CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

If we’re allowed to say nonsensical bs, can we now finally agree Dora is doing $400M OW. 

This has to be the most half baked, uninformed pile of horse excrement I've ever seen on this site. Only someone who is completely lacking in basic box office knowledge would think of something so unrealistic and deranged. 

It's making double that, AT LEAST.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

Now I realize do as I say, not as I do isn't the best of ways to post.

Nevertheless its really done all the time.

Nobody insists replies do follow a certain form or structure all of the time after all.

Nonetheless I've reflected, determined even, that I should follow my own advice hidden somewhat in this post.

Alright Dr Seuss 

20 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

While I certainly don't think Dory and I2 sucked, I agree they were underwhelming. I2 fooled me the first time by being a lot of fun into not realizing how much of a blatant rehash of the first it is. They could have gone so many interesting directions with it, and instead they decided to remake the first movie. Their execution was on point, but it's still a rehash when the dust settles. Which of course is the issue with Dory as well, though that one was always an unnecessary sequel so it made more sense we got a rehash. 

If most rehashes were as good as Dory and especially I2, I'd be more okay with them. I agree that both were structurally identical to the first movies, but at the same time, they also felt like natural progressions of the characters and the story (I2 more so... Dory was a little forced in some areas, but extremely compelling in others). I wouldn't argue either is great, and yes, I2 could've been something else better, but as they were, they worked very well imo.

15 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I know it's not likely but I still hope Pete Sohn gets another shot. TGD certainly had one of Pixar's more interesting art designs even if the consensus is it wasn't all the good kind. I'd like to see what he'd do with his own vision.

I don't think it's entirely comparable to the TS4 situation. This movie's delays were all far more in advance, before it had gotten deep into production, while TGD was almost completely torn down and redone less than a year before its initially scheduled release.

Pinkava is long gone from Pixar. He was the original director of Ratatouille before he got the boot. You might use that movie as an indictment on TGD, though I'm also not sure it's entirely fair to compare Sohn to Brad Bird (personal opinions on respective movies excepted).

Yes, you can't predict future success through shorts, or any movies in general for that matter. But if I see something I like I definitely want to see the creator get more opportunities to make stuff, however long it is.

In all honesty, I agree with you regarding Sohn. I do want him to get a second chance with something that's entirely his. Just like I was happy that they gave Dan Scanlon an entirely original film after he managed to do an okay job out of a concept designed entirely to be a cash cow that would be hard to be much of a good movie (Monsters University). And I agree that TGD had some cool art design.

That being said, TGD also had some of the most off-putting art design I've ever seen in an animated film as well. The juxtaposition between cartoony, Land Before Time/Ice Age'ified dinosaurs and extremely photorealistic environments did not work AT ALL and felt even more awkward than any of the Cars movies. The dinosaurs, while texturized really well, were not design to mold with the backgrounds (a problem that did not hurt other recent Pixar movies with photorealistic animation and cartoony characters, like Dory or Cars 3), and that choice was really misguided, especially considering that nature itself happened to be the antagonist of TGD. Plus, the plot and characters were really bland, save for the Arlo and Spot relationship. And if some of those problems stemmed from the production issues created by Peterson's original version going ary, the film was, as you mentioned, revised from the ground up entirely, so Sohn made the movie in his own way at the end of the day. Restructured the story + characters and replaced almost the entire voice cast. Not his concept, but his movie.

I wasn't aware that Ratatouille too went through that kind of issues, and as far as I'm concerned, it only makes TGD less excusable. Brad Bird was obviously more experienced and renouned than Sohn even before Ratatouille, sure, but we still have a director who took someone else's concept, revised it in his desired way and came up with a tremendous result. (Shame that Pinkava wasn't confident enough to direct Ratatouille himself, though, but Ratatouille was great anyway, so I'm not too bummed about it.) Same thing with, apparently, Toy Story 4. And yeah, neither movie was in as deep production, but as I said, Sohn found time to restructure the film from nearly the ground up. So I think TGD was just a nightmare. But Sohn deserves another shot, indeed.

12 hours ago, Geo1500 said:

The hype build-up online is not good currently for TS4 no storm is building up for it and this will have to get pushed by families but if you give these families many options they will go with different choices. Toy story success has come from no competition but this time it will be different as the competition is top level all around

.....Toy Story 3 came out in-between Shrek 4 and Despicable Me, both movies that made nearly as much individually as Pokémon and SLOP 2 combined. TS4's biggest competition is Spider-Man, which is not even a family animation anyway and it will burn so much demand because of its 6-day opening that it will hardly hurt TS4, and absolutely nothing else.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

29 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Wonder how much Disney paid RT to not post these negative reviews from Smith and Randolph for as long as they can 😜 so they can say its still at 100%

Randolph's was posted days ago.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Noooooo, alright now the next step begins. How high can it stay?

Hoping for 97.5% and up. We'll see. Something tells me we'll get more than one today :(

FWIW the negative reviewer's consensus doesn't sound completely terrible: "Despite the film's quick pace and breezy good nature, the overall effect is mediocre, and Toy Story 4 is easily the weakest effort in the series so far."

Edited by superduperm

1 minute ago, superduperm said:

Hoping for 97.5% and up. We'll see. Something tells me we'll get more than one today :(

FWIW the negative reviewer's consensus doesn't sound completely terrible: "Despite the film's quick pace and breezy good nature, the overall effect is mediocre, and Toy Story 4 is easily the weakest effort in the series so far."

should be 98% ...