Plain Old Tele

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Sherlock Holmes mostly worked on the back of RDJ, he was even able to carry the sequel which was a mess.

RDJ got annoying fast, he was playing Sherlock as another snarky Iron Man since it is all he has done the last 10 years.

Sherlock Holmes was saved by Jude Law. And in which blockbuster does Jude Law appear this year?...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

RDJ got annoying fast, he was playing Sherlock as another snarky Iron Man since it is all he has done the last 10 years.

Sherlock Holmes was saved by Jude Law. And in which blockbuster does Jude Law appear this year?...

Approximately 10 people went to see the Sherlock Holmes movies for Jude Law.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Approximately 5 people went to see The Judge.

The judge 47 million is not bad at all for what that movie was (a 47% on RT drama named the Judge).

It is not that far than what Tom Cruise make on a 96 million budget action movie sequel from a very popular book series that get bad reviews, Jack Reacher 2 made 58.7.

It is 10 million more than the DiCaprio last bad reviewed drama J.Edgard (37 million domestic) and that had Eastwood name and a well known figure biopic angle to help.

It is far to be some definite proof that he is not draw on a action blockbuster type of movie like Sherlock, selling a badly reviewed drama over 50 million without a particular high concept hook is just almost impossible, it was even for DiCaprio not so long ago (maybe now he could, but we don't know).

Fences was excellent and did really well, it only did 10 million more than the Judge domestic (and less worldwide) and that is freaking Denzel Washington in a best picture nominee from a popular play.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Now, can you fact check "Approximately 10 people went to see the Sherlock Holmes movies for Jude Law."?

Will be hard, but I doubt that it is that low but you almost never have someone that see a movie because of someone, it is always a reason not the reason.

But If I remember exit poll, even someone like Franco on Spider-man 2 had like 7% of the audience naming him as a reason they went to see it, there is a reason those establish face often make millions on supporting role on movies like that, I imagine they have some form on impact, that could go as high as 1% (i.e. like 600k people on a movie like that).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Now, can you fact check "Approximately 10 people went to see the Sherlock Holmes movies for Jude Law."?

What is there to fact check? He's never been a draw despite being a respected actor throughout his entire career. Most of his actual leading man roles were in flops.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What is there to fact check? He's never been a draw despite being a respected actor throughout his entire career. Most of his actual leading man roles were in flops.

Law can't open a movie but the last few plays he starred in were hugely successful so he is a draw, just not for movies.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm not sure it is as simple as that, an actor can help a movie without being a leading men draw, the obvious example if he helped make the movie better, thus helped the reviews and word of mouth.

But also when you compare him with other leading men, the conclusion is just that he is not has big has a draw has the others are, not that he is not one at all, a bit like a "bad" starting pitcher in the MLB is not necessarily a bad one in absolute.

It would not surprise me if Micheal Pena helped Ant-Man significantly (i.e. 1% or more) not that it is possible to know, he saved the movie from being below mediocre to me, I think he is a loved supporting player by the audience, but Chips flopped hard and War on Everyone even more (made about 0$ in the US).

• Like 1

Jude Law never really made it as a leading man*, but at one point was one of the very best supporting actors in Hollywood. And he will join the current franchise model (which will make his box office numbers more flattering) next year in Fantastic Beasts 2.

*Edit: Mind you, he did get an Oscar nomination for Best Actor in Cold Mountain.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

His time is coming.

00d7a4803ba41212bfced797e1d1049b.gif

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Didn,t power rangers have many screening too?

I don't know about the screenings but most people who watched it actually seemed to enjoy it and WOM was positive. It's just that not all that many people actually bothered to go see a "silly Power Rangers" movie...

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2