baumer

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014)

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It seems to me a lot of that grief could have been avoided if Peter just leveled with Harry early on. I mean, he reveals his secret to Gwen in a ridiculously short amount of time, whereas Harry had been his best friend for years.

He still hasn't told Aunt May. That's a negative too, she does absolutely nothing in this movie.

Another negative: who seriously gave a shit about the planes in the climax? Just added false stakes to the climax

• Like 7

So there's several quite questionable character and plot decisions that just could have been avoided with a more carefully-thought out plot process.

But overall it remains very enjoyable. The Rhino bookends provide some much needed levity.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

He still hasn't told Aunt May. That's a negative too, she does absolutely nothing in this movie.

Another negative: who seriously gave a shit about the planes in the climax? Just added false stakes to the climax

I have a theory, based on the end when Aunt May is like "where is Spiderman?" and "where are you going" that she knows. She just doesn't want to let on.

• Like 2

I have a theory, based on the end when Aunt May is like "where is Spiderman?" and "where are you going" that she knows. She just doesn't want to let on.

Yeah, she totally knows. I actually think I managed to track down the precise moment she found out. Specifically when Peter finds her in his room staring at that wall collage thing he made in search of his parents. I reckon she went in in search of proof of him being Spiderman. She was obviously suspicious in earlier scenes (chimney/flag excuses) but after that scene she stops asking excuses of him and starts giving pretty blatant hints she knows. ("We all have secrets." "Shame about that 'Spider-guy' not being around.")

• Like 1

Is it me or Parker/Spidey doesn't give a flying fuck about catching Uncle Ben's murderer anymore since the first movie?(They didn't even manage to snatch Martin Sheen back for some moralizing flashbacks leaving it to po-faced Denis Leary)

It pisses me off how these movies seem to care more about the parents than Uncle Ben and Aunt May. May's breakdown in the movie made sense because it is all this Peter cares about.

"I wish your Uncle Ben was still here. He would've loved to see you graduate."

"AND MY PARENTS TOO. SCREW UNCLE BEN, MY PARENTS ARE DEADDDD"

• Like 2

Grade: C-

Taking cues from Superman Returns we get Stalker Peter Parker.

But of course it's cute and romantic here cause it's required to be, real life=restraining order

No reason, none at all to believe that Peter & Harry are "best buds". Harry was at boarding school for the formidable years of both of their lives. We get a throw away line that Harry was "there for him" during Uncle Ben's death. These guys are strangers and only thrown together as "best buds" cause the Raimi films established that via a better translation of the source material.

Aunt May is a nursing student and is seen barking orders around the ER/In-take room. Hilarious.

Gwen is the only person who could reset the power grid cause you know she saw the plans. The complicated procedure putting her in harms way that Peter couldn't have done himself involves taking the key to the padlock from a dead mans hand to unlock the protective cover to the switch that says "master reset". Very complicated indeed. 

Max Dillon/Electro is just laughable bad. Love how he just shows up in a rubber suit. So that's a stock suit or we had time to customize one post-Ravencroft breakout. He's also apparently Dr. Manhatten masquerading as