CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

RT critic.

--

Not an RT Critic, as far as I know, but throwing it in anyway.

EDITED:::

Speaking of RT, from the editor-in-chief of RT itself:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Not posting Katie Walsh's Tweet, as it might be on the slight spoilerish side, but it looks to be approving.

Also now trying to cut down a bit on the blue checkmarks I do post.  Last one was a bit iffy, but I decided I needed a Rule of Three, so I threw it in.

EDITED:

Another RT critic chimes in:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

They screened it a Cinemara here which is a great 600 seat theater (couldn't go though! I was kind of gutted lol), so they're definitely doing a lot of high profile showings on the West Coast.

28 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

There was also a showing in Philadelphia, but it was exclusive to D23 members. One of the few times being a D23 member is actually beneficial to people not in Cali or Florida

Pretty good chance @BoxOfficeZ has seen it by this point or will by the end of tonight, I reckon.

Any comment, BOZ?

(speaking of comment, I see ViewerAnon is back on thread)

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

@Porthos Have you now seen a negative or mixed-ish review?

If I had, I would have immediately posted it for fairness.

I do think the comment about some critics thinking it is "overstuffed" is something to think about.  Saw a stray comment from someone who approved of it who said most people would have it 4th out of 4 in their opinion.

I'm sure they'll be out there though, given the tenor of some reactions (good film if unnecessary, for instance).

Just haven't run into them.  Yet. 

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

If I had, I would have immediately posted it for fairness.

I do think the comment about some critics thinking it is "overstuffed" is something to think about.  Saw a stray comment from someone who approved of it who said most people would have it 4th out of 4 in their opinion.

I'm sure they'll be out there though, given the tenor of some reactions (good film if unnecessary, for instance).

Just haven't run into them.  Yet. 

I also think those who thought it "unnecessary" will give it a 'Fresh' in RT but with mediocre rating, which will make the average rating go down.

I also want to add, I'm only surfing verified Twitter accounts, as I don't trust unverified Twitter users not to spoil things.  Not that I'm THAT concerned about spoilers this time around.  

So there might be some negative/mixed in the unverified pool.  But I ain't surfing it to find out. ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

Close up shop boys and girls, we're done here.

1 minute ago, ViewerAnon said:

I liked this a lot but also think it’s the weakest TOY STORY sequel. It never really justifies “breaking open” TS3’s ending.

But still very funny and very sweet and a really good movie.

An interesting back-to-back here.

If I AM seeing a divergence of opinion it's on the necessary/unnecessary axis as opposed to a good/bad axis.  

If "good, if unnecessary" is the biggest complaint I'm thinking this is landing at an RT of 95 +/-.  Maybe 97 +/-.

• Thanks 1

Alright, I gots seat counts to do/set up.  If someone wants to take over, fine (twitter search "filter:verified toy story" and twitter search "filter:verified toystory4").  Otherwise I'll do another scan in about an hour/90 minutes.

EDIT::::

One last one as I head out:

Again not good/bad axis but necessary/unnecessary axis.  Gonna be a common theme, I think.

Edited by Porthos

I wasn't hearing much about Toy Story 3 being unnecessary. I expect a very high RT but lower MetaCritic score. "Unnecessary" is a criticism I see thrown by people who see a film as good/great (3 stars+) but not a masterpiece, or a film that feels overly familiar.

We'll find out soon enough. The trailers felt "mawkish" as someone else mentioned but the reactions look sincere. I'm guessing 82 on MC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Seng Wah said:

TS1: 100% RT

TS2: 100% RT

TS3: 99% RT

Can TS4 maintain the record trend on RT?

*got time for a drive by comment*

Way too many RT approved critics nowadays for blockbusters like this.  I think the ceiling is probably 97/98.  It's the x/10 where the real battle will be, IMO. 

• Like 1