Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

...I fail to see how the movie having pretty much the same climax as the book is "injecting cool action in order to spice up rational movie" or how that makes it "ridiculously edited"

A few things:

Whether or not that scene comes from the book is besides the point. I feel that the scene is written to excite or to dramatize the 3rd act. Launching yourself using the air from your suit in order to reach another astronaut guided only by your instinctive sense of direction is different from the thoughtful plan of surviving by building a mini farm or using old tech to communicate with Earth. I am OK with that though. The best action movies require last minute grab of chance and luck. 

The other thing: I am not lumping The Martian with "ridiculously edited" movies like Transformers or tons of other forgettable action movies. I made a point of how The Martian bored a couple of teenagers who were seen texting, putting up their legs in front of me. The Martian has a more "adult" pacing which is counterpoint to the breakneck pace of a lot of big Summer tent pole. There is a reason why The Martian is released in the Fall.

• Like 1

Yep, the KOH:DC is great.

Scott seems a bit like Peter Jackson in that his ideas are often so big that the film format doesn't really work best for them. If he could do 5-10 episode HBO miniseries, it would be interesting.

But he couldn't get the budgets he gets if he did those.

At least he can do the DCs, though.

Yep, the KOH:DC is great.

Agreed.

Exodus was a dissapointment,yes, but hardly garbage. I think Prometheus was a bigger fail for Scott.

Nice to see him get his Mojo back with "Martian".

BTW if the surface of Mars looked familiar it was because the Mars exteriors were shot in Jordan...and on some of the same locations used in Lawrence Of Arabia. And Scott is a HUGE David Lean fan, as his tribute to Lawrence in Prometheus shows.