baumer

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014)

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This movie has so many problems I could go on for hours.

But fuck it, I liked it. This IS Spider-Man. Andrew Garfield really killed it. The Peter Parker stuff is ok I guess, but everytime I saw Spidy swinging or making wise crack jokes I just had a huge grin on my face. I was transported and for 2 and half hours I wasnt analyzing every little problem or detail but enjoying the ride. 

B (83)

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 8

I loved the film. The cast was great. Some great scenes are when Peter visits Harry as Spider-Man and told him he won't give him his blood, and of course Gwen's death. So sad :( 

The score was great, and it was a great time at the movies. Upon first viewing I'd rank it just under Raimi's SM2.

• Like 3

Pros:

Gwen + Peter relationship

Gwen's Death

Cons:

All action sequences

Electro not really being important

Not enough time on Peter + Harry's relationship

Useless Rhino ending sequence

I think the movie wasn't as bad as SM3 but it's closer than we think. The director should have made Electro more vital to the main story or just not used him at all. The love story worked for me, but the rest of the movie did nothing for me. Not sure what to say about this franchise, it definitely needs the break out movie. Unfortunately, this wasn't it.

6/10 - C

Edited by #ED
  • Like 1

I loved certain aspects, but there were some annoying negatives too. All in all I liked it about the same as the first one, so 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

Positive

[*]Webslinging was awesome.

[*]Peter and Gwen were great.

[*]The split personality between Peter and Spidey was excellent.

[*]Enjoyed Harry's character arc until he turned into the Goblin.

[*]Sally Field continues to be a huge improvement over Rosemary Harris.

Negative

[*]Villains felt shoehorned into the story.

[*]Zimmer's music drowned out too much dialogue and the Electro theme was annoying.

[*]Multiple cheesy scenes featuring crowds cheering Spider-Man, just like the Raimi movies.

[*]Runtime too long.

Loved your review Red...  I love Sally as Aunt  May. Strangely, though  our Sally is the better Actress, I  actually

prefer Rosemary Harris's version of  this iconicrole.. And this is coming from  giant fan of Mrs. Field.. I rem falling in love with sally way way back starting with her flying nunn- through Smoking the bandit names and so much other classics. :)

( I agree some of the best stuff is Sally field in this film and the chemistry between Peter and Gwen ).

Also like the cat who is playing Harry. Though  James Franco rocked the role far better. Wish  they had given him better dialogue in SM3 bigtime.

(Was it me Redbird buddy or did you notice them going for too much of a Titanic Leonard Decapio look there for Harry Osborne?--LOL)

Are they believing the nonsense too that Leo helped get Titanic to all that glory all by his lonesome perhaps?--LMAO

I have to admit Webbs got the best eye on that webslinging.. My brother dragged me to a showing in 3D, and it really shines.. Now if only they can get the quality up to  match the visuals of that webslinging(Love the free fall moments :))

Wow you gave it a high rating there  Red. For me it was a 5.5-6.2. I gave Reboot 1 about 6.5-7.0

Edited by Superman001
  • Like 1

Gwen's death has got to be one of the saddest moments I've seen in a superhero film.

Wow Chessy Poofs.. I thought they didnt put enough drama and heartbreak into that moment.. I would have love to see TM and Raim's do the death scene.. It was still a good but sad at the sametime moment of the sequel.

I think they should have shown  more of the same fire as SM1 2002.  Where the Norman tells Peters he going to really mess up MJ slowly. And the angst and desperation in his face..That was raw emotion and a real portrayal of Peter or any actor ever scene on screen.

There is no way just selling Andrew crying  is selling Gwens death enough to audiences or fans like myself. They needed to go bigger and darker with something so profound in Spidermans life.

Some of the saddest moments in comics for me is when Peter tells MJ he cant be with her , he cant let her get hurt and webs  tthe love of his life MJ down to man who wants to marry her and that he cant take her for himself. And that  lone as stare as he puts on back the mask and looks at her for likely the last time.

Now thats EPIC!!--  I hope we will see this new SM rise to those kind of levels in quality. Jean Grey Dying and saving  everyone was pretty darn sad and epic as well in Xmen 2 :)

Pros:

Gwen + Peter relationship

Gwen's Death

Cons:

All action sequences

Electro not really being important

Not enough time on Peter + Harry's relationship

Useless Rhino ending sequence

I think the movie wasn't as bad as SM3 but it's closer than we think. The director should have made Electro more vital to the main story or just not used him at all. The love story worked for me, but the rest of the movie did nothing for me. Not sure what to say about this franchise, it definitely needs the break out movie. Unfortunately, this wasn't it.

