62 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Had some really good moments and strong performances but after boarding the ark it just becomes boring and destroys the fun of the first half. Also Noah is portrayed as a bit of a dick, thought I'm not religious so it doesn't bother me as much as the mate I was with.

6/10

• Like 1

I thought it was 2/3 of a brilliant artistic achievement of visual and emotional filmmaking that turned into 1/3 that was, while noble in thematic intentions, a drab, excessive, and oddly framed slog. I absolutely loved it from the opening title through the "evolution" montage, but everything on the Ark/island after that was....ehhhhhhh. Just didn't hit home. Went too far in a zealot-y direction and didn't hit the way it wanted to. It's worth seeing for some of the beautiful shot sequences and amazing montages alone. The first hour and a half, again is really quite damn good.

Also, whether a film matches up with exact religious interpretation shouldn't matter if the film is an artistic and entertainment accomplishment. Nolan's Batman series has arch conservative themes and interpretations that go against everything I believe in as a liberal, but it is also my second favorite trilogy of all time, because it's so fucking brilliant in terms of craft and character. I watch movies to escape politics and religious discussions that dominate life- not just to reaffirm my own views. 

• Like 3

The funny thing is that Ben Affleck's character in Dogma was a former Watcher, so now imagine the Rock Ents from the movie with Affleck's face on it.Should be seeing this tomorrow.

Lol what is the slang for you all with the ENTs.. Are you saying exterrestials are in the movie??? :-o!! LOL

• Like 1

Damn me and Baum have similar tastes, I still wanted to see this one..

Hmmm (Conflicted lol).. Dont want to see a 3hr film that butchers the NOAH story and then leaves you flat.

I do like Russell Crowe and Emma Watson, so  I may watch a matinee. Did anyone here see the 3D version?

Godzilla 2014 is coming for Spiderman and the Summer Madness. Prepare for some films getting upset!

Finally the God lizard done right! :)

• Like 1

I thought it was 2/3 of a brilliant artistic achievement of visual and emotional filmmaking that turned into 1/3 that was, while noble in thematic intentions, a drab, excessive, and oddly framed slog. I absolutely loved it from the opening title through the "evolution" montage, but everything on the Ark/island after that was....ehhhhhhh. Just didn't hit home. Went too far in a zealot-y direction and didn't hit the way it wanted to. It's worth seeing for some of the beautiful shot sequences and amazing montages alone. The first hour and a half, again is really quite damn good.

Also, whether a film matches up with exact religious interpretation shouldn't matter if the film is an artistic and entertainment accomplishment. Nolan's Batman series has arch conservative themes and interpretations that go against everything I believe in as a liberal, but it is also my second favorite trilogy of all time, because it's so fucking brilliant in terms of craft and character. I watch movies to escape politics and religious discussions that dominate life- not just to reaffirm my own views. 

I think Nolan's batman has both liberal and conservative themes. .

• Like 1

Jesus (lol), what did you think of the performances? Can you rate them?

I thought they all great. Difficult to rank them all. 

Emma  Watson 

Logan Lerman

Russel Crowe

everybody else is tied but they all did good. Have you seen this yet Noctis?

• Like 1

Just got back.  Definitely need some time to process it.  I think the changes that are made to the story are completely justifiable and I for one thought the story of the Watchers was fantastic.  

I think the thing that's holding me back from saying I flat out liked it is because I wasn't moved by it, at least not consistently.  It had its moments, but overall wasn't cohesive enough for me in the ethos department.  Watson absolutely destroys me.  How can a girl be that attractive.  She is hands down the highlight of the film and has really stepped into her own outside of the Potter films.  

Either way, you have to applaud Aronofsky for his scope and vision.  It's pretty remarkable.

• Like 5

I thought Emma did a fantastic job with what she was given, but sadly, her character was written as "100 different ways to cry in a movie." Connelly's character was barely any better in that regard, but at least it was more nuanced. The performances were good in this, though terribly underwritten minus Noah. Especially Shem, who literally had not one memorable moment. 

• Like 1

Verdict:Production values and acting are both very strong.But there's a good amount of odd and messy character and story decisions that just don't get executed all that well. Everything from the Flood to the climax is like a bloated, soap opera version of Sunshine's 3rd act.

• Like 4

Verdict:Production values and acting are both very strong.But there's a good amount of odd and messy character and story decisions that just don't get executed all that well. Everything from the Flood to the climax is like a bloated, soap opera version of Sunshine's 3rd act.

I was interested in your discussion about the Jewish view and the Christian view of Noah yesterday. Do you feel like this represented either one of those views? Or do you think it's right that some people find it to be offensive?

• Like 1

I think Nolan's batman has both liberal and conservative themes. .

I don't think he really gives a shit. While TDKR had its Occupy Wall Street moment, I really don't think he was making a comment on it. Yes, Bane allowed for that movement to rise, but Nolan also showed that there were rich assholes who were looking for monetary power that helped Bane along the way (specifically, the guy who Bane says "And you think this gives you power over me?").

• Like 1

It's a hodgepodge of Jewish teachings, Christian teachings, and Aronofsky's imagination stirred into a mixing bowl to create a narrative out of a brief summary of events. Some of it works, some of it, mainly that ark-set 3rd act (and the odd changes Aronofsky makes to ensure that 3rd act happens the way it does), doesn't.Of course people have the right to be offended by the film because offense is a matter of personal opinion and taste.As I said before, I see Noah more as an adaptation of the Biblical story just as Troy adapted the Iliad, which was a tale of Greek Gods in addition to the human struggle. Like Troy, it makes some odd and messy creative choices that aren't executed all that well storywise.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

I don't think he really gives a shit. While TDKR had its Occupy Wall Street moment, I really don't think he was making a comment on it. Yes, Bane allowed for that movement to rise, but Nolan also showed that there were rich assholes who were looking for monetary power that helped Bane along the way (specifically, the guy who Bane says "And you think this gives you power over me?").

I do not think gives the shit either. Which is why people can take both views. OWS moment started during his filming. So he was not making a comment on it. 

• Like 2