CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019

13 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

So, that movie fails completely - as predicted bu the Shay club Toy Story 4 UNDER Toy Story 3: something deemed impossible till Friday.

Uhhm, TS4 opened higher than TS3.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

It's pretty obvious why the opening underperformed. The last sequel was 9 years ago...today, the target audience is not so much interested in action figures, as they are cellphones, gadgets, wireless headphones and game consoles.

Call of Duty, blowing someone to pieces. Movie is like a relic from the past. 

I don't think that's it at all. There was a gap that was even longer between TS2 and 3, and 3 made so much more. The reason for that is because TS3 was an addition that people could reasonably see with TS2, and TS3 had a well-put-together story with tons of callbacks, and an ending that had a sense of finality, whereas TS2 ended with a sense of "that's great, but there could conceivably be more down the line".

TS3 felt like such a perfect ending that to many TS4 just seems like a tacked-on cash-grab of an idea, so that's why not as many are going to see it.

(FYI I haven't seen it yet so I can't say for myself if I think it's good or not.)

Edited by FrozenUnicorn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

I don't think that's it at all. There was a gap that was even longer between TS2 and 3, and 3 made so much more. The reason for that is because TS3 was an addition that people could reasonably see with TS2, and TS3 had a well-put-together story with tons of callbacks, and an ending that had a sense of finality, whereas TS2 ended with a sense of "that's great, but there could conceivably be more down the line".

TS3 felt like such a perfect ending that to many TS4 just seems like a tacked-on cash-grab of an idea, so that's why not as many are going to see it.

We don't know that yet. I don't know if there are already figures for tickets sold but TS3 was heavily inflated by the 3D craze 9 years ago. I've read a post here that 60% of TS3 OW was from 3D ticket sales.

9 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I’m so confused.  Would people rather not enjoy the 4 movies they got and multiple other shorts and let the franchise go to rest so that Pixar can make original stories?  This movie has a closed ending too.  Not everything needs a sequel.

why not? I mean if they were churning out sequels every two years or so then sure but I'd love to always reunite with these characters again. Also, I feel Toy Story 4 doesn't really feel like a definitive ending

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Also, I feel Toy Story 4 doesn't really feel like a definitive ending

In regards to the central character relationships, I don't know how more definitive you can get.

IMO, there's no reason to think the legs won't be in the range of Toy Story 3. I think WOM will be fantastic as word spreads that this film does justify it's existence.

42 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The amount of stupidity in this thread is physically revolting. I might throw up on my desk at work.

And yet you won't - because you need that job.

Surfing for fun on your workplace is the most you can get away with.

37 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

And yet you won't - because you need that job.

Surfing for fun on your workplace is the most you can get away with.

Whatever you say, Mr. "It is PHYSICALLY impossible to make 300m or more on OW"

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The amount of stupidity in this thread is physically revolting. I might throw up on my desk at work.

It's like we're seeing a parody.   But instead of Airplane it's Superhero Movie

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Is 3D a good format for this movie?

3D is never a good format.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cannastop said:

3D is never a good format.

heard it was good for CG animations

Posted (edited)

I think it depends on what it is.   I'm sure if they ever filmed the Planet Earth series in 3D it would be pretty stunning.

And yes I know I could go outside

Edited by DAR

I think OW has shown great trends. Great Saturday and Sunday and looking at Pulse hour numbers, its going to have a HUGE Monday as well. I think target is TS3 domestic and that looks probable to me.

Posted (edited)

I don’t even enjoy CGI animation in 3D, TBH. Even with Pixar movies, I would still constantly be closing one eye because my brain processes 3D like those tilt-focus photos - everything that’s in focus or supposed to be “closest” to the viewer looks like it’s a miniature placed right in front of my face.

For example, there’s a shot in Brave where Merida is standing on a tall rock or cliff or something, the “camera” is meant to be a “helicopter” shot where she’s far away but in clear focus, but my brain processed it as if it were an action figure on a model landscape three feet away.

Stuff like that is why I swore off watching 3D years ago. My eyes and brain can gauge the intended “depth” from a 2D image, but I look at 3D and everything goes out of whack. Maybe it’s because my vision and depth perception are actually too good for the illusion to work? (I’ve scored 20/10 on at least one eye exam, and on road trips I’m usually the one who keeps a lookout for signs because I can read them before anyone else.)

Edited by TServo2049

Maybe people here should stop throwing the words "idiots" and "stupid" so loosely, just because these so-called "idiots" disagree with what you think or because, maybe, they were really hyped for this and so made predictions that look ridiculous now. For real, some of you need to get off your high horses.

• Like 3

3D is really all about individual execution, and personally the Pixar 3D releases have never done it for me.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, UserHN said:

Uhhm, TS4 opened higher than TS3.

Yeah, no, maybe if it did open 10 tears ago - but it didn't, so it failed spectacularly to match any ADJUSTED numbers.

And it's only getting uglier from here, because this runt of a movie can not ever dream of the mutated legs of the then phenomenal TS3 run. No one ever wanted TS4. So yeah, it is falling WELL behind, even UNadjusted. The Shay club forsaw this.

Edited by shayhiri

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Yeah, no, maybe if it did open 10 tears ago - but it didn't, so it failed spectacularly to match any ADJUSTED numbers.

And it's only getting uglier from here, because this runt of a movie can not ever dream of the spectacular legs of the phenomenal TS3 run. No one ever wanted TS4. So yeah, it is falling behind, even UNadjusted.

Adjusted number is basically useless in comparing TS3 and TS4 just because tickets for TS3 were expensive af. TS3 was heavily inflated by 3D tickets 9 years ago. Don't know the exact figure but someone here posted that 60% of TS3 OW is basically 3D ticket sales. Some are even speculating that number of tickets sold for TS4 will be more than that of TS3.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

And it's only getting uglier from here, because this runt of a movie can not ever dream of the spectacular legs of the phenomenal TS3 run. No one ever wanted TS4. So yeah, it is falling WELL behind, even UNadjusted. The Shay club forsaw this.

TS3 Adjusted opening: 126m

TS4 Opening: 120m.

Difference of 6m, or roughly 5%. That's a spectacular failure?

Quit getting high off your own farts, Mr. IW > Endgame BO.

• Haha 1