CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

I don't know...maybe I've watched too many movies...but I've got retreads of the other movies, swipes from other movies, and almost a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" vibe from the trailer.  And a crying kid, b/c we'll pull the emotional heart strings.  Maybe I've just grown past the characters myself.

Said by the cynical lover of the best trilogy of all time - Toy Story.  This new movie could never be for me, b/c it can only go down here.

That being said.  Disney, if you give me a ticket deal, I'll be there.  If you don't and Pets 2 does (even though Pets 1 was subpar), I'll be there, instead.  Both seem like they fit the "entertain kids" bill, so I'll let the price decide:).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

They certainly could have done better than a spork. If my daughter came home with something like that when she was in day care or kindergarten (and she did), it would probably end up in the trash a few days later. Not because we'd take it from her but because there's no way a fork action figure would keep her attached for more than a few minutes.

But the movie looks like typical TS fun and will make mid-$400 millions domestic and break $1 billion WW. For sure.

I still don’t think mid $400M is happening. High $300M to low $400M seems likely, if Pets 2, Aladdin and Pikachu are all aiming for $300M DOM, this will likely take the brunt as families even in the summer can only choose so many films.

11 hours ago, catlover said:

The Incredibles: 97% on RT 8.33

Incredibles 2: 94% on RT 7.86

Finding Nemo: 99% on RT 8.69

Finding Dory: 94% on RT 7.63

I guess liking critically well-recieved movies means you have incredibly low standards. 🤷‍♂️

Look at the average rating. % don't mean shit but you already knew that.

Also, where is Monsters Uni and Cars 2 & 3? Didn't want to put that in did you? 

Why people defend crap to the hilt is beyond me. You don't make any $ off being a spokesperson so why are you so offended? Funnily enough, it's always with Disney affiliated things.

Trailer for this is finally out and surprise, surprise, it looks boring and pointless. All it does is dilute the effect of the "close" which was TS3. 

Did this story need to be told? (Pixar's old refrain) Did we need to see Woody chasing after yet another toy going through yet another existential crisis and ending up meeting yet another tyrannical villain toy? It's played out. This has even less of a leg to stand on than all of their previous sequels except Cars 2. 

Finally, and maybe people have forgotten, Pixar started out with a sterling record and reputation. They made great movies and had integrity. Over the years, they've buckled under Disney pressure and the old Brain Trust grew egotistical and close-minded. We all now know about Lasseter, but Andrew Stanton was another who got too big for his boots. Pixar, for all its inclusivity in its films, was a boys club and whilst that didn't prevent them from succeeding and telling great stories when they were young, ambitious and hungry, their lack of diversity and sputtering innovation has led them to this period of middling movies, mostly sequels, and stories that definitely would not be missed had they never made it on screen. The old mantra of "needing to be told" is dead. 

I hope with Lasseter gone and Docter leading, with the Spark Shorts, that a new era will be heralded in, but so far, there has been no proof. They really should get rid of Ed Catmull as well, the asshole who conspired to suppress not only his staff's, but the entire industry's wages. 

Edited by BK007
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Why people defend crap to the hilt is beyond me. You don't make any $ off being a spokesperson so why are you so offended? Funnily enough, it's always with Disney affiliated things.

And every single other property/studio gets that 'round here from folks.  Funny that.

Disney ain't exactly unique here, either in number of "defenders" or their alleged passion.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Disney ain't exactly unique here, either in number of "defenders" or their alleged passion.

Do you really think MGM has 5% of the Disney defender on most platform ? The Weinstein Company LLC ? Paramount ? LionGates ? Sony Picture ?

Disney brand has certainly something close to unique, a bit like experiment show it for Coca-Cola/Channel or Ferrari I would not be surprised if we would see something in a brain scan of more people exposed to the logo / castle of Disney than for most property/studio.

27 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Trailer for this is finally out and surprise, surprise, it looks boring and pointless. All it does is dilute the effect of the "close" which was TS3. 

Did this story need to be told? (Pixar's old refrain) Did we need to see Woody chasing after yet another toy going through yet another existential crisis and ending up meeting yet another tyrannical villain toy? It's played out. This has even less of a leg to stand on than all of their previous sequels except Cars 2. 

Finally, and maybe people have forgotten, Pixar started out with a sterling record and reputation. They made great movies and had integrity. Over the years, they've buckled under Disney pressure and the old Brain Trust grew egotistical and close-minded. We all now know about Lasseter, but Andrew Stanton was another who got too big for his boots. Pixar, for all its inclusivity in its films, was a boys club and whilst that didn't prevent them from succeeding and telling great stories when they were young, ambitious and hungry, their lack of diversity and sputtering innovation has led them to this period of middling movies, mostly sequels, and stories that definitely would not be missed had they never made it on screen. The old mantra of "needing to be told" is dead. 

I hope with Lasseter gone and Docter leading, with the Spark Shorts, that a new era will be heralded in, but so far, there has been no proof. They really should get rid of Ed Catmull as well, the asshole who conspired to suppress not only his staff's, but the entire industry's wages. 

I’m still honestly shocked & baffled about how you know everything except to stop being a dull ”know-it-all”-snob and keeping your mouth shut. I don’t give a shit what you think of Pixar’s latest offerings as facts. 🙄

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

21 minutes ago, BK007 said:

HE MAD

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Do you really think MGM has 5% of the Disney defender on most platform ? The Weinstein Company LLC ? Paramount ? LionGates ? Sony Picture ?

Disney brand has certainly something close to unique, a bit like experiment show it for Coca-Cola/Channel or Ferrari I would not be surprised if we would see something in a brain scan of more people exposed to the logo / castle of Disney than for most property/studio.

Depends on how we define "defender".  I think any Pixar thread over the last few years, including this one, doesn't have nearly the amount of "defenders" one would think if there really were the amount of Disney Shills running around that are implied by some.

Disney might have more "defenders" on this board right now simply because it has a lot of popular flicks right now.  Didn't stop the pile on from happening in the AWiT thread and Nutcracker was rightly laughed at.  People haven't exactly given Aladdin a free ride, either, with the current board meme of it being in the Memorial Day Death Slot and all.

But to the more general point, even the indie flicks gets its share of defender fights. For a long time, the people who would stan/defend the Weinstein output would put the Fanboy War thread to shame.  Probably still do over at places like Awards Daily and Goldderby.

I suspect there's a reason why the Weinstein company doesn't have its share of stans anymore. :ph34r: 

Even so, WB and Disney may be drawing the lion share of attention of spats between "defenders" and "haters", but that's kinda because they are releasing a lot of big movies right now. 

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

even the indie flicks gets its share of defender fights.

Well yes specific movie, that a different talk than caring (consciously or not) which incorporated entity is releasing it.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Even so, WB and Disney may be drawing the lion share of attention of spats between "defenders" and "haters", but that's kinda because they are releasing a lot of big movies right now. 

And I imagine franchise ones being the major fuel here.

people haven't exactly given Aladdin a free ride, either, with the current board meme of it being in the Memorial Day Death Slot and all.

I really do not doubt that come with the most haters also, but WB/Disney certainly have a giant amount of "defender" relative to pretty much anything else, they are not like all other studios.

Edited by Barnack

14 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Oh yeah it will. Soda is also unnecessary and coka cola does pretty damn well. Toy Story is like that.

It all depends on OS numbers frankly. I’m not sure about any thing higher than $400M DOM for this.