Plain Old Tele

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

4 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

I haven't seen this movie. I'm just talking about in a general sense of people wanting something different for the sake of wanting something different. Because something different can go either way.

Because same old, same old can just be rewatched on old editions of movies already done.  New is an opportunity for excellence...and that opportunity should always be sought, even if it sometimes fails...

I myself won't pay to watch repeats of movies already done (so I'm always leery to attend sequels or remakes until I know if there's anything newly explored or better than the original)...it's why I also cheerlead the new-type movies (whether they be new adaptations of books/tv shows, etc or brand spanking new ideas)...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drdungbeetle said:

Why did they cast Charlie Hunnam as the first great king of England, all he ever did was that stupid biker show that the smelly toothless methheads at Walmart wear the Tshirts of

There was rumors of a possible movie universe, so it probably limited casting choice to a list of actor that would accept to do a movie without any script now and unknown director in maybe 9 year's at a reasonable price.

The concept does sound also a bit of a big risk, that could limit who would accept to do it.

5 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

I haven't seen this movie. I'm just talking about in a general sense of people wanting something different for the sake of wanting something different. Because something different can go either way.

Well the way i see it, i couldnt give a fuck about king arthur so the only way i was going to have any interest in this is if it didnt look like a king arthur remake

12 hours ago, Jessie said:

Peolle cant win. First they want something different and when warner take a risk and try doing something different moaners like yourself complain its too different. If this was just a standard kind arthur remake i wouldnt have any interest. The fact it looks so absurd has actually made me want to check it out.

Filmmaking is hard. A good King Arthur movie entails combining both nostalgia and something new. Tarzan had the right balance. This doesn't.

I mean, there's not even a Lancelot, Gwenevere, or Merlin in this.

According to reviews, Richie treats the fantasy elements as obligations. No sense of wonder. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What level of bomb at the DOM box office are we looking at for this one? And, yes, I've seen the last handful of Guy Ritchie movies in theater. And, yes, I'll be seeing this tonight.

It's selling horribly tonight at all the reserved seating theaters around me and it starts in almost an hour. I won't be surprised if it does worse than Pan in every regard at this point, and that's saying something.

28/80 seats sold for my 7pm local 2d

11/80 seats sold for my 9:55pm local 3d

Not good, but not completely catastrophic, I don't think...

Comparison

23/80 seats sold for Snatched for my 7pm local

3/80 seats sold for Snatched for my 9:50pm local

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Epic tell-all about how the hell this came to be: http://mailchi.mp/theankler/from-whence-excalibore-may-11-2017

I gave up when I read "Akira Goldsman, uberhack".

I don't care any more whether I broadly agree with these 'net op/ed pieces or not, they're just leeches. There's little examination here other than pure schadenfreude. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Epic tell-all about how the hell this came to be: http://mailchi.mp/theankler/from-whence-excalibore-may-11-2017

I wish everyone criticizing this movie wouldn't be so quick to spoil every little thing about it even before it comes out. Some of us do plan on seeing it even if we are an obvious minority.

Not that spoilers are much of a problem for this movie in particular but it's just annoying as hell how when a movie is badly received everyone(as in mostly the reviewers but also stuff like that article or even users in this forum) seems to assume they are free to spoil the living crap out of it even before it has actually opened. Again, not a big deal for this movie in particular but this kind of behavior just really irks me.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

Really? We are turning to tabloid journalism now? @Tele Came Back - this is exactly what we were discussing earlier today. It is the pile on effect, people haven't even seen the movie and go out of their way to basically spoil things in movie threads now.

• Like 2