CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

6 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I may be wrong. Sure was with Incredibles. But I also feel like this has more negative baggage attached to it than I2. No idea how it would manifest at the box office, but I just don't see people being absolutely psyched for it in the same way.

Problem is Toy Story 3 was such a  perfect end for the series...the circle is complete...that any film that is just an adventure with the Toy Story charecters is going to disappoint.

There’s actually too much family entertainment for 2019’s summer so something is bound to disappoint.  Pikachu benefits by being first out the gate.

I reckon Aladdin, SLOP2 and TS4 cannabilize each other some.  I could see all three of those under 300m when in a better spot they could be 400m+ hits.

Not to forget Spidey, A4 have kid appeal and as soon as TLK trailer drops parents will probably plan for that over taking their kids to SLOP or TS4

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PANDA said:

There’s actually too much family entertainment for 2019’s summer so something is bound to disappoint.  Pikachu benefits by being first out the gate.

I reckon Aladdin, SLOP2 and TS4 cannabilize each other some.  I could see all three of those under 300m when in a better spot they could be 400m+ hits.

Not to forget Spidey, A4 have kid appeal and as soon as TLK trailer drops parents will probably plan for that over taking their kids to SLOP or TS4

Although it should be noted Uglydolls opens the same week Pikachu does (I doubt it’ll do more than $15M OW and that’s generous) I agree Pikachu will be the first benefit as it’s first, not to mention trailer views even though I obviously know aren’t the end all be all of films, especially for family films, the ones with huge views tend to best (I2 is a major example of that)

I’ve been saying the second part for months now. The fact that the latter two’s views are somewhat low and come within two weeks with in one another will only hurt everyone. And with Lion King looming both need the most effective marketing as well as time but thanks to the schedule in 2019, it’s impossible for everyone. Hell even January-March is stacked, Kid King opens January 22nd, Lego 2 is February 8th, Dragon 3 is February 22nd, Wonder Park is March 15th and Dumbo is March 29th. Everyone imho will hurt somewhat 2019 due to how packed the schedule is.

Also in terms of competition, Dark Phoenix (although I doubt it’ll go over $150M DOM) opens the same day as Pets 2 and will take some families.

• Like 1

I don't think that Aladdin and TS4 will completely cannibalize each other. I think that people planning to see those two movies will do so regardless. Same for LK. There may be a slight decrease in revenue for Aladdin and TS4 compared to what they'd do without each other, but it may not be a terribly large amount. I think that SLOP2, while doing well, will be the one to take some what of a hit.

There's no way TS4 or Aladdin make under $300 million. I can see Aladdin doing under $400 million but I cannot at all see TS4 making under $400 million. I could a year ago, but not now. It's not because of the teaser but because of knowing how much TS is loved.

Meanwhile, I can easily see SLOP2 making under $300 million and suspect that it will.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Although it should be noted Uglydolls opens the same week Pikachu does (I doubt it’ll do more than $15M OW and that’s generous) I agree Pikachu will be the first benefit as it’s first, not to mention trailer views even though I obviously know aren’t the end all be all of films, especially for family films, the ones with huge views tend to best (I2 is a major example of that)

I’ve been saying the second part for months now. The fact that the latter two’s views are somewhat low and come within two weeks with in one another will only hurt everyone. And with Lion King looming both need the most effective marketing as well as time but thanks to the schedule in 2019, it’s impossible for everyone. Hell even January-March is stacked, Kid King opens January 22nd, Lego 2 is February 8th, Dragon 3 is February 22nd, Wonder Park is March 15th and Dumbo is March 29th. Everyone imho will hurt somewhat 2019 due to how packed the schedule is.

Also in terms of competition, Dark Phoenix (although I doubt it’ll go over $150M DOM) opens the same day as Pets 2 and will take some families.

Weird how the last two years have been fairly barren for family films (bar a few standout hits)

Yet 2019 is absolutely stacked with them.

Then again, 2019 is the most stacked year I’ve seen for big franchise films.  I think that might end up hurting a few films that could otherwise be billion dollar hits.

• Like 2

I love the marketing so far. Both teasers were great (I still don't know nothing about the plot, which is great) and all 4 posters (Woody!).

