few people are expecting $ 350 - 400M, the BOP first tracking also points $ 390M and that's where it will land so it's doing better than most of us predict before Deadline say $ 180 - 200M based on first day presales.

There's nothing wrong with TS4 numbers, it's doing what it was supposed to do. The only problem here is the absurd tracking last month followed by almost everyone [including me] jumping their predictions to +500M because of this. But ignoring all this madness, yes, it's doing better than initially expected. 

It's doing exactly what I always predicted before pre-sales fucked with me. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's doing exactly what I always predicted before pre-sales fucked with me. 

Same. I always thought the idea of TS4 doing more than Dory and I2 rather preposterous prior to presales as Dory and I2 were much more wanted/waited for sequels, hell the latter had a family film drought for 6 months. TS4 was unwanted at first especially after 3’s perfect ending and the fact 3 was 9 years ago. Just because a franchise is more popular doesn’t mean it’ll jump higher, otherwise I2 would be smaller than Dory.

• Like 1