62 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

9/10Another great movie by Darren Aronofsky, Matthew Libatique and Clint Mansell.ML overcome himself and did best cinematography in his career.Actors: Jennifer Connely. Completly outstanding, amazing performance. Rest was good, but Jennnifer... Scenestealer.Music. Not bad. A little too much like The Fountain, but worse. Shame, that Clint never uses the piano, when we know that he is amazing at writing simple piano themes.Script. Great! Ideally written story. Additional elements was fitting and I don't have any problems with them.Nephilims was awesome. They looked and moved a little like giant monsters from epic 60s' movies, but yet - the dodn't had that stop-motion fakeness.Very positiv thing was that scenario wasn't schematical, and the biggest and most intensive aprt was in second act.Summary - for Aronofskys' fans. Others probably can not to like 'weird' frame composing, narration and camera movement.Oh, that cinematography... totally in love with that. 

• Like 5

It's a hodgepodge of Jewish teachings, Christian teachings, and Aronofsky's imagination stirred into a mixing bowl to create a narrative out of a brief summary of events. Some of it works, some of it, mainly that ark-set 3rd act (and the odd changes Aronofsky makes to ensure that 3rd act happens the way it does), doesn't.Of course people have the right to be offended by the film because offense is a matter of personal opinion and taste.As I said before, I see Noah more as an adaptation of the Biblical story just as Troy adapted the Iliad, which was a tale of Greek Gods in addition to the human struggle. Like Troy, it makes some odd and messy creative choices that aren't executed all that well storywise.

I was with Aronofsky up till the flood but he overreached with Noah going bat shit crazy and and thinking he had to kill his grand daughters.

• Like 1

I was with Aronofsky up till the flood but he overreached with Noah going bat shit crazy and and thinking he had to kill his grand daughters.

I think part of it is just how messy the writing is. For example, I was onboard with a stowaway getting onto the Ark at the last minute. But then having him remain hidden for 9 MONTHS, even with Ham's help, was just totally silly and stupid and eyeroll-worthy.

• Like 2

I think part of it is just how messy the writing is. For example, I was onboard with a stowaway getting onto the Ark at the last minute. But then having him remain hidden for 9 MONTHS, even with Ham's help, was just totally silly and stupid and eyeroll-worthy.

But it was 300 cubits long.  300 cubits.  That's huge area.  You could probably hide every species on the planet in a space that big.

• Like 1

Just got back and I really enjoyed this. Watson, Crowe, and Lerman are terrific. The visual effects felt a bit off however they weren't terrible as some people claim. I really like Aronofsky's take on the story of Noah. I liked how he used the Book of Enoch not just Genesis. I don't really see why Christians are so angry about this film. I didn't find it offensive at all. Overall a really good film and I will probably see it again because I enjoyed it so much. This is the best movie of the year so far. (I have only seen 300: Rise of An Empire, Pompeii, and this....don't judge I'm a poor college kid with a very select choice in movies)

9/10

• Like 4

While I do joke about the Rock Ents, I do think the film incorporated the Watchers fairly well, particularly in their final redemption sequence. It was kinda wasteful to cast Nick Nolte and then obscure his voice and everything. I could tell which one was Mark Margolis, but that's probably just because I recall well him speaking as flashback Hector Salamanca

• Like 4

I really dig this movie, I almost cried 2 times, when the white dove with olive brach was on screen and when Noah spared the two sisters. The actors were all great, and I loved the score. What I did not like very much was the CGi, it looked fake in almost every shot where they used it.... I give this a 8/10.

• Like 5

Easily explained, as the ark was gigantic, and only Noah as an adult male.
  • Like 1

He thought God's desire was to save the animals and to kill off the human race, who weren't worthy to live.I don't understand how this family is going to repopulate the human race. With what, a bunch of inbreds?
  • Like 1

I liked it. Solid B for me. Kinda a mess in places but unexpectedly powerful too. Very much of a personal epic and that's all too rare these days.

What did you think of the performances? Did you like Emma? =]

• Like 1

What did you think of the performances? Did you like Emma? =]

You've asked this about 5 times now.  Everyone has said Emma was great.  :)

• Like 1

Easily explained, as the ark was gigantic, and only Noah as an adult male.

Actually it's not as big as you think. It was 300 cubits long since Aronofsky said they followed the dimensions in the Bible. A cubit is approximately 20 inches. 6000 inches = 500 feet long.

• Like 1