Films

A Monster Calls | Limited Release: December 23; Wide Release: January 16 (1,500 theaters) | Based on the Book

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Impossible. It's not directed by Nolan, Fincher, PTA, the Coens or Wes Anderson. 

Pans Labyrinth is a brilliant movie.

del Toro though. I really like the movie, but he is one of the directors with a vocal dedicated fanbase who tend to overrate him. Exhibit A: Pacific Rim. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sam said:

del Toro though. I really like the movie, but he is one of the directors with a vocal dedicated fanbase who tend to overrate him. Exhibit A: Pacific Rim. 

Pan Labyrinth was a critical darling though well beyond any dedicated fan base - a low budget foreign language dark fantasy/fairy tale set in WW II and without huge ass robots, vampires or Hellboys (though I love the Hellboys).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Pan Labyrinth was a critical darling though well beyond any dedicated fan base - a low budget foreign language dark fantasy/fairy tale set in WW II and without huge ass robots, vampires or Hellboys (though I love the Hellboys).

I gotcha. And I agree.

I was just referring to the part you said that it's impossible for it to be overrated since it's not directed by the others you mentioned.

• Like 1

Toby Kebbell is in this. Glad he is getting live action roles after so many debacles. He is best when used as a supporting actor and great as lead motion captures role. Boxoffice though....let's see how this fares. I have faith that today's audience has matured taste and intelligent enough to support such movies.

• Like 1