Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

Seeing this next monday and trying to keep my expectations in check! :P

For those that have seen both the film and read the book how do the two compare?

The book is a lot more in depth when it comes to the science / problem solving than the movie is but you can't fault the movie for not going into as much detail otherwise the film would get bogged down in too much exposition.  I think having read the book going into the movie makes the movie better.  The one thing the book has over the movie IMO is all the funny R-rated language.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

The book is a lot more in depth when it comes to the science / problem solving than the movie is but you can't fault the movie for not going into as much detail otherwise the film would get bogged down in too much exposition.  I think having read the book going into the movie makes the movie better.  The one thing the book has over the movie IMO is all the funny R-rated language.

I was kind of expecting this but disappointed all the same, that was one of the things that made the book a really enjoyable read. Is the humor really lacking in the film then?

• Like 1

Its safe to say I expected something good..but what I got blew me away.

Humor was great, a lot of beautiful shots in the film, plus at times it felt like a "based on a true story" kind of deal...

Loved it. Easily one of the best for me this year.

A

Edited by kaijukurt

Its safe to say I expected something good..but what I got blew me away.

Humor was great, a lot of beautiful shots in the film, plus at times it felt like a "based on a true story" kind of deal...

Loved it. Easily one of the best for me this year.

A

You mean it wasn't based on a true story? http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/the-martian-is-not-a-true-story#.qpwJ1q9b4N

• Like 3

The Martian is Ridley Scott's 23rd film.

It will become his fourth biggest hit, attendance wise,behind

Gladiator

Alien

Hannibal

The Martian

American Gangster

Black Hawk Down

Prometheus

Robin Hood

Black Rain

Thelma & Louise

Blade Runner

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Director&id=ridleyscott.htm

Predator is truly the king of credits. 

No no, that would be BUCKAROO BANZAI.

I don't know how people not knowing Buckaroo Banzai will feel about it, but I thought they manged to include a lot of little details / aspects of the movie's characters in the end crdites. Including Goldbloom have to hurry up as they changed directions.

For the ones that haven't seen the movie:

that are the good ones:

Seriously bumped they never did the 2nd movie the credits implied

• Like 1

Just saw it. It was enjoyable. Damon was great.

Positives were Damon obviously, the humor, the supporting cast (no one really stood out but everyone was serviceable), and the cinematography.

A few complaints I had were with the pacing. A bit too much scientific exposition (I find it funny that there was probably more expositional dialogue in this than in Interstellar but no one is mentioning it) and a few needlessly convoluted plot points (China specifically).

Overall I'd give it a B+ and say Interstellar > The Martian > Gravity.