baumer

Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014)

139 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Can I put a BIG spoiler in this thread? They fucking KILL Nick Fury in the first act!!!

Just quietly. Yes, you can. Everybody (Backstreet's Back) in the closing credits was awesome.
  • Like 1

First of all, the best phase 2 movie by far.

(spoilers below obv)

I knew this was going to be good when I saw that the Russo bros are directing. Anyone who saw 'A Fistful of Paintballs' episode of Community knew they had it in them and it shows because the action in this movie is absolutely fantastic. Great choreography and use of practical effects all round. However, the biggest asset of the film is how it feels so grounded and so small at times amid the insane destruction. The character of Captain America is one of the most fascinating characters I have ever seen on the big screen and it is surprising that, after all this time, I am still shocked and amazed by the things he does. The Winter Soldier brings this out very nicely and I can't wait to see more of their interaction in the future as the final 'battle' between them was so perfect and emotional that I almost cried. Pity there wasn't more of him (the movie is called The Winter Soldier, one would expect him to be in it a bit more)

The cast is so spot on that I shouldn't even have to mention them. I will, however, single out Robert Redford as a newcomer who owns every scene he is in. He literally just has to stand there to look like a boss and it is showcased best in his interactions with the World Government where it is just obvious how inferior they are to him. Too bad he died because I would have loved to see more of the character. Evans, ScarJo, Sam Jackson and Stan also give great performances.

Regarding the plot and the pacing, everything is pretty much perfect in the first 2/3 of the movie, we get a good setup, two great action sequences and some unexpected moments. I really liked how they turned the tables on SHIELD/HYDRA front and how they practically 'rebooted' the organisation. However, in the final act we get a predictable, over-elaborate and too convoluted action sequence (those seem standard nowadays). Maybe it gets better on the second viewing, but it felt somewhat tiring and some of the plot points were hard to follow (like what exactly did Cap have to do on the carrier and why). Also, the Falcon/Grillo fight was kinda shoehorned in there. It was saved in the end by The Winter Soldier himself, it was really interesting seeing him losing it and later saving Cap. I can't wait to see what will they do with him next.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the movie and couldn't find many flaws (maybe even none when I see it again) 9/10

#4 in the MCU behind TA, IM and CA:TFA.

• Like 3

They had to break HYDRA's control of the carriers by replacing a chip in each carrier. Hill was then able to have the carriers target each other rather then target HYDRA's list. Did you see the final after credit scene. The Winter Soldier is finding out who he is.

• Like 2

I thought it was a very solid addition to the Marvel franchise, much more complete and (slightly) more realistic than the first one. The action sequences with Cap are just cooler than say the Hulk or Iron Man because even though he's genetically enhanced he's not vastly overpowered and for the most part facing humans. The Winter Soldier was badass as well with a few great scene-stealing moments. I wish they had left director Fury as being killed off though. I know it's too much to ask for a truely major character death like Rogers or even Black Widow but I want to feel a least a little concerned for their safety when I watch a Marvel movie. Maybe I've just been watching too much Game of Thrones but it's much more exciting to me when you know that there's the possibility someone pretty important could die.

Anyway, I would definitely rank this as the best so far in Marvel's Phase 2 and it got me super pumped for the Avengers to reassemble ! Grade: B

• Like 1

9.5/10

One question though.....where was Hawkeye?

Feige said they decided to leave him out because there were too many characters, and that they'll explain what he's been up to in Age of Ultron

• Like 4

Feige said they decided to leave him out because there were too many characters, and that they'll explain what he's been up to in Age of Ultron

It's funny because he probably could have had Falcon's role and not that much would had to have been changed.

Having said that, I can easily buy into him being on some reconnaissance mission to get Quiksilver and Scarlet Witch

They had to break HYDRA's control of the carriers by replacing a chip in each carrier. Hill was then able to have the carriers target each other rather then target HYDRA's list. Did you see the final after credit scene. The Winter Soldier is finding out who he is.

Yeah, I guess I was tired so I kinda lost track for a moment (it happens to me a lot lately in the theater, for example Thor 2, Iron Man 3, Man of Steel. I guess I just like to watch it at home). They didn't execute it that well though...The post credit scene really got me excited for The Winter Soldier, Stan played it perfectly.
  • Like 1

good movie

esp all the fight scenes & one on one combat

Not without humour as I feared it would be 

great flashbacks

A scene with Peggy is a real terjerker 

great chem between CP & BW (generally the whole cast's chemstry shines )

I need Falcon in AoU!!!

Robert was a menacing & shady as I wanted.

all the nods to Marvel universe 

score was great especially the metallic notes in TWS moments

something that i didnt like

A bit too long imo

Natasha's hair

a bit predictable

too little Sharon 

not much spent on TWS backstory

shaky cam in some places

too much pursing lips from Scarlett

still I'm biased & Cap will never be as appeaing to me as Iron man/Tony, Thor/Loki & Hulk/Bruce so its great that this film brough him a little closer to my heart b/c he was a human being here (same in his 1st solo film actually) not a goody two shoes hero 

Solo films def benefited him as a character imo because in TA he was overshadowed by other characters who I fancy more

Here he's front and center & has a great team of actually relatable characters

But still with all the TA related mentions I couldnt help but wanted to see other Avengers  ;)

well it happens with every other solo Marvel movie for me so AoU please come to me!  B)

Edited by Tauriel
  • Like 2