CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

At the TS marathon, done with the first two. Wow, TS2 really is a significant step up from the first in every single way. For as good as the first is and obviously crazy important as a landmark in the medium, it definitely feels weak compared to 2 and 3. 

The first also definitely shows its age quite a bit, whereas 2 doesn’t feel dated whatsoever.

In TS2 I loved the whole "I am not a toy I am a valuable collectable " storyline.

And I died laughing at the "Jurassiac Park" visual joke. I think it's the best of the Toy Story movies.

TS1 knocked me out of my seat at the time, but on a review it is not quite as strong as the last two films. It's not so much it did anything wrong, but that the last tow films simply added a lot of depth to the Toy Story world.

Wiered to remember that  Josh Whedon was a writer on Toy Story, and in fact it was the huge success of Toy Story, and the praise for the script, that gave him enough muscle to have a second chance at Buffy The Vampire Slayer, but this time with Whedon in control. The rest is history.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

At the TS marathon, done with the first two. Wow, TS2 really is a significant step up from the first in every single way. For as good as the first is and obviously crazy important as a landmark in the medium, it definitely feels weak compared to 2 and 3. 

The first also definitely shows its age quite a bit, whereas 2 doesn’t feel dated whatsoever.

Did you watch the 4K remastered versions? Because the first looks great in that imo.

4 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

Did you watch the 4K remastered versions? Because the first looks great in that imo.

It’s not just the visuals, it’s the way the story is told as well. It’s told in a way that feels very dated from modern animation. A bit more of a product of its time then say something like TLK, Aladdin, or BatB from the same time period, where the storytelling feels done in a more timeless manner. The characters for example are also surprisingly on the hollow side. The groundwork is laid for them, but the sequels is where they were really fleshed out (except Buzz in 3 who is just comic relief)  and feel like the beloved characters we know from the franchise. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

It’s not just the visuals, it’s the way the story is told as well. It’s told in a way that feels very dated from modern animation. A bit more of a product of its time then say something like TLK, Aladdin, or BatB from the same time period, where the storytelling feels done in a more timeless manner. The characters for example are also surprisingly on the hollow side. The groundwork is laid for them, but the sequels is where they were really fleshed out (except Buzz in 3 who is just comic relief)  and feel like the beloved characters we know from the franchise. 

Let us know how Toy Story 4 is, WITHOUT telling us very much, obviously ;)

• Like 1

Got to see this at a preview screening over here in Aus.

This might not mean much considering the Toy story films have always been my favourites, but to me this is a beautiful extension to a franchise that has already given so much. Obviously you can nitpick anything but to me all 4 are perfect. Made with so much care and love and always with such important thinks to say.

I was crying within 3 minutes. And even trying to hold back I was a mess at the end.

I think this movie might get judged a little too critically after what seemed like the perfect closure in the 3rd. But once the dust settles I think any fan of the series will be thrilled this instalment exists. Can’t wait to see it again tonight.

• Like 1

I have it on good authority this movie sucks so the summer curse strikes again 😔

hopefully i I can get some moderate enjoyment out of it on Saturday but I don’t want Pixar to die. What’s the goddamn point of movies anymore

• Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 2

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I hate to be a Disney shill but I really enjoyed this. Had a problem but it’s definitely the best Pixar sequel since Toy Story 3.

"Had a problem" sounds a bit discouraging but better than Finding Dory/Incredibles 2 sounds very good!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, superduperm said:

"Had a problem" sounds a bit discouraging but better than Finding Dory/Incredibles 2 sounds very good!

The problem which is glaring is what is making this hard for me to consider this in the top 10 for Pixar.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1