Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

Interstellar was doom and gloom and dark? It was Nolan's most humorous and sentimental movie and it was very much filled with hope and optimism. It really wasn't all that dark.

i rewatched interstellar the other day and there is very little humor. inception has way more

The Martian made $779,918 in HK/Macau on opening day and was the 9th biggest opening day of all time in Hong Kong.

Some other highlights
- biggest opening day for FOX
- 2nd highest non-sequel opening day behind The Avengers
- 2nd highest opening day of 2015 behind The Avengers 2
- Matt Damon's highest grossing opening day ever
- Ridley Scott's highest opening day ever
- 2.2x higher than opening day of Avatar
- 3.3x higher than opening day of Interstellar
- 3.6x higher than opening day of Life of Pi
- 5.5x higher than opening day of Gravity

• Like 1

The Martian made $779,918 in HK/Macau on opening day and was the 9th biggest opening day of all time in Hong Kong.

Some other highlights

- biggest opening day for FOX

- 2nd highest non-sequel opening day behind The Avengers

- 2nd highest opening day of 2015 behind The Avengers 2

- Matt Damon's highest grossing opening day ever

- Ridley Scott's highest opening day ever

- 2.2x higher than opening day of Avatar

- 3.3x higher than opening day of Interstellar

- 3.6x higher than opening day of Life of Pi

- 5.5x higher than opening day of Gravity

$500M WW is locked?

• Like 1

What was the one in the 90s?

I guess he had two in the 80s, though.

The 80s: Blade Runner, undisputed. Black Rain is my personal fave. Legend has a minor cult following.

The 90s: this is a near dead period for Ridley. Thelma & Louise is well received but 1492 was a bomb.

But that movie sets the tone for every medieval/ancient history movie in the years to come. This movie

is also another personal favorite of mine, the visual is just incredible. Depardieu is miscast but that is a 

minor complaint. White Squall & GI Jane kinda disappeared below the radar. Then he came back strong

with Gladiator & Black Hawk Down in the 2000s.

The 10s: Robin Hood, Exodus, Prometheus are middling to OK. Maybe Martian is the breakout for him.

• Like 1

The 80s: Blade Runner, undisputed. Black Rain is my personal fave. Legend has a minor cult following.

The 90s: this is a near dead period for Ridley. Thelma & Louise is well received but 1492 was a bomb.

But that movie sets the tone for every medieval/ancient history movie in the years to come. This movie

is also another personal favorite of mine, the visual is just incredible. Depardieu is miscast but that is a

minor complaint. White Squall & GI Jane kinda disappeared below the radar. Then he came back strong

with Gladiator & Black Hawk Down in the 2000s.

The 10s: Robin Hood, Exodus, Prometheus are middling to OK. Maybe Martian is the breakout for him.

I don't quite buy into the Black Rain love (don't get me wrong, the Japanese feel, and Andy Garcia getting some decapatation action going on...but still...not quite.

It's Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise, (ok 2000s are a bit off)...I like Goadiator, Black Hawk and Kindgom a whole hell of a lot...but whatever...I'm still calling it once a decade...Martian deliver.

I feel...pride...that my once a decade Ridley theory is bringing discussion though.

I love this forum.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

What is crazy is that Ridley is never phased by his box office (or critical) flops.

The Ridley Scoot Machine can't be stopped.

Robin Hood was crazy expensive and I am sure the movie lost lots of money but he continues to have the trust of the big studios and he s been doing almost (with the occasional small film here and there) a tentpole a year since Gladiator.

He is a unique case in Hollywood, he has an army of people working for him, chasing projects, screenwriters, designers, VFX guys.

Now with The Martian programmed success, Scott s power & clout will only grow.

He talks about doing tons of Prometheus movies, he s producing Blade Runner 2, for a guy who will soon hit the big 8, it s really impressive.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Fun Oscar Stat :

Thelma & Louise was the last & ultra rare :

Double Lead Actress Nomination

I did not know.

Deserved.

Geena and Susan are awesome.

Geena may may not be in much, but she's doing good things now nonetheless (feminism in Hollywood...she's a champion...and doing that well).

And Susan rocks on with her acting.