Plain Old Tele

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | Guy Ritchie | May 12, 2017 | Charlie Hunnam

We can disagree about Ritchie's King Arthur worth as a movie;but from a business it is clear the film is a big failure and the new franchise is dead.

You do not treat one of the classic legends of Western Civilization like it was a comic book franchise. I am not knocking comic book franchises..huge fan of the Marvel Universe and the Nolan Dark Night films (at least the first two) but you need a different approach in filming something like King Arthur.

• Like 3

And I stand corrected about Warners having a two to one ration for Arthurian flops as to Arthurain hits:I forgot about "Quest Of Camelot" being a huge, costly flop for Warners. Of course almost everybody else has forgotten about Quest anyway........

So it's 3 to One for Warners and King Arthur as a hit to flop ratio;"Camelot" "Quest for Camelot" and Now this versus a hit in Excalibur. Not good odds at all.

Edited by dudalb

44 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Uh, usually when they do massive reshoots on a movie ,it is a sign the movie is in deep trouble.

Massive reshoots are usually  drastic emergency surgery, and a lot of time the surgery does not save the patient.

You REALLY do not know much about how movies are made, do you? Huge reshoots are never a good sign. Sometimes they can save a movie,but more often they do not

And yet there are repeated times when reshoots do quite well. Two recent examples: Game of Thrones and ROGUE ONE.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

And yet there are repeated times when reshoots do quite well. Two recent examples: Game of Thrones and ROGUE ONE.

I agree.but my post was aimed more at somebody who was incredulous on why a film massive reshoots would still fail.......

It's surgery;sometimes surgery works and sometimes it does not.

• Like 6

I am so excited to see this! It opened here this weekend as well, but with my exams I don't have the time for it. But I will catch it on June 1st, in a combo with POTC5 (so my most anticipated movies of 2017 in one day). And on the same day I have tickets to the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Movie Concert :wub: It will be the best day ever!!!

Oh, and I hate this on repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGnfFW-vyzU

• Like 5

6 hours ago, James said:

I am so excited to see this! It opened here this weekend as well, but with my exams I don't have the time for it. But I will catch it on June 1st, in a combo with POTC5 (so my most anticipated movies of 2017 in one day). And on the same day I have tickets to the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Movie Concert :wub: It will be the best day ever!!!

Oh, and I hate this on repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGnfFW-vyzU

I'll watch it this weekend and I'm super-excited for it as well! It sounds like a blast.

• Like 2

Definitely looks like the bomb of the summer, maybe the year.  Even valerian will fare better than this and that one looks pretty weak to me.  

I watched it, enjoyed it, don't understand why reception is more negative than positive...... real bummer.  Oh well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MattW said:

Definitely looks like the bomb of the summer, maybe the year.  Even valerian will fare better than this and that one looks pretty weak to me.  

I watched it, enjoyed it, don't understand why reception is more negative than positive...... real bummer.  Oh well.

It has 79% on RT from the audience and a 4/5 after starting with 74% I believe which is pretty good actually. So most people who watched it did seem to enjoy it, it's just that not that many people were interested to watch it in the first place apparently. I guess the younger generations aren't really interested in King Arthur and there was no hook for them and it probably looked too "modern" for the older generations, that's too bad.

I'm stoked to see it this weekend.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3

Some sources are reporting that this fiasco will end up with Warners taking a hit between 100 and 150 Million dollars over this. Ouch.

And, to no one surprise, Warners announce it is scrapping plans for a King Arthur franchsie.

It would take a really huge flop for the to lose the Biggest Flop of 2017 competition.

ANd I am betting Disney will find a way to buy out Ritchie from Aladdin after this fiasco.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

And, to no one surprise, Warners announce it is scrapping plans for a King Arthur franchsie.

That was so ridiculously premature...FB was okay because the HP movies were proven successes.

Ah well, here's another five entries into Guy Ritchie Sequel Purgatory.

• Like 1

The Shay thinks... you should all mind your own goddamn business.

Seeing it THIRD time on Monday, also bringing my girlfriend. Movie is pretty well attended and received in my country - but it is a country of culture, which respects historical fantasy - UNLIKE THE REDNECKS!!

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

This movie :

tumblr_nlzzcpuUye1s9362xo1_1280.gif

Guy Ritchie :

18frchsnsy8ozgif.gif

But at least I was able to :

giphy.gif

Snatch was probably already lame/cheesy/so Post Tarantino two weeks after its release and yet, Guy Ritchie still thinks it s the coolest movie in the world so hey, let s do a 200M blockbuster version of it set in the world of  the legend of Excalibur.

So, people who thought this was a fantastic  idea in the first place are :

- Guy Ritchie & his frat-bro dudes.

- ......... some cool-hip 67yo Warner suit ? ........

Good movie, but sometimes (especially final battle) it was a mess. Mess, like Jennifer Lawrence acting). 

But, dialogs and glimpse/rollback/ritchie stylish edit and other "street London stuff"- obviously was the best part. 

And fucking this amazing soundtrack:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2LLS33eQvk

Daniel Pemberton is a jewel. Literally.

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

Any Sherlock Holmes fans here who hated this movie? Trying to decide if I should see this or not.

I haven't seen either Holmes film, but this right here is a boring mess. It's only worth seeing to know how badly Ritchie directed this.