baumer

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014)

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Well thanks man those are my impressions of you aswell 

Regarding SM I would also just like to point out a few things in general I have a problem with 

1. I'm just not  sold on the villains and I am quite frankly bored of the 'oh he's just a tragic figure and victim of circumstances' thing they got going on the loop here factoring in copy pasted accidents that make em 'bad' ... I mean like I said I'm not a fan but I find it hard to believe that its like that in the comics too I mean people would get bored and stop reading them. They could start a movie introducing the villain instead of the hero we already know.

2. These movies always cater to some very cheap drama instead of action ... there are parts where they really drag on and there wasn't a single battle or action sequence in em that lasted for more than 8 minutes or so ( they are usually 4-6 and only 3 or 4 of them in the movie in total ). Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying that its all about the action but come on Spiderman ain't Nolan's Batman they just can't built genuine tension like that but why not lift off from say Spielberg or Abrams a bit ... those guys would never let their blockbusters go for 40 minutes without any ( mostly deserved ) action sequence happening.

3. Finally these movies are too damn long they need to keep them at around 120 minute mark  ... Raimi kept it tighter first 2 times around 

I've said my piece 

• Like 3

The film's tonally messy and has a lot of the modern superhero film issues (too many villains, bloated structure), but I'll be damned if Gwen's death didn't affect me. Still thinking about it an hour after getting out. Definitely agree with Cheesy Poofs; one of the most saddening character deaths in superhero history. Deserves a fresh rating for that alone, imo.

Aside from that, the film moves at a good pace, there aren't too many slow or uninteresting scenes, and the action scenes are mostly pretty fun if rather cheesy. 

B+

• Like 1

I'll just quote myself from the TASM2 thread:

A- until I see it a second time. My only real issue is "Evil Ed" Goblin and the absolute suspension of disbelief in regards to a man being able to transform into living electricity then reassemble himself(much like being able to transform into a sandstorm). But, finally seeing the Death of Gwen done admirably shot this film into the stratosphere for me. 

Liked it better the second time, but still a solid A- due to the same concerns. Although I will say that Electro's scene are worth the suspension of disbelief because of how Spidey handles them and the combination of music and visuals.

• Like 1

Liked it better the second time, but still a solid A- due to the same concerns. Although I will say that Electro's scene are worth the suspension of disbelief because of how Spidey handles them and the combination of music and visuals.

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

7.5/10. Solid entertainment but a step down from the last movie. Actually this one did a couple of things better than the first. The score was more diverse and interesting, a big improvement over the pretty generic score of the last. The visuals are top notch, as best as they could be, and Gwen and Peter's relationship was the emotional highlight of the film. Electro was good and Jamie Foxx does what he can with what he's ultimately given. Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn was a pretty good casting choice in my opinion and although the five minutes of him as the Goblin had me convinced he could play the part well. The rest of the cast do a good a job as well especially Sally Field. But...Paul Giamati just played a Russian cartoon the whole movie, Martin Csokas was incredibly cheesy as Dr. Kafka, and Felicity Jones was okay but I felt like she didn't play much of an important role. Electro himself was a tad bit underused, ESPECIALLY at the ending climax. No after-credits scene, which really pissed me off a lot. The biggest insult of all though was the marketing. Holy crap, if there were not so many god damn trailers, tv spots, featuretes, and clips being shown almost everyday in the month of April, If had not seen any trailers at all, I most likely probably would've given this movie a higher score. If Sony thinks they are gonna create a universe out of this, they better sit their sorry asses down and actually aim before they fire. Not that the movie is bad though. Those who are calling this the new "Batman & Robin" have a screw loose in their head. That movie, for a long time, destroyed the Batman franchise. This came nowhere close to the Batman & Robin level. Were there some questionable moments? Yes. But ultimately, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a pure good entertainment flick sure to please general movie-going audiences and the fans of the comics (somewhat).

