Films

A Monster Calls | Limited Release: December 23; Wide Release: January 16 (1,500 theaters) | Based on the Book

I was thinking the same...like I'm not seeing any TV spots? Or interviews or anything. Who wants to bet it's going to get it's wide release changed again.

I want to read the book beforehand but I don't want to be spoiled :x 

Edited by Morieris

3 hours ago, Blankments said:

Kinda sad that this is getting lost in the shuffle. Looks a lot better to me than some of the other Oscar contenders this year.

That's because it is! I have so far hated the awards contenders I've seen, almost all of them. I really enjoyed A Monster Calls! It's incredibly well shot and creative. Very heavy subject matter but I highly recommend the movie overall and the combination of animated elements, CG, and live action is really neat. I didn't know what to expect but among awards hopefuls it has been my favorite.

• Like 3

Sad to see my local theater is not getting this film (Granted we are finally getting La La Land so it's not all bad.) I feel this film is not getting pushed at all and I can't help but wonder why. It looks fantastic and very different from the other Oscar contenders. Unless Focus feels this is slam dunk Best Picture Nomination and they can then go all out with the film's release and promotion, I don't understand why this isn't getting a bigger push. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

Sad to see my local theater is not getting this film (Granted we are finally getting La La Land so it's not all bad.) I feel this film is not getting pushed at all and I can't help but wonder why. It looks fantastic and very different from the other Oscar contenders. Unless Focus feels this is slam dunk Best Picture Nomination and they can then go all out with the film's release and promotion, I don't understand why this isn't getting a bigger push. 

They probably thought Felicity Jones would emerge with more buzz from Rogue One than she ended up having when they moved it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They probably thought Felicity Jones would emerge with more buzz from Rogue One than she ended up having when they moved it.

That's possible but it still doesn't explain why they didn't buy more advertising for this film. The only channel I seem to find commercials air is on HGTV. I only know that because I go to the gym. 

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The Monster in this is absolutley breathtaking visually and Liam Neeson has such a commanding and soothing voice.

I can't wait to see this. I will probably have to take an hour trip but I feel if I can make it a double feature with another film that's not coming to my area, I can make it worth it. 

• Like 1

On 18/12/2016 at 5:21 PM, Morieris said:

That's right, it came out overseas in like early November and I never heard ANYONE mention it.

It was massive in Spain and the highest grossing film of the year, but that was obviously expected. Bayona's films are extremely popular over here. 90% of his current gross is from the domestic market, since it hasn't opened in any major market outside Spain (just minor European markets). That said,  it has bombed in all of those, surprisingly. I suspect some very bad marketing/distribution is at play, since it's a movie that should travel reasonably well, this is not a local product with local actors that's bound to be rejected by international audiences. It's a massive CGI fantasy drama with Felicity Jones, Sigourney Weaver, and Liam Neeson.

I liked it a lot, myself. A pity it's getting lost in the shuffle since people are missing out on a great movie.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

It was massive in Spain and the highest grossing film of the year, but that was obviously expected. Bayona's films are extremely popular over here. 90% of his current gross is from the domestic market, since it hasn't opened in any major market outside Spain (just minor European markets). That said,  it has bombed in all of those, surprisingly. I suspect some very bad marketing/distribution is at play, since it's a movie that should travel reasonably well, this is not a local product with local actors that's bound to be rejected by international audiences. It's a massive CGI fantasy drama with Felicity Jones, Sigourney Weaver, and Liam Neeson.

I liked it a lot, myself. A pity it's getting lost in the shuffle since people are missing out on a great movie.

Totally agreed. There's absolutely no reason it should be ignored by everyone. I have seen the HGTV ads though as I watch with my girlfriend and enjoy some of the home shows. The ads are confused as hell. The marketing department didn't see the movie or something?! I feel like they want to pretend it's this magical children's adventure movie. Adults see the ads and go meh, don't get it, looks like it's for kids. Kids see it and don't recognize anything they know and maybe it looks scary. Thus everyone is confused and it makes no sense.

It's about as far from a kids movie as imaginable so I don't really know why they're going with that angle. 

Its such a tough subject matter that it's bound to be a hard sell but it's still a shame it can't get a bit more positive press. I'm probably the toughest to please person around when it comes to these so-called "awards movies" and this was one of the few where I really thought it was a strong movie deserving of at least people checking it out. 

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 1

Films like this are what cinema is made for. Shame on the distributor for not giving it more of a push.

55 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

since it hasn't opened in any major market outside Spain (just minor European markets). That said,  it has bombed in all of those, surprisingly. I suspect some very bad marketing/distribution is at play, since it's a movie that should travel reasonably well, this is not a local product with local actors that's bound to be rejected by international audiences. It's a massive CGI fantasy drama with Felicity Jones, Sigourney Weaver, and Liam Neeson.

It has been released in the UK :) the screening I went to was sold out but that was opening day and in a small cinema so not sure how it's gonna hold up. There won't be any figures until the end of its 8-day opening weekend.

• Like 3