CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

I’m not sure where I stand on it.

On one hand, it has beautiful cinematography, and impeccably crafted. You can’t help but appreciate the love that is poured into all of the little details.

But on the other hand, the film is thematically unfocused, and somehow diminishes the series for me.  It sets up quite a few interesting ideas, but does nothing with them.  All of the character beats managed to feel rushed, even though the film’s plot feels rather slow.

It’d be like if you went and saw a Symphony, then when the whole thing finished they tacked on a condensed 2 minute reprise of everything that was played.  It’s gorgeously played, but completely unnecessary and the Symphony as a whole would have been better without it.

Not sure if I loved it or hated it, but mixed doesn’t feel like the right word.

2 hours ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I’m not sure where I stand on it.

On one hand, it has beautiful cinematography, and impeccably crafted. You can’t help but appreciate the love that is poured into all of the little details.

But on the other hand, the film is thematically unfocused, and somehow diminishes the series for me.  It sets up quite a few interesting ideas, but does nothing with them.  All of the character beats managed to feel rushed, even though the film’s plot feels rather slow.

It’d be like if you went and saw a Symphony, then when the whole thing finished they tacked on a condensed 2 minute reprise of everything that was played.  It’s gorgeously played, but completely unnecessary and the Symphony as a whole would have been better without it.

I know we all have our own opinions, but what did you think of Monsters U, Dory and Incredibles 2? The latter 2 get so much undeserved praise that honestly anyone who defends those can't really make a claim as to what is necessary. 

I'm a Pixar fan but none of those 3 should have existed in the form they did. Incredibles 2 was the most disappointing completely ignoring everything that made the first one revolutionary. 

7 hours ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

How about ambivalent?  It kind of means the same thing, but it has three more syllables, so it's four times better!  It's just like how four movies are better than three--more, more, more!  Has Toy Story 5 been announced yet?  Can't have too many endings, you know. ;)

Didn’t make me cry as much as TS3. But my eyes did water. Pixar has this shit down to a science now. They snagged me 24 years ago and they have not lost me yet, which is why I’ve stood by them even when they’ve not been at their best.

That said, we still dodged a bullet with this one. We got really lucky, but please don’t spin the chamber again, Pixar.

I am so glad my prediction of another wave of originals is coming true, because new and fresh ideas with every movie is what made me fall in love with them in the first place. I don’t hate sequels, but I want that thrill of “What are they going to do next?” again.

Also, I got a real kick out of

the music from the end of

The Shining. They did that on purpose, I’m sure of it.

Edited by TServo2049

47 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Didn’t make me cry as much as TS3. But my eyes did water. Pixar has this shit down to a science now. They snagged me 24 years ago and they have not lost me yet, which is why I’ve stood by them even when they’ve not been at their best.

That said, we still dodged a bullet with this one. We got really lucky, but please don’t spin the chamber again, Pixar.

That is the purest form of Stockholm syndrome the Shay has witnessed - and he's seen a lot. Google it. They have got you by the throat - and can do whatever their impure minds need to - and you LOVE them for it! Choke me harder, daddy! (What?)

44 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I still. . . I still don't see why it needed to be made after Toy Story 3 ended perfectly and the ending is definitely overhyped. 

Greed, girl. Pure, crystallized GREED. Pixar are the best at that, they specialize in greed.

From: "We will NEVER make a sequel, we'll only make original stories - because we believe in human creative values and, frankly, because we are THAT good, better than anyone else!"

To: "Shut the f*ck up nerd and pay me for the THIRTEENTH rotten sequel of the same old musty couple of movies we've done back in the 90ies!!"

That is UNDOUBTEDLY the worse moral collapse in modern Hollywood. And some shady dudes here "wonder why the Shay hates Pixar", lol...

Edited by shayhiri
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

That is the purest form of Stockholm syndrome the Shay has witnessed - and he's seen a lot. Google it. They have got you by the throat - and can do whatever their impure minds need to - and you LOVE them for it! Choke me harder, daddy! (What?)

Greed, girl. Pure, crystallized GREED. Pixar are the best at that, they specialize in greed.

From: "We will NEVER make a sequel, we'll only make original stories - because we believe in human creative values and, frankly, because we are THAT good, better than anyone else!"

To: "Shut the f*ck up nerd and pay me for the THIRTEENTH rotten sequel of the same old musty couple of movies we've done back in the 90ies!!"

That is UNDOUBTEDLY the worse moral collapse in modern Hollywood. And some shady dudes here "wonder why the Shay hates Pixar", lol...

...I'm a girl?!?

. . .

Am I a pretty girl?

3 hours ago, shayhiri said:

I don't like ANY of their sequels. This is not Shrek 2.

I'll see this next week when it opens here.

The Shay would always say YES. :)

Shrek 2 is a wonderful movie that should have lasted 2 hours instead of 1:30

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, shayhiri said:

I don't like ANY of their sequels. This is not Shrek 2.

I'll see this next week when it opens here.

The Shay would always say YES. :)

Shrek 2 is probably one of my favorite sequels of all time, in terms of movies that weren't originally conceived as part of a series.

Edited by FrozenUnicorn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1