I don't get it the negative response. The names of Ducky and Bunny and Forky are exactly what child could come up with. The teasers will be definitively funny and appealing for kids and parents in cinemas.

Toy Story is a huge brand. No matter how big the competition is going to be, I think TS4 will be huge hit next summer. All fans form the lat 23 years will go to see it on a big screen. I'm thinking about $475 mln domestic (even $550 wouldn't surprise me) and $700-800 overseas right now.

BTW, Toy Story 3 is the last movie i gave 10/10. It's been over 8 years and I still haven't seen movie worth max. grade as TS3 is. :)

I could definitely get behind a them of imagination where kids take every day objects and make them into play things, blurring the lines between what is and isn't a toy.

I could also get behind the idea (if true) about TS1-3 being the "Andy years" and TS 4-6 being the "Bonnie Years" and then having them somehow link the two again when Andy and Bonnie are MUCH older and the toys are now antiques and they are reunited.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jedijake said:

I could definitely get behind a them of imagination where kids take every day objects and make them into play things, blurring the lines between what is and isn't a toy.

I could also get behind the idea (if true) about TS1-3 being the "Andy years" and TS 4-6 being the "Bonnie Years" and then having them somehow link the two again when Andy and Bonnie are MUCH older and the toys are now antiques and they are reunited.

I can get behind that too, with one caveat: they CAN'T play any finale card in this one if that's the case. No advertising it like this is the big emotional sendoff for real this time, because they already did that with TS3 and doing it again when this is actually the start of a new trilogy would be extremely off putting.

Also I'm pretty sure Pixar was actually initially saying that this movie is intended to be the start of a Bonnie trilogy.

Edited by MovieMan89

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I can get behind that too, with one caveat: they CAN'T play any finale card in this one if that's the case. No advertising it like this is the big emotional sendoff for real this time, because they already did that with TS3 and doing it again when this is actually the start of a new trilogy would be extremely off putting.

Also I'm pretty sure Pixar was actually initially saying that this movie is intended to be the start of a Bonnie trilogy.

Agreed. But this one could have an emotional ending itself.

One thing occurred to me which really applies to the world of toys. Most of us (depending on ages) remember a time when we played with toys the way Andy did and the way Bonnie seems to. However, in this day and age, there are so many electronic gadgets, video games, cell phones, etc, which have seemed to replace actual toys for many people. I wonder if that will eventually find its way into the TS franchise as a theme.

I was also thinking of the idea that either Andy or Bonnie would/could grow up to be an actual toy creator. Would be an interesting direction to go.

May and June this year are absolutely insane, I really think they should have spaced the movies a bit better, the way they are, they are going to cannibalize each other. Just like Solo this year I think we'll have a big underperformer next year as well. My predictions: 

May: 

1. Avengers 4: $630M (will move to April)

2. Detective Pikachu: $255M

3. Aladdin: $205M

4. Godzilla 2: $180M

June: 

1. Toy Story 4: $310M

2. The Secret Life of Pets 2: $295M

3. Dark Phoenix: $135M (doubt it releases on that date)

4. Men in Black: $95M

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

$205 million for Aladdin???

$310 million for TS4???

Those are crazy low numbers. Aladdin will open with at least $120 million. TS4 will pass $300 million in its 2nd or 3rd weekend.

It’s not impossible. No thought Solo would do $210M DOM. Both are in a very competitive summer for families more-so than 2017 or 2018.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jedijake said:

$205 million for Aladdin???

$310 million for TS4???

Those are crazy low numbers. Aladdin will open with at least $120 million. TS4 will pass $300 million in its 2nd or 3rd weekend.

Aladdin seems like the one film that’s gonna get the short end of the stick being sandwich between Avengers/Pikachu and SLOP2/Toy Story 4. 

But who knows. If they can get it right, it can breakout. But like not every film is going to make the max it can simply because of competition. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Aladdin seems like the one film that’s gonna get the short end of the stick being sandwich between Avengers/Pikachu and SLOP2/Toy Story 4. 

But who knows. If they can get it right, it can breakout. But like not every film is going to make the max it can simply because of competition. 

SLOP2 also has the short end as it opens the same day as an X-Men movie that can take some families. It and Aladdin have it the worst in my opinion.

• Like 1