baumer

Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014)

139 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This movie was brilliant. I'm tempted to say that it's one of the best, if not the best (in my eyes, at least) Marvel movie yet. Everything was perfect, especially the third act (The scene where cap falls into the is simply brilliantly filmed). I only had a problem with Falcon (Just overall, he was weak. I didn't like his suit or his personality - Yes, a few jokes here and there, but nothing to stand out and call him decent), and with the fact that The Winter Soldier was so underused. I mean, I am biased when saying this, but Stan nailed the character. He would've been even better if he got more screen time than that. Loved the first post credits scene (involving the twins) and felt kinda disappointed at seeing the second (It should've been in reverse order: Bucky and then the twins).

Also, loved to see Abed in this movie!

ALSO, the Pulp Fiction reference.

9.5/10

Edited by ChD
  • Like 3

Finally, I have seen a good...nay great stand alone Avengers movie.  The only good movie in this whole universe is Iron Man.  The rest have varied between shit and okay.  But now Captain America Winter Soldier has finally turned out to be better than all the rest.  The story was well done, Romanov is bad ass and still sexy as hell and the action scenes are terrific.  Evans looks like a Mr. Universe contestant now and his fighting style is pretty cool.  I liked seeing him fight George St. Pierre at the beginning, loved the War Games line (Shall we play a game), loved the checklist of things Captain America had to do and loved the Pulp Fiction epitaph on Fury's tombstone.

9/10

Questions for all the Marvel loonies:

Why was the main soldier bad guy so tough?  He's the one who fought Falcon at the end, I think his name was Brock.  Why was he such a formidable match?  Was he genetically altered as well?

Why was Black Widow and the other Security Council members going to fry?  What was on their shoulder or their body that would cause them to die or pass out or whatever it was that Pierce said it would do?

Who are the twins?

Was that Loki's specter in the mid credits scene?

• Like 8

Finally, I have seen a good...nay great stand alone Avengers movie.  The only good movie in this whole universe is Iron Man.  The rest have varied between shit and okay.  But now Captain America Winter Soldier has finally turned out to be better than all the rest.  The story was well done, Romanov is bad ass and still sexy as hell and the action scenes are terrific.  Evans looks like a Mr. Universe contestant now and his fighting style is pretty cool.  I liked seeing him fight George St. Pierre at the beginning, loved the War Games line (Shall we play a game), loved the checklist of things Captain America had to do and loved the Pulp Fiction epitaph on Fury's tombstone.

9/10

Why was the main soldier bad guy so tough?  He's the one who fought Falcon at the end, I think his name was Brock.  Why was he such a formidable match?  Was he genetically altered as well?

Why was Black Widow and the other Security Council members going to fry?  What was on their shoulder or their body that would cause them to die or pass out or whatever it was that Pierce said it would do?

Who are the twins?

I just got back from this and don't have much to add to what you said so I will answer some of the questions.

The thing on their shoulders were a device that Robert Redford had them put on once they got into the SHIELD building.  He lied and said it was just for biometric access to places.   It was there so he could kill them off if needed.

The twins are Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch

Yes that was Loki's scepter 

• Like 3

9/10

1) Why was the main soldier bad guy so tough?  He's the one who fought Falcon at the end, I think his name was Brock.  Why was he such a formidable match?  Was he genetically altered as well?

2) Why was Black Widow and the other Security Council members going to fry?  What was on their shoulder or their body that would cause them to die or pass out or whatever it was that Pierce said it would do?

3) Who are the twins?

4) Was that Loki's specter in the mid credits scene?

Not a loonie, but still.1) And why is Black Widow so great fighter? Same as this guy, high class SHIELD Agent.2) They clipped identificators once they get into SHIELDS quarters. That devices causes some electrical(?) shock to heart and kills. Dunno how BW survived, while others not.3) Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Members of Avengers in comics. Actually children of Magneto from X-Men, but this will be changed in Avengers:Age Of Ultron, obviously.4) Yes, it was.

• Like 2

Brock Rumlow. As far as I know he's not altered in any way, he's just incredibly skilled and conditioned (like Black Widow and Hawkeye in the MCU).

Pierce gave them some odd USB-like thing that gave them access to everywhere in the building, but he also had it rigged with some sort of thermite explosive or something that when trigged would burn through their chest and their heart. At least I think that's what it was. Nothing happened to Widow since she triggered some electric pulse on herself that knocked her out but also fried the device.

Who are the twins?

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. They're mutants who were revealed to be Magneto's children, but the MCU can't use the word mutant or anything related to Magneto. Quicksilver is also appearing in the X-Men movie in May.

Yes

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 5

Thanks for the answers boys.

I have wondered about Black Widow too but others have said before that she is genetically altered in some way.

9/10

Who are the twins?

ok just deleted everything i wrote. just saw people have replied already :P

• Like 3

I have wondered about Black Widow too but others have said before that she is genetically altered in some way.

In the comics, I don't think that's been mentioned in the movies

• Like 4

Yeah in the comics she is, but they haven't hinted at that in any of the movies yet.

• Like 3

In the comics, I don't think that's been mentioned in the movies

Yeah in the comics she is, but they haven't hinted at that in any of the movies yet.

Jinx :P

• Like 1

I was hoping for this to be a spy, political triller with Captain America in the lead, what I got was standard superhero genre fair. The only thing 100% consistent through out the movie was how hot Scar Jo is. Wow.

Its not a bad movie buy any means, but it just kind of sits there. No jaw dropping moments or plot twists. The problem is the film lacks a focus. Its trying to be way to much, we set up way to many characters, it resolves unnecessary plot lines shoe hoarded into the movie by Agents of Shield. 

Chris Evans is better then ever as Captain America, he really sold me with this film. The rest of the cast does a great job doing there part. Falcon is under used in this movie, he actually does nothing and has 0 importance in this story. Another problem I have is to much CGI, theres CGI and action in this movie because there has to be. The final action scene dragged on because I didn't really care deeply about the story or characters. I wish there was more Winter Solider in a movie called Winter Solider. Also A disappointing score. I don't even remember any of it, yet Im here humming TASM 2's music already. 

It got a little to over the top for me. 2 moments stick out, when Cap goes all John McClane on the jet, and when Falcon jumps out the window into the Helicopter.

Don't get me wrong its a fun movie with plenty of great moments and I love Captain America but is it anything special or memorable? No. People comparing this to TDK make me laugh, seriously? 

It reminds me of Iron Man 2, its to much a Shield movie and not enough Cap. The Avengers tie in sometimes backfires on the Marvel solo films. 

B- (82)

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 6

Huh. I didn't like this as much as I thought I was going to. There were a few neat parts, but overall I was kinda bored. Feels like a B-/B for now.

You must have ADD...need splosions every 2 minutes.   :P

• Like 5