Plain Old Tele

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

Just read the book.  Interesting read.  The concept is interesting, but the book is actually pretty nerdy in its approach.  The hero is an engineer and a goofball, and the book is kinda this big set of puzzles he has to solve in order to stay alive.  How long do I have to survive before I can get rescued?  How long will my air last and what can I do to extend it?  Where am I going get food?  Etc.

I can certainly see how the concept of the book would make for an interesting movie, but I suspect they'll change the tone and approach around quite a bit.  

The psychological oppression of being trapped on the moon by yourself is only briefly touched on.  NASA worries about it for a bit until they get in touch with the hero.  They discover, as the reader already knows, that he's totally fine because he's a relentlessly upbeat goofball.  He has a running diary in which he makes jokes about everything and cheerfully ransacks the other astronauts possessions for entertainment value, and complains about their taste in music, books, etc.  I suspect in the movie this will be a bigger deal.

• Like 1

Ridley scott said in an artcle(dont remember which one)That he had seen the scripts for prometheus 2,the martian and the blade runner 2 .....

For the love of god, not blade runner 2.  

Also, I'm probably in the minority, but I actually liked prometheus.  I didn't think it was great, but I felt like I got what it was trying to say and it was as much allegory as actual story.  And I seriously dread the thought of prometheus 2... I mean, I can't even envision where they could go with it that wouldn't completely spoil the first one.

If those were his choices, The Martian was the right call.

Scott's glory days as a director are well over. However the involvement of Damon and Chastian gives me confidence that this could be better than his last few features.

Hopefully the script doesn't suck too.

Yeah, I mean he made a great movie with Fassbender, Bardem, Diaz, Cruz, and Pitt!

... wait

• Like 4

Hope for the best, expect the mediocre.

His name alone doesn't make me want to see a movie, but it also doesn't put me off seeing it. Exodus (which I think looks good) I will see, not because of Scott's name though. With this, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt right now, have to wait and see the trailers you know?

• Like 1

My God, Chastain is building quite the resume, everyone wants a piece of her, when was the last time that an actress was so much in demand with so many high profile directors ?

She got a part in the next Xavier Dolan movie while tweeting with him at Cannes.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1