Dark Jedi Master 007

Are You Getting Tired of Comic Book Films?

81 members have voted

1. 1. Are you faitgued by the amount of comic book films we keep getting

• Yes, enough is enough.
    • Somewhat, but every once in a while, a good one comes out and changes my mind.
    • I can't tell right now.
    • No, but I am worried that I soon will be.
    • Are you kidding? COMIC BOOK FILMS ROCK!!!!!!

I've waited my whole life to see all these heroes on the big screen. I dont think i will ever get tired of them

I remember watching the 1990s X-Men cartoon and wondering what it would be like to see the X-Men onscreen.  It was a dream.  Now there have been 7 with 2 planned (Apocalypse and Wolverine 2).  I do think we've hit the peak when it comes to X-Men but my point is that many of our dreams are being realized.   Who would have thought Elektra would get her own movie?  CBMs are that mainstream!

Edited by lilmac

Some of the comic book movies are just stories that fans and audience have been waiting for decades to see on screen.

Seeing a darker version of Batman, seeing the Avengers assemble, seeing Spiderman the first time on screen..

Finally seeing a real version of the hulk and so and so on. 

Not really. If anything, I'm gonna enjoy all of it while it lasts. These things go in cycles. They don't last forever. The Spaghetti Westerns, the Pirate films, disaster films, slashers, young adult adaptations, fantasy films, found-footage, etc. They all rose, peaked, and fell in popularity (or are in the process). It is inevitable. Its all an endless cycle. They will fall out of style eventually, but for now I'll bask in the sun and enjoy them for what they are.  

Hm, its not that theres so many, its just that they've taken over Hollywood. PG-13, big budget CBMs and book adaptions rule the top echelon every year now. I miss the 90's era where anything went and anything could be #1. WWII drama, G rated animation, alien attack, interesting man living in Alabama, a ship sinking, a slapstick Tom and Jerry-esque comedy, a hand drawn movie that doesnt even take place in America. We probably wont see movies like that penetrate the top anymore and I hate it. I dont want to see IM4 and Dark Knight 5 and Thor 4 and Avengers 6 easily take it every year and I dont want to be "locks" two years out. I wanna see an original movie based on an "original" concept take the top. Avatar was one, but now its about to get sequeled out. I just want surprise back in Hollywood, when we have no idea how the top 10 could look. In the 90's, a movie like Jupiter Ascending would have just as big a shot to hit #1 as TDK and Iron Man 3. Thats what I want to see again.Also they're kind of getting repetitive, but I dont see every one so it doesnt bother me really. I dont read comics, but I love CBM's. Keep churning them out, but I want to see Hollywood focus on other things as well. I want yearly surprise back in the BO.

• Like 3

Tired ? If anything i feel that marvel is just starting . I can't wait for avenegers3 with thanos, dr strange (i wonder what tone this movie will have ), iron man 4 with mandarin, captain america 3 with the red skull in this era . O.k not all these movies will be like that but i fell there are good chances . i was actually dreaming about these movies when i wa a kid. I don't reallty care for marvel movies from other studios , most seem horrible to me (FF4 reboot LOOOOL)  though i am curious about how X-Men apocalypse will urn out .

As for DC i was never a fan of anything but batman but i would have liked a MOS sequel with a villain like darkseid .

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 1

Yes and computer animated movies as well. There are just way too many computer animated films these days.

I think that the solution is for other studios to stop making CBMs and computer animated films, and just leave those genres to Disney.

Posted Image

• Like 1

To be honest the only reason Male Audiences largely still go to theaters is comic book movies.

If it were not for that, even the increase upswing in female themed movies would have caused box office to decline. 

To be honest the only reason Male Audiences largely still go to theaters is comic book movies.

If it were not for that, even the increase upswing in female themed movies would have caused box office to decline. 

I don't necessarily think so, at least not comic book movies specifically.

Sure Iron Man 3 was a big hit but movies like Gravity, The Hobbit, and Fast and Furious all did well too.  I don't think if comic book movies stopped being made males would stop going to theaters, just a new type of movie would get popular.

• Like 2

Jandrew, good points about the 90's. I don't think a film like Forrest Gump would be able to hit the big time today like it did in the mid-90's. The same holds true for older films. Godfather was absolutely massive in the early 70's. No way in hell a film like that would become such a big hit today.

Everything has been franchised to death. Even an original, ultra successful film like Avatar was a $230m would-be blockbuster with a ton of CGI and action sequences. Not exactly the character-driven drama that you got with mega hits like Godfather or Gump in decades past.

• Like 1

Best Film Critic Alive.And not just because he agrees with me, his points in the article about auteur theory and why comic book movies have little incentive to push the envelope are very good points even if I did disagree with him.Another thing that I realized while reading his article is that comic book filmmakers are being less and less ambitious with each new outing. Yes, you had Nolan's Batman, but what else is really aiming high? Remember in the 70's when Richard Donner decided to bring the best possible talent together to make Superman? Or how about in the 90's, when Burton tried to bring a dark tone to Batman, while also delivering a cartoonish, but beautiful looking world? These were the biggest film properties, but these guys still set the bar high. These days, the biggest movies play it safe. The Avengers is interested in blowing stuff up, not any visual art direction that would stand out. Man of Steel was interested in blowing stuff up. Yes, you had the storyline about whether or not he would be accepted, but to me, that felt like so many other films (BR, TDK) that it didn't really seem half as ambitious as Goyer, Nolan, and Snyder made it out to be. These days, the most ambitious comic book films seem to be those that are less well-known. A Watchmen or a Hellboy or hell, even 300 (which at least attempted to deliver a fresh style to its action). Comic book movies have become less ambitious as the years and technology have progressed. 

• Like 1

Best Film Critic Alive.And not just because he agrees with me, his points in the article about auteur theory and why comic book movies have little incentive to push the envelope are very good points even if I did disagree with him.Another thing that I realized while reading his article is that comic book filmmakers are being less and less ambitious with each new outing. Yes, you had Nolan's Batman, but what else is really aiming high? Remember in the 70's when Richard Donner decided to bring the best possible talent together to make Superman? Or how about in the 90's, when Burton tried to bring a dark tone to Batman, while also delivering a cartoonish, but beautiful looking world? These were the biggest film properties, but these guys still set the bar high. These days, the biggest movies play it safe. The Avengers is interested in blowing stuff up, not any visual art direction that would stand out. Man of Steel was interested in blowing stuff up. Yes, you had the storyline about whether or not he would be accepted, but to me, that felt like so many other films (BR, TDK) that it didn't really seem half as ambitious as Goyer, Nolan, and Snyder made it out to be. These days, the most ambitious comic book films seem to be those that are less well-known. A Watchmen or a Hellboy or hell, even 300 (which at least attempted to deliver a fresh style to its action). Comic book movies have become less ambitious as the years and technology have progressed. 

I agree with most of this.  I am in no way tired of comic book movies, but yeah it would be nice if they would try to be different more often.  I get that doesn't sell as well as the others, but variety is always a plus