Why was did it feel like everything was rushed except for Gwen's death? Looking back now to everything the only part I liked and was done well was their relationship. The villains were handled very badly IMHO. And the whole story lacked strength and there was too much happening that could have been left and they made the movie a mess. What I liked about the first one at least was that it was straight forward and not messy as this one.

I saw it Tuesday night.

It feels SM3 bad at least that had emo Parker. Plot was absolute mess and writing wasn't whole heck of a lot better. Motivation for Electro was idiotic as hell. Score wasn't great and I hated the foreshadowing of Gwen's death throughout the movie. They couldn't have made it obvious she was gonna die. Aunt May was pointless in the movie. 

Only positives were Gwen and web swinging which looked awesome. 

The final CGI-fest was ridiculous. Both Electro/SM looked fake on the grid. Sony has done a complete hatchet job with this franchise. It needs a serious rethink before TASM3 or it'll bit new lows in the franchise. 

Edited by druv10

I saw this is again yesterday. Was holding off this review until my second viewing. Now that it is done, let's tackle this bitch. I will talk about the different moving parts of the movie as they are very different from one another. 

A+ PROs

Peter and Gwen: Like duh! It's crazy how much the scenes featuring Peter/Gwen transcend the rest of the movie. They are uplifting, joyful, sincere, magical, touching and everything expected from a love story done well. That scene with Peter crossing the road towards Gwen is brilliantly acted and directed. I'm obsessed with Song for Zula by Phosphorescent. It gives me LIFE!

Aunt May: This probably had the best use of Aunt May after the epic Thanksgiving sass in the original SM1. I'm glad May was rightly pissed at Peter being so obsessed with his father when in fact it was Ben and her who raised him and defined him as a person. I'm happy the movie addressed that.

SFX and 3D: Much better than your average blockbuster. Really loved the two major Electro battle scenes and the Rhino shot at the end.

B-grade Good but could've been betters

Harry: I really loved how Dane DeHaan approached the character and he was way more fascinating than James Franco who nobody could buy as a tragic villain. Having said that, there were so many ideas there that weren't exploited to their full potential. Speaking of which,

Electro: Another interesting idea not explored properly. Both Electro and Harry represented a lot of interesting ideas and could've been excellent foils for Spidey. A lot could have been done on how or why Electro viewed Spider-Man as a selfish, fame whoring figure and how Harry actually thought Spider-Man was a parasite preying on hope instead of giving it. But as the characters weren't properly developed, those themes were just touched upon as lightly as possible. 

Are they saving Harry and Electro's character arc completions for Sinister Six? Dunno.

C-Grade Parts of Meh

Untold Story of Parker parents: Seriously Sony, nobody cares.

Sinister Six setup: I know they were holding back on a lot but whatever was hinted at, felt unnecessary and flimsy.

D-Grade OMG WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING WITH THIS SH*T?

Giamatti: I mean, the fuck? It's like PG was told that he was acting in a totally different movie and folks like Andrew and Emma were told they were acting in a different movie. What was this disjointed POS occurrence?

Ravencroft and Kafka: Again, no.

WRAP UP

I went in with lowered expectations and was rewarded. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are phenomenal. The Gwen Stacy death and Peter's reaction is straight out of the comics. Marc Webb is a brilliant and creative director when it comes to tackling themes of youth, love and loss. Other than Andrew and Emma's chemistry, it is Webb's direction that makes the Peter/Gwen scenes sparkle. DeHaan, Foxx and Field were all much stronger than I expected them to be. The action and effects were a much better improvement on the first film. 

Which makes it that much more disappointing how the weak script let down the director, cast and technical team. It shined in moments (where I suspect Pinker managed to salvage some of the K&O hack mess) but only in moments. Webb and his cast and crew deserved far better than this mediocre albatross writing. 

I hope Webb goes back to making excellent romantic comedies along the lines of 500 Days of Summer after TASM3. Hopefully, he gets Andrew and Emma to star in one as well. :) 

• Like 2

But numerous insiders have told me the same story, time and again: Orci and Kurtzman are stenographers, taking down every bad idea that the director and producers give them and somehow fitting them all into the scripts. This is why they keep getting high profile work - they make the executives feel listened to, and this is the single most important skill a Hollywood screenwriter can have.One example is that Orci and Kurtzman didn't want to have Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness. They were going to do Gary Mitchell, but JJ Abrams demanded Khan. Another is that in the original script for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 the Richard Parker stuff actually paid off because he shows up at the end and gives Peter the 'With great power" speech that's been missing from the series. Maybe - just maybe - these guys have good ideas...

http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/09/can-roberto-orci-make-the-best-star-trek-reboot-film/

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Which makes it that much more disappointing how the weak script let down the director, cast and technical team. It shined in moments (where I suspect Pinker managed to salvage some of the K&O hack mess) but only in moments. Webb and his cast and crew deserved far better than this mediocre albatross writing. 

But numerous insiders have told me the same story, time and again: Orci and Kurtzman are stenographers, taking down every bad idea that the director and producers give them and somehow fitting them all into the scripts. This is why they keep getting high profile work - they make the executives feel listened to, and this is the single most important skill a Hollywood screenwriter can have.One example is that Orci and Kurtzman didn't want to have Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness. They were going to do Gary Mitchell, but JJ Abrams demanded Khan. Another is that in the original script for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 the Richard Parker stuff actually paid off because he shows up at the end and gives Peter the 'With great power" speech that's been missing from the series. Maybe - just maybe - these guys have good ideas...http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/09/can-roberto-orci-make-the-best-star-trek-reboot-film/
  • Like 1

^Ugh, it's actually good that they didn't allow K&O to have Richard Parker come at the end and say the "With great power.." line. Also, Khan being the villain in STID was not the problem. Khan being the main focus of the film and marketing over the Enterprise crew and STILL being underdeveloped was the problem.  

I'm not interested enough in this film to read all 11 pages made it to page 6

the movie was ok i gave it a B

for the life of me i can't remember the 1st one , and i had no plans on seeing this until it came out on dvd but i didnt want to go home and had a good time watching xmen right before so it was spur of the moment decision 

the only thing i truly enjoyed and believed was gwen and peter relationship, their chemistry is flawless (helps they're dating in real life)

did a poor job explaining harry's rush to be cured when his father was well alive and older before dying 

another scene i liked was his parents scene in the plane 

i was pretty shocked at gwen's dead i heard the crack but like she had been caught by the web , clearly too late yikes, 

but yeah other than that it was mostly meh ! nothing worth getting passionate over on way or the other

Edited by Lady Daenerys SNOW-STARK
  • Like 1

It's more of a mess than I thought going in. The script is just all over the place, with stupid plot points and bad dialogues. There are quite a few bright moments, but then followed by many other WTF scenes. I enjoyed the acting but I feel that the core relationship is pretty shallow and artificial, which is a shame cause Garfield and Stone had great chemistry. It was the way it was written that was disappointing. I'm of the opinion that the direction is nothing good to write home about, and a more capable director would be able to elevate such a bad script to some degrees. There are some good and thrilling action scenes that I liked even though CGI seems dodgy. Dane Dehaan really deserved better than this. He was good, but his relationship with Peter, how and why he became a villain is just so stupid and contrived. I don't even want to start on Jaimie Fox's Electro.Overall, it wasn't terrible, it was fairly enjoyable. But there are good potential and talent wasted. And please Sony, you can handle Spidey right, just take the first step and get rid of K&O (seriously, what is up with their obsession for magical blood?)I think I'd give it a C.

• Like 3

This was a pretty bad movie, but also very entertaining. It couldn't decide between TDK and Batman Forever as to which Batman film it most closely wanted to emulate.

Also, DeHaan was terrible. I can't see how anyone can think otherwise.

C+

Edited by Jawa
  • Like 1

I loved it. The peter and Gwen stuff was the best part of the movie. I knew her death was coming but it was moving none the less. Im surprised at all the hate this is getting but I enjoyed it more than Cap I think.4.5/5

I think your love for Abrams proteges is clouding your judgment. :lol: