CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Maybe the lower turnout is because this sequel just feels like playing Russian roulette, and that feeling gets passed on to the viewers. They still knocked it out of the park, but it's like the team asking for a rematch after winning the championship.
Would've loved another great new Pixar story instead.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

Maybe the lower turnout is because this sequel just feels like playing Russian roulette, and that feeling gets passed on to the viewers. They still knocked it out of the park, but it's like the team asking for a rematch after winning the championship.
Would've loved another great new Pixar story instead.

Next year we will get 2 new original movies from Pixar and „Soul“ sounds intriguing from the story synopsis alone

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

TS4 is another victim of franchise fatigue, failing to reach even the lowest of expectations. It is a big underperformer.

It's gonna post a higher opening than Toy Story 3 and it's a victim of franchise fatigue? Dude...

• Like 2

It's a good movie, but everything about it is more subdued than the previous ones. i can see why people would be indifferent to it.

Hopefully Pixar sticks to their originals-only promise for awhile. I want to really be intrigued by their ideas again.

• Like 3

Unpopular opinion but TS4 > TS3

This movie is about purpose, identity and lifelong dreams and what happens when you "lose" those, much more powerful themes for me but I get that the friendship/nostalgia/longing for childhood again themes of TS3 is more digestible for a wider audience

This movie is also about empathy, very touching and rare for a blockbuster

One of the scenes that stood out for me for some reason was Woody and Bo Peep finding each other again after 9 years, that was so memorable

Not to mention the animation was godly

What a great way to wrap up this franchise and this decade for Pixar!

4 > 3 > 2 > 1

What a saga!

Other unpopular opinions:

I2 > The Incredibles

Finding Dory > Finding Nemo

Add Inside Out and Coco to these and that is why the 2010s might be my favorite decade for Pixar

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

This is just one really big epilogue.

Not really a bad thing, I still liked it a lot. More so than Monster U or Finding Dory, but... IDK.

Yeah, that’s what it felt like to me, too. To expand upon my previous comments: Pixar was able to make a silk purse out of the sow’s ear of a fourth Toy Story movie following the natural conclusion of the third, but matter how good the result, it still feels at least somewhat like one of those reunion movies they make some years after a TV series has concluded. I’m just glad it wasn’t the train wreck it could have been.

Edited by TServo2049

1 hour ago, Royce said:

Unpopular opinion but TS4 > TS3

This movie is about purpose, identity and lifelong dreams and what happens when you "lose" those, much more powerful themes for me but I get that the friendship/nostalgia/longing for childhood again themes of TS3 is more digestible for a wider audience

This movie is also about empathy, very touching and rare for a blockbuster

One of the scenes that stood out for me for some reason was Woody and Bo Peep finding each other again after 9 years, that was so memorable

Not to mention the animation was godly

What a great way to wrap up this franchise and this decade for Pixar!

4 > 3 > 2 > 1

What a saga!

Other unpopular opinions:

I2 > The Incredibles

Finding Dory > Finding Nemo

Add Inside Out and Coco to these and that is why the 2010s might be my favorite decade for Pixar

I liked TS4 but I just don't know how anyone could say it's better than TS3. The final 20 minutes of TS3 are Pixar's best work and nothing will ever top them IMHO.

I do think collectively as a whole, TS4 goes head-to-head with TS3 just because there's some very good parts in the middle, while the middle 45ish minutes of TS3 just feels like filler, but the ending of TS3 just can't be topped. It was too perfect.

Edited by superduperm

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

It's a good movie, but everything about it is more subdued than the previous ones. i can see why people would be indifferent to it.

Hopefully Pixar sticks to their originals-only promise for awhile. I want to really be intrigued by their ideas again.

Have you heard about that movie coming out a year from now called Soul? Seems like Pixar's going the more philosophical route like with Inside Out and I couldn't be happier for it!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

This movie didn’t feel like an ending. Toy Story 5 is mandatory. They need to bring back all the characters (Andy, Sid, Prospector, Lotso, Barbie, Ken, Al) and give the supporting cast their due. Maybe also have toys be revealed to be alive to humans 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Regarding TS5:

Scrolling through the tumblr tags on Opening Day, I laughed hardest at: "I can't believe I'm about to write fix fic about toys."

So, yeah.  TS5 wouldn't be unwelcome.