CJohn

Underworld: Blood Wars | Jan 6, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 7

This is a solid franchise. Hopefully this is the conclusion. It is about time.

Here is the franchise's adjusted domestic and opening numbers. 

Underworld: Evolution- $82,394,1003,207 | $35,508,9003,207

Underworld- $74,621,2002,928 | $31,241,7002,915

Underworld Awakening- $68,927,2003,078 | $27,671,2003,078

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans- $53,170,0002,942 | $24,178,9002,942 

I am feeling $26M/63M for this film. 

While I gotta say I'm not a fan of that closing line in the synopsis either let's recall we are dealing with the supernatural....anything goes just about. 

Addressing Spoiler coded synopsis:

Spoiler

Real world possible angle, Kate agreed to do this IF Selene was killed off? Now, I'd prefer that Selene, Michael & Eve could walk into the dusk as one happy family but where is the drama in that, right? Also, recast the right actresses as Eve and the Underworld saga could still continue. Especially if Michael is still a story point worth pursing. You know, anger and guilt that he wasn't there to perhaps save Selene. Some dramatic: "Your selfishness is what got Mom killed!! If only you'd been there!!!", that schtick. 

On 8/30/2016 at 2:05 PM, Bishop54 said:

Here is the official synopsis from Sony: What it says at the end doesn't make me one bit happy.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Ultimate sacrifice.  Could mean she loses her husband and daughter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Here is the official synopsis from Sony: What it says at the end doesn't make me one bit happy.

Hide contents

The next installment in the blockbuster franchise, UNDERWORLD: BLOOD WARS follows Vampire death dealer, Selene (Kate Beckinsale) as she fends off brutal attacks from both the Lycan clan and the Vampire faction that betrayed her. With her only allies, David (Theo James) and his father Thomas (Charles Dance), she must stop the eternal war between Lycans and Vampires, even if it means she has to make the ultimate sacrifice

Underworld: Resurrection - Coming to a movie theater near you in Winter of 2022! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, all good/enjoyable things must come to an end.

Unless they actually do end up giving the series to Theo James like they almost did with this one originally. Since the Divergent franchise died, he has nothing else better to do right :P 

10 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Well, all good/enjoyable things must come to an end.

Unless they actually do end up giving the series to Theo James like they almost did with this one originally. Since the Divergent franchise died, he has nothing else better to do right :P 

Theo didn't even do this one if Kate wasn't going to be involved which was initially the case.

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

What's the most: "WTF? I can't believe that it became a franchise, and that it still alive after a decade!!!!!" franchise, this or Resident Evil? 

Both delivering final installments with original cast members in January to it seems.

Plenty of things become a franchise that have a niche audience but can be made cause of low overhead. 

• Like 2

On August 31, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Mockingjay Raphael said:

What's the most: "WTF? I can't believe that it became a franchise, and that it still alive after a decade!!!!!" franchise, this or Resident Evil? 

Neither. They keep the budgets low. No surprise they make money. Resident Evil 5's over 200m overseas performance was very surprising though 

11 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

So UW and RE end next year in January.. reboots? The female leads were the main attraction of these movies so unless they find someone equally worthy of replacing them I don't see the reboots spawning a franchise..

The key difference here is that Resident Evil is an adaptation, while Underworld is the original.

Milla might be the main attraction now that the films have gone completely off the story, but the point of the first two films and any future reboot was and will be presenting a film version of the games. That's how they find their audience.

With Underworld, it's not so easy.

3 hours ago, The47th said:

The key difference here is that Resident Evil is an adaptation, while Underworld is the original.

Milla might be the main attraction now that the films have gone completely off the story, but the point of the first two films and any future reboot was and will be presenting a film version of the games. That's how they find their audience.

Yes. I was too lazy to explain all that. Still they have to replace her with someone equally exciting because only zombies and action won't cut it. 

I would have liked these to be much closer to the video games, but the resident evil game franchise has evolved so much and moved beyond Racoon city. Re4 and beyond are great games but don't feel like RE game. And the next one is a massive departure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The47th said:

Does the Resident Evil brand still relevant enough to build a whole new franchise based in the games alone? From what I read, the last game did horrible (?) at sales. 

16 hours ago, John Marston said:

Neither. They keep the budgets low. No surprise they make money. Resident Evil 5's over 200m overseas performance was very surprising though 

I'm not talking about the reason why they still making these movies, I'm saying that it's truly incredible how they managed to keep the audience for almost one decade, when you look at the gross of these movies DOM, you can see that they basically stayed flat from last decade to this decade, and all this with such a limited plot, those two franchises may be bad for some persons, but they managed an admirable consistence. 

6 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Does the Resident Evil brand still relevant enough to build a whole new franchise based in the games alone? From what I read, the last game did horrible (?) at sales. 

Pretty much, it's next installment game comes out in January, has a new animated feature next year as well. It also released two side games since the last installment. A reboot should still have a base, especially from fans who were annoyed at how not like the games the movies were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I'm not talking about the reason why they still making these movies, I'm saying that it's truly incredible how they managed to keep the audience for almost one decade, when you look at the gross of these movies DOM, you can see that they basically stayed flat from last decade to this decade, and all this with such a limited plot, those two franchises may be bad for some persons, but they managed an admirable consistence. 

They are cheap trashy fun (Underworld is better than RE) that could have been so much more considering the potential shown in the first film of both franchises.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1