Films

A Monster Calls | Limited Release: December 23; Wide Release: January 16 (1,500 theaters) | Based on the Book

On 1/7/2017 at 6:46 PM, trifle said:

People on my twitter time line think this is great. Huh.  I haven't even been following it.  Going to find a trailer or something.

Some ppl don't like Jahn's but he can be refreshingly honest and suprisingly insightful.

• Like 5

Not quite as positive as some on here, but there was a lot of good stuff here. The visual sequences were truly terrific, but the emotional elements could have used a bit more nuance. The themes kinda felt like a grab bag from better movies that explore similar topics.

12 minutes ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

Not quite as positive as some on here, but there was a lot of good stuff here. The visual sequences were truly terrific, but the emotional elements could have used a bit more nuance. The themes kinda felt like a grab bag from better movies that explore similar topics.

Pretty much what I Thought.

• Like 1

For me personally I think what set it apart was the blending of fantasy elements while exploring grief through a child of middle school age. Felt it set aside from the year's other great exploration of grief and depression ((Manchester By The Sea)).

• Like 3

Saw this last night, really glad I did. Was only one of two people in the theatre, which is by far the smallest number I've ever seen and I've gone to see movies on weekday mornings before after several weeks in release. It's really a shame so few people are seeing this.

Marketing team really did screw up. Not saying I'd know how to do better, but I showed the trailer to some friends and they all read it completely wrong. (Looks like a sappy movie for kids, but not very entertaining etc.) I saw the trailer a few times this year and had no intention of seeing this until I saw the reactions here. (Thanks!)

• Like 2

On 18/1/2017 at 10:59 AM, Matrix4You said:

is this considered a foreign film?

You mean, officially? It's a US-Spain co-production. I'm not sure of the percentages, but they should be published at some point by the Spanish Culture Ministry.

Fast and Furious 6 was also a US-Spain co-production though! But as opposed to that one, A Monster Calls has a majority of behind-the-camera talent from Spain. It's a real co-production, not a legal trick to qualify for government tax breaks.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2017 at 6:41 AM, Blankments said:

This felt average to me; completely understand why it bombed

yeah, it's pretty lame and obvious. the monster sequences are cool but otherwise it's a shrug. there's a lot of movies out there right now even that work much better as examinations on grief.

• Like 2

This movie was awesome, everyone should check this, one of the best -if not the best- coming of age movie that I ever watched, powerful, sensible, an underrated masterpiece without no doubt, it brought me tears several times, I just wish we could see more tales, they're basically an extended version of The Tales of Beedle the Bard from Harry Potter. It was better than Manchester by the Sea in every aspect.

I hope this kid will breakout in a big way, such a great performance.