6/10 - C

Yeah the way this one ended had alot of people in my 3D viewing say POS, or boo along with some cheers of fans that love Spidey no matter the subpar crud they see.. I still rank  SM3 just above this . Even SM3's weak hug ending is better than that Rhino cornball ending lol

Raimi's SM is great, has a lot of nostalgia, but the only film from his series that wasn't way too cheesy was SM2. There's no way I can say without being biased that anything from his trilogy is as heartbreaking as Gwen's death. It's one of the most heartbreaking moments in the genre. I'm not saying TASM series doesn't have its share of cheese, but it's not an overabundance like SM1 and SM3. I wish I didn't have to say that, but I've rewatched all of them recently, and unfortunately it's true.

It's not a bad watch, but in the end the best way to describe the film is simply messy as fuck.

The strong point once again is the relationship between Peter and Gwen.  Of course, no one can doubt Webb's ability for romantic drama, and such talent is clearly put on display here.  It is this aspect of the film that provides the personality and heart, and it's what made the first film work.  I feel it also allows the franchise to separate itself from other comic material that feels like it's just going through the motions.  Unfortunately, I felt there just wasn't enough of this, and this is coming from a heartless bastard who generally hates romantic material.

I'm not sure I've ever done this for a comic film, but credit has to go to Garfield here.  He is simply fantastic, and one of the clear highlights of the film.  Not having any literature-based knowledge on Spidey, he just feels like Spider-Man to me in ways Maguire never did. 

On to the negative.......unfortunately, there is little to no focus to be found.  This is not solely limited to the handling of the villains, which actually ended up better than I expected going in.  The film is simply all over the place regarding themes, tone, mood, storylines, etc.  It's quite simply disorienting at times.

The end result is very much akin to a double-edged sword.  There is so much stimulation thrown at the viewer that the watch is pretty damn entertaining.  Individual moments and scenes do stand out.  Unfortunately, time to reflect allows all the flows and fallacies of the film to come to the forefront.  In many ways the onslaught of events jades the viewer during the watch only to have them come down to earth once the high has run its course.

One of those films in which all the parts (and there's way too many of  them) have trouble in forming a coherent whole.
Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1

Not having any literature-based knowledge on Spidey, he just feels like Spider-Man to me in ways Maguire never did. 

If you know nothing about the comics, how can you say that Garfield feels more like Spider-Man than Maguire never did?

• Like 2

If you know nothing about the comics, how can you say that Garfield feels more like Spider-Man than Maguire never did?

Personal intuition.

Does it really matter?  I enjoy Garfield much more than Maguire, I don't give a damn what is more accurate based on the comics.

• Like 1

Personal intuition.

Does it really matter?  I enjoy Garfield much more than Maguire, I don't give a damn what is more accurate based on the comics.

I prefer Maguire as Spider-Man because I like him in the role more than Garfield, plain and simple. I don't give a damn if he feels like the Spider-Man of the comics because I never read a Spider-Man comics in extenso so I can't state if he fully embodies what is Spider-Man on page. I just like how he comes across in the role on screen.

• Like 3

Just read through this whole thread.  This site has such a mob mentality regarding films.

Look, this isn't a good film by any stretch.  It has a pretty poor script, an awful score, and is all over the place at times.

That being said, the nit-picking on here is quite frankly ridiculous.  There are some good things to be had in this film but people would rather criticize tiny details that didn't really mean a damn thing in hopes of being with the "cool kids" who didn't like it.

It's sad when I'm the one having to stick up a little for a comic film, and I didn't even necessarily like the damn thing.  If you guys think this is really that bad, need to see more films.

Enough said.

I prefer Maguire as Spider-Man because I like him in the role more than Garfield, plain and simple. I don't give a damn if he feels like the Spider-Man of the comics because I never read a Spider-Man comics in extenso so I can't state if he fully embodies what is Spider-Man on page. I just like how he comes across in the role on screen.

When I say I've never read the comics and subsequently state that Garfield feels more like Spider-Man to me, there is an implied inference that is only based on the theatrical material.

Just read through this whole thread.  This site has such a mob mentality regarding films.

Look, this isn't a good film by any stretch.  It has a pretty poor script, an awful score, and is all over the place at times.

That being said, the nit-picking on here is quite frankly ridiculous.  There are some good things to be had in this film but people would rather criticize tiny details that didn't really mean a damn thing in hopes of being with the "cool kids" who didn't like it.

It's sad when I'm the one having to stick up a little for a comic film, and I didn't even necessarily like the damn thing.  If you guys think this is really that bad, need to see more films.

Enough said.

I don't think you personally attacked me or anything like that . I just want to say from a perspective of someone who truly disliked the film for the most part ( a 3/10 DOES mean I found some good things in it even if there were too few of them ) that as an audience member who also never read Spiderman and never cared about any of these characters on a personal level all I wanted from this film was to entertain me like say Winter Soldier did and I didn't get that precisely because of the stuff you mentioned above 

If those things are not what the movie should be judged by I don't know what is 

• Like 5