CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Yeah, I was trying to be optimistic for this, but oof. That trailer just really didn't work for me. This seems like a hodgepodge of two different plots that they couldn't decide on, and moreover the rescue angle has been done to death in this franchise. I just don't think they can do anything new enough with it at this point. The trailer seemed really cloying for emotion too, and it just felt kind of unnatural and forced. Maybe it's because Pixar usually avoids that angle for their trailers? I don't know, this just looks like it's trying too hard. 

• Like 1

I can't believe how bland and utterly forgettable this looks. Toy Story 3 could not have ended on a more beautiful and perfect note, so this sequel, even if it is somehow good, will still inundate the legacy of the series. 

Decent trailer actually and usually Pixar trailer underwhelm. I like some of the themes they bring up with the Forky character but I hope the actual character isn't as grating as I found him to be in the trailer. 

EDIT: Oh and it was a nice touch having Tin Toy as part of the lost toys that Bo Peep has seemingly saved

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

I can't believe how bland and utterly forgettable this looks. Toy Story 3 could not have ended on a more beautiful and perfect note, so this sequel, even if it is somehow good, will still inundate the legacy of the series. 

I disagree, TS3 ended the Andy Trilogy, this is the start of a new one. I‘m sure people are gonna compare the movie to its predecessors, but I try to see TS4 as a fresh beginning in this beloved film series, separate from the others.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Shout out to them for using God Only Knows in the trailer though, probably one of the all time best 60's songs. Though this is the last movie I would have expected it to show up in the marketing lol. 

It's such an overused trailer song. Feels like a gimmick when you hear it.

Also think they need to do a better job of the trailers. I think Disney overestimates their ability to sell products people don't want.

The trailer makes it seem not even barely connected to the previous movies.

4 hours ago, Giesi said:

I disagree, TS3 ended the Andy Trilogy, this is the start of a new one. I‘m sure people are gonna compare the movie to its predecessors, but I try to see TS4 as a fresh beginning in this beloved film series, separate from the others.

And pulling Hobbit/Fantastic Beasts 1 (aka lower than the previous ones but still really sucessful) is ok for this too. 

There seems to be a lot of people thinking this must do 1b. 

Still not sold on this, though. Which is a shame. 

Edited by expensiveho

I'm kind of disappointed they seem to be just rehashing the identity crisis angle for their emotional hook (and I'm not all that convinced it works as well for a cheap grade school art project). I don't want to be one of those people who say it should've ended at 3, but I wish they would've come up with a better reason for this movie's existence than this.

• Like 1

"Why am I alive?"

"Bonnie, I'm comin'!"

This trailer feels like another instance in which strong themes are seeping from the edges, with some of the sequences looking like they could potentially add to the already long list of memorable moments from this animated franchise.

There is something remarkable about a franchise that follows the adventures of a group of toys that are so committed to each other and to the notion that life is about bringing joy to others. And they are committed to helping each other see this in themselves, even as different characters throughout their journeys have struggled and wanted to escape it all. What do we do as life continues to change around us, and people come in and out of our lives?

In terms of critical and commercial success, the Toy Story franchise is arguably the most impressive animated franchise ever. Ultimately, I'm curious to see if the 4th instalment is another worthy Toy Story film from Pixar.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2

Call me crazy (... crazy!!) but I think TS4 will make 500M dom easily, and ww the 1B seems easy imo. 

TS3 holds the biggest os gross amongst all Pixar movies with 652M (back in 2010). Not even I2 could make it (634M in 2018). And that's counting TS3 made an unknown bo in China. I'd say some 700M os, and 500M dom, 1.2B ww.

It's not gonna make more dom because on 5th weekend, TLK may kill all its late legs. I2 made 520M on day 28th, and after that, it managed some 90M extra. TS4 might not count on those extra. 

I don't see any way this film makes less than $400 million domestic and $1 billion WW. Even $400 million seems low domestic. However, I am not so sure about $500 million. I had predicted $450 million for a while and don't see any reason to deviate from that.