Films

A Monster Calls | Limited Release: December 23; Wide Release: January 16 (1,500 theaters) | Based on the Book

54 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Toby Kebbell is in this. Glad he is getting live action roles after so many debacles. He is best when used as a supporting actor and great as lead motion captures role. Boxoffice though....let's see how this fares. I have faith that today's audience has matured taste and intelligent enough to support such movies.

Kebbell's in Gold too, which also looks pretty good.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IndyRex said:

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1554639/a-monster-calls-is-the-years-best-movie?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

A Monster Calls has been called (no pun intended) "A masterpiece", "Best movie of the year", and Bayona has been called "The next Spielberg" (last time it happened with Shyamalan).

....I think Shyamalan really was (and maybe still is) the next Spielberg, except for 3 awful films. But Spielberg did really bad films too, so... I write this very little so you won't start killing me lol

Perfect since Bayona is directing Jurassic Park 5

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Yep, makes me feel like there's a decent chance it could be a better film than JW. Although Trevorrow is still writing the script.

After Jurrasic World I thought nothing could induce to me to watch another but Bayona as a director just might do it. Treverrow writing the script though ....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

After Jurrasic World I thought nothing could induce to me to watch another but Bayona as a director just might do it. Treverrow writing the script though ....

"Jurassic World" script wasn't even that bad. Maybe it's because I recently watched "Independence Day Resurgence" and... I mean, THAT is an awful script. 

Trevorrow wrote a very flawed and at times cheesy but overall effective script, which especially had a lot of really cool scenes. Considering Bayona could have a say for the script too, I guess we might get a better movie than Jurassic World (that I loved, with all its flaws).

On the directing side, Trevorrow did the job well with Jurassic World, but Bayona will definitely do much better. A Monster Calls will show once again how talented director Bayona is

Edited by IndyRex
  • Like 3

http://www.quartetrecords.com/a-monster-calls.html

Previews of Velazquez's score for "A Monster Calls".

That main theme sounds fantastic.

I didn't read the track titles... anyone who's already read the book or don't care about spoilers can tell me if the tracks titles are spoilerish?

EDIT:

I've read them, and... no spoilers.

Edited by IndyRex

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Focus/Universal

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Focus Features.

Hmm. Pretty sure Focus does alright when it comes to distributing Oscar flicks, but... I dunno. I see some Laika deja vu there. Hopefully more Coraline than Kubo. Note that this is in BO terms only.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Hmm. Pretty sure Focus does alright when it comes to distributing Oscar flicks, but... I dunno. I see some Laika deja vu there. Hopefully more Coraline than Kubo. Note that this is in BO terms only.

I doubt this was ever going to be a $100M+ hit either way.