Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

I think 2001 is overrated. Its got some great shots and concepts, but its ponderous as hell. And while I agree that its an important film, its way to tedious and self indulgent to be a great one..

If 2001 is tedious and self indulgent I wish a lot more films were tedious and self indulgent. Interstellar unravelled because it didn't take the time to bask in the awe of its surroundings.

Anyway, great start for The Martian. Very happy to see Scott have a real hit on his hands again.

• Like 2

I think 2001 is overrated. Its got some great shots and concepts, but its ponderous as hell. And while I agree that its an important film, its way to tedious and self indulgent to be a great one.

Edit - The 3D love must vary from place to place. By me, almost all the showings are 2D and The Walk has all the PLF screens.

Totally. Respect its vision, but that doesn't mean it is easy to sit through.

It's still very much possible. Best case scenario is it has Gravity level jumps and drops, worst case is it has minimal drops every day (I'll be shocked if there's no boost today).

It is a very interesting to compare the Martian to Gravity:

Both involve an astronaut stranded in outer space after a failed mission

In Gravity, the astronaut could survive by being self-reliant. In The Martian

the astronaut will die if he is not saved. Self-reliance is a theme in Gravity while

in The Martian, self-reliance can only get you so far.

Both characters have to rely on their wit, creativity, and out-of-the-box thinking

In The Martian, the character is able to establish communication whereas

in Gravity, communication is impossible. Damon character can have a little hope

because NASA knows where he is. In Gravity, Bullock is spinning aimlessly

around the Earth's orbit. In Gravity, Sandra is lucky to bump into Russian & Chinese

gear to be used for re-entry. In Martian, Damon's fate is in the hands of his helpers.

The Martian is an excellent adventure but Gravity is still the more intense cinematic experience.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 5

Question, is this movie the kind that should be seen in the biggest screen possible? And for those who actually like 3D, is the 3D for this movie any good?

1. This absolutely needs to be seen on the biggest screen you can.

2. Can't comment much on 3D as I opted for 2D. There were some shots that would have looked cool in 3D but there are a lot of dim scenes in the movie so I'm not sure if 3D's darkness would affect it.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Question, is this movie the kind that should be seen in the biggest screen possible? And for those who actually like 3D, is the 3D for this movie any good?

Im not really bothered if a movie is in 3D or not, it doesn't really matter if you see this in 3D or 2D, the 3D doesn't add or take anything away.

As for the screen the movie is set mostly in government buildings and inside a shelter on Mars, so you could just watch this on your standard cinema screen.

• Like 1

Every film should be seen on the biggest screen.

• Like 1

Truly a great film that pretty much has everything an audience could want. Damon was incredible, Chastain brought her A game as usual, Daniels was great, and everyone else did an amazing job. Loved it was was about teamwork, comradery, and the undying will to survive. 

Looks like The Martian is playing at my local theater (they split movies with another theater, 20 minutes away). So I'll definitely have a chance to check it out this weekend. or the following week. Awesome. :)

Edited by FancyArcher
  • Like 1