Dark Jedi Master 007

Are You Getting Tired of Comic Book Films?

81 members have voted

1. 1. Are you faitgued by the amount of comic book films we keep getting

• Yes, enough is enough.
    • Somewhat, but every once in a while, a good one comes out and changes my mind.
    • I can't tell right now.
    • No, but I am worried that I soon will be.
    • Are you kidding? COMIC BOOK FILMS ROCK!!!!!!

had I answered before Cap 2 came out I would have said yes.. "Winter Soldier" completely renewed my faith in Comic books films!.  really as long as they keep making good CB films that take risks I'll be interested.

I'm not getting tired of comic book films since I only watch the ones that interest me. It doesn't matter how many come out in a given year because I can pick and choose the ones that I personally feel would be worth my time. I can only assume that is the same for everyone else, which makes this poll completely inane. Nobody is forced to watch any film, regardless of genre, so if they're not interested they can simply ignore them.

The "Oh, but I see the trailers/ads and studios spend lots of money on them" arguments are ridiculous. I happen to dislike romcoms, most YA films and gross-out comedies but none of those genres causes me any distress because I pay very little attention to them. The last romantic comedy I watched in a theater was Four Weddings And A Funeral and I've never paid money to watch a gross-out film. Even though I've seen trailers and ads for every awful Adam Sandler, Katherine Heigl and Twilight movie that has come down the pike, I just mentally check out while they're playing and then enjoy the film I'm there to see. This is how rational people behave when they dislike a film genre: They don't patronize it and they certainly don't whine about the fact that it even exists.

• Like 1

A week or two ago, a friend asked me what comic book movie I'm most excited about. I thought for a moment and then told him none of them, really. Then I thought some more and said DoFP, because childhood nostalgia goes a long way.

(And then I mentioned BH6, but that's for other reasons entirely.)

I'll still go to a number of them, and probably enjoy most of them, but they are getting a bit tiring. It's not that they're bad, but they've become such linchpins for the movie industry that they don't really reach for anything. They put in a lot of effort to make sure they don't suck, sure, but there's no effort to stretch and try anything new, either. Few things in any of these films are truly a surprise that provides an emotional response.

• Like 1

Oh, forgive me for being irrational and feeling tired over a genre, if only I could see the light of sanity. :rolleyes:

If only you could. It isn't rational to waste time lamenting something that you could simply ignore. It's not like you're being strapped down and forced to watch any of these movies. You can concentrate on the genres you personally like and stop expending energy on then ones you don't.

• Like 2

By that logic, I shouldn't talk about any films cause every time I do, I expend unnecessary energy that could be used for school, work, or something else. I talk about whatever interests me and this interests me. How about you actually form a real argument explaining why comic book movies feel fresh and original?

Lol snobs can go watch their films about the meaning of life.

Cause those are the only other types of movies, right?Some of you people stun me. The thread wasn't meant as an attack on the stupidity of comic book movies or as a way to "whine," but to simply have a legitimate discussion without the need to be condescending (which I admit, I am doing right now), but rather than argue we hear words like "snob" and "irrational" being thrown around. 

• Like 1

Cause those are the only other types of movies, right?Some of you people stun me. The thread wasn't meant as an attack on the stupidity of comic book movies or as a way to "whine," but to simply have a legitimate discussion without the need to be condescending (which I admit, I am doing right now), but rather than argue we hear words like "snob" and "irrational" being thrown around. 

Can an argument be made that Comic book movies are too numerous? 

Yes 

Nope. When you compare to the number of other movies being released the number is really small. I guess since they are big budget tent poles we get swamped with the marketing. But nope I'm not getting tired of them. If I don't want to see one I'll just ignore it like it doesn't exist.

No im not getting tired of them, if I don't like a comic book movie I wont slate the whole genre because of it, ill just dislike that one film. If a comic book movie doesn't appeal to me then I wont watch it. Its hard to get sick of a genre that have delivered so many great movies.

This. If one doesn't look appealing to me, I skip it. I don't blame the genre itself. I don't rant about horror movies and slashers despite an hundred being released each year using the same old tropes and cliches since the seventies especially zombie movies.

Most of them, I don't even see them in theaters. (Didn't see Avengers, IM3, MOS, Thor 2 in theaters. I checked out CA2 in theater because I had time to kill in Paris).

Edited by dashrendar44

I think that most people's gripe with CBM is that it's grabbing so much of the public's and board's attention.  Which could be true. Because I concentrate on these I see that headlines and news attention has been growing rapidly.  However CBM's are proven money makers and appears to be a genre that crosses borders so it's not a surprise that more are being made.  

Personally, I'm indifferent to the number of CBM out.  I'll watch the one's i want and ignore the rest.  Simple as that IMO. 

But to those who complain about CBM's....CBM's haven't stopped other movie's from being made.  I don't see any less small movies, dramas, comedies, animation, and other genres being produced and distributed.  And they don't stop other types of movies breaking out as well.  Again I believe the "fatigue" is because it gets a lot of attention in the news and on this board especially when it comes to flame wars.

I think that most people's gripe with CBM is that it's grabbing so much of the public's and board's attention.  Which could be true. Because I concentrate on these I see that headlines and news attention has been growing rapidly.  However CBM's are proven money makers and appears to be a genre that crosses borders so it's not a surprise that more are being made. Personally, I'm indifferent to the number of CBM out.  I'll watch the one's i want and ignore the rest.  Simple as that IMO. But to those who complain about CBM's....CBM's haven't stopped other movie's from being made.  I don't see any less small movies, dramas, comedies, animation, and other genres being produced and distributed.  And they don't stop other types of movies breaking out as well.  Again I believe the "fatigue" is because it gets a lot of attention in the news and on this board especially when it comes to flame wars.

I'll go further and say some people could be envious of how popular and successful the SH genre is. They wish it was their favorite genre getting all the love instead.Classic player hating.