Plain Old Tele

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

The last good Ridley Scott movie was when ? I already forgot, must be a looong time ago ...

7 years isn't that awful. He hasn't made any truly horrendous films since then. Especially since he had Gladiator and Black Hawk Down in 2000/2001. 

The Martian and Exodus both seem a lot more ambitious than anything Scott had done since American Gangster. He could pull off a comeback with those two. 

• Like 1

7 years isn't that awful. He hasn't made any truly horrendous films since then. Especially since he had Gladiator and Black Hawk Down in 2000/2001. 

The Martian and Exodus both seem a lot more ambitious than anything Scott had done since American Gangster. He could pull off a comeback with those two.

Uh, The Counselor was horrendous.
  • Like 2

The counselor dialogs are the most inept and stupid I have ever heard.

The characters are either making grand philosophical statements about life, death, destiny, fate and when they don t do that, they talk about hardcore and kinky sex practices.

And the author is supposed to be this classic writer, I really pity him for writing such a mess.

Brad Pitt death scene was the only good thing about this horror of cinema.

• Like 2

I get what The Counselor is trying to be (your typical crime-doesn't-pay story where the focus is not on the main action but on what's happening around it), I just don't think the result is all that good. To me the fault isn't in writing as much as in Scott's direction which is incredibly banal and unimaginative outside of a couple scenes like the guy getting beheaded on the highway or Pitt's death. The movie would have probably been a lot better in the hands of someone like the Coens or Andrew Dominik (whose Killing Them Softly is in a way the great version of The Counselor), guys who have their own vision and could elevate the screenplay's ideas with their direction. 

Last Scott movie I liked was Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut. It's been a long time and based on its trailers I don't even want to see Exodus. 

• Like 1