baumer

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014)

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Funny how Goblin is tackled like Venom.(You can do the same with Electro as well).

"Give me Spidey's magical blood!" ("You stole my GF, Parker, give her back to me!")

"Um, go suck a limp dick, bro!" ("Suck it Eddie, she's all mine now!")

"GRRRRR, I HATE YOU!!!! I'M BAD GREEN GOBLIN/VENOM!!!"  10 minutes before credits roll.

It's baffling how Gwen's mourning just lasts an accelerated montage at the end of the movie after tediously milking the event over the course of two movies instead of examinating the psychological impact on the main protagonist in the third movie. It just rushed past it quickly to get to a faux triumphant (aborted) Rhino fight. Yup, Gwen's death impact on Parker, his most defining tragedy, is a 6 months ellipse barely touched upon at the very end and rushed through just to get to a triumphant and supposed uplifting final sequence. So much for Webb's "relationships/intimacy" exploration knack. So tacky.

Is it me or Parker/Spidey doesn't give a flying fuck about catching Uncle Ben's murderer anymore since the first movie?(They didn't even manage to snatch Martin Sheen back for some moralizing flashbacks leaving it to po-faced Denis Leary)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 9

Sorry, Harry, I think it wouldn't be good. I can't. I'll talk to him but Spidey's not gonna like it. By the way, I have a sneaking suspicion that my dad's actually a hero 'cause, you know, I'm a hero and it might be genetic.

Posted Image

• Like 1

. Yup, Gwen's death impact on Parker, his most defining tragedy, is a 6 months ellipse barely touched upon at the very end and rushed through just to get to a triumphant and supposed uplifting final sequence. So much for Webb's "relationships/intimacy" exploration knack. So tacky.

I had to stop myself from laughing out of turn during the montage. He was more haunted by Papa Cop Stacy's death than Gwen's so far as the film's reality's concerned. Given how many superfluous narrative streams exist, I'm surprised that another, involving Parker also tracking Uncle Ben's true killer, didn't spring up.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

I had to stop myself to from laughing out of turn during the montage. He was more haunted by Papa Cop Stacy's death than Gwen's so far the film's reality's concerned. Given how many superfluous narrative streams exist, I'm surprised that another, involving Parker also tracking Uncle Ben's true killer, didn't spring up.

Yeah, that was really baffling how we got countless Cap Stacy visions thoughout the movie like "OMG I'm so traumatized" and then when shit got real, it's like "Okay, she's gone, I wept enough so let's get over it, booyah I'm back in business bitches!" over the course of a quick music montage at the end. Tone deaf and insanely unbalanced treatment.

• Like 3

Yeah, that was really baffling how we got countless Cap Stacy visions thoughout the movie like "OMG I'm so traumatized" and then when shit got real, it's like "Okay, she's gone, I wept enough so let's get over it, booyah I'm back in business bitches!" over the course of a quick music montage at the end. Tone deaf and insanely unbalanced treatment.

Yes. Strange. Just another example of the underhanded nature of the movie's concurrent storylines. It doesn't earn ANYTHING. It hurriedly tacks it all together and expects viewers to ingest it wide-eyed and smiling. That's why I found it the experience upsetting. And, the damn thing wasn't even much fun, either intentionally, unintentionally or otherwise. It just came and then it went.

If I had to summarize the TASM2 in a moment or scene, I'd choose the sequence in the which passenger jets nearly collide due to the power grid being offline. I can't think of a more generic illustration of innocents in danger that an audience - remember not a single character on either plane OR in the control tower appears in the film AT ALL prior - could be less invested in.

• Like 3

If I had to summarize the TASM2 in a moment or scene, I'd choose the sequence in the which passenger jets nearly collide due to the power grid being offline. I can't think of a more generic illustration of innocents in danger that an audience - remember not a single character on either plane OR in the control tower appears in the film AT ALL prior - could be less invested in.

That just reeked "reshoot" because somewhere down into the production they might have realized there were not enough stakes at this point on the outside world.

It's like the original cut was Electro cutting the power and Aunt May is struggling in the powerless hospital, then Webb and Sony panicked that it wasn't enough stake at play and feels too little of a threat because "Blockbuster's climax needs to be bigger, louder, dumber". So they reshoot it with the planes sequence to amp it up with a tacky suspense but like you said it's so generic and pasted into the narrative that you don't feel invested at all. I mean if Aunt May was one of the passenger, that would have been sound and better justified.

This tedious movie made by commitee is a scribbled heap of shifting tones and tacky stuff thrown relentlessly at its audience to take as face value without questioning like an ADD child playing with his action figures. (Imagine if they had kept MJ's character in that overstuffed puddle...Woodley dodged a bullet).

• Like 5

That just reeked "reshoot" because somewhere down into the production they might have realized there were not enough stakes at this point on the outside world.

It's like the original cut was Electro cutting the power and Aunt May is struggling in the powerless hospital, then Webb and Sony panicked that it wasn't enough stake at play and feels too little of a threat because "Blockbuster's climax needs to be bigger, louder, dumber". So they reshoot it with the planes sequence to amp it up with a tacky suspense but like you said it's so generic and pasted into the narrative that you don't feel invested at all. I mean if Aunt May was one of the passenger, that would have been sound and better justified.

This tedious movie made by commitee is a scribbled heap of shifting tones and tacky stuff thrown relentlessly at its audience to take as face value without questioning like an ADD child playing with his action figures. (Imagine if they had kept MJ's character in that overstuffed puddle...Woodley dodged a bullet).

I also think they added it just to have a countdown.  Despite the fact that they start the countdown a minute or two late.  Or that they literally couldn't do anything with that info in the tower.  And Peter and Gwen knew nothing about it...

That to me is a metaphor for this whole shebang.  

Edited by rallax
  • Like 2

yeah, if Spider-Man is like that in the comics, and many fanboys are saying that they nailed SM/Peter personality, then I think I hate Spider-Man.
  • Like 3

The more I think about it Gwen's death was poorly done. The spider web should have caught one of the clock gears and Gwen should have gone splat. Not a gory splat just a tasteful PG13 splat.And what the fuck is Ozcorp still using blueprints for?

Agreed so much of the movie went down the  trash can. The way Rhino was handled was laughable.

I did like some of Jamie Fox moments though.  Oh and the gwen stacy death had bare any of that

expected emotional resonance of the great CBMs.. Wow, I noticed so many are saying that momentous moment

was handled so poorly.  Time to change writers.

• Like 1

I'm glad us international members managed to lower the expectations for you guys so you ended up liking it in the end

looking forward to see how much most of you will lower your grades in the time to come  ;)

My grade went down to between C- to D

• Like 1

The death of Gwen Stacy was an epic moment in the comics , but all the characters were different, Peter Parker, captain Stacy, Gwen Stacy , the real green goblin....it almost felt like a scene from a horror comic book . I. The movie version, where everything was changed anyway , felt flat and indifferent . The death of Gwen Stacy was like the death of an angel (cause that was Gwen Stacy in the comics instead of the shitty version we got in the movies)I am furious , raimi should have done this moment justice when he was in charge of the franchise instead of ignoring the whole Stacy family .

Well put Thrylos... :)

What an awful film. It's nearly a miracle to screw this up such a spectacular way given the fact that both Garfield and Stone are amazing and their chemistry works. But the film still sucks. Electro's introduction is good, but he's wasted in the film, gets a final battle that's pretty underwhelming anyway. The Raimi film's humor wasn't there, Dane Dehaan played well, but again his relationship with Peter was fake and unrealistic, wasn't portrayed as well as in the Rami trilogy and again it's not the actor's fault. Thought the action was lame, especially compared to Captain America. 

The ending was rushed and was too predictable, what we learnt is that Garfield weeps better than Maguire. The only good thing in these new TASM films were Garfield and Stone, so it's best to avoid the third film.

I think TASM 2 is a failure in nearly every department. The score was pretty good, though.

C-

• Like 1

Someone else noticed this but, how can Richard Parker afford to set up a super secret lab in the subway with all that fancy equipment and shit, yet fail to set up a college fund for his kid before dumping him on his poor sibling.

Clearly, as a known terrorist selling bio-weapons his assets were seized under the Patriot Act.
  • Like 6

Someone else noticed this but, how can Richard Parker afford to set up a super secret lab in the subway with all that fancy equipment and shit

I think there is a pattern here, Lizard has a secret lab in the first one, Peter's dad has a secret lab in this one, Aunt May's secret lab will be the "shocking" twist of TASM3, under her house seems a good guess.

• Like 3

TASM23:25PMAbout 40% full, one thing I notice is that this theater is not as near as crowded anymore ever since the new one opened in November.Trailers:22 Jump Street: Couple laughs, mostly from me.Annie: Nothing.X:-Men: Some talking.Guardians of the Galaxy: The only trailer that was not a remake or a sequel, some laughs.Godzilla: Couple of whispers.Ninja Turtles-some laughs and a few comments.Movie: Really good, thought it was better then the original Spideys which have not aged as well. One problem was the marketing-which gave a way a little too much, like Rhino who is barley in it, Chris Cooper who is in it for about 2 minutes and finally Goblin's son. The visuals were great-in a way I kind of felt sorry for Electro, he just wants a friend! The audience loved it, they really reacted big time when Gwen dies. Not sure if I liked it more or less then the 2nd. While not as good as CA2, still a fun ride.A-

Edited by Impact

Let me start with my reaction. Yawn....

Anyway the movie's pacing is too slow. It could have benefited with a 25 minute reduction in its running time. Electro is a complete bust. A couple of action scenes are nice. Spidey's jumping/flying is jarring. 

This Amazing Spiderman franchise is in the league of Superman 3 and 4. Hope they stop this reboot/franchise with this movie. They can re-reboot in about 15 years or so. Spidey has become a laughing stock with this reboot.

IMHO, the end credit scene made no sense as far the spidey franchise is concerned.

C

• Like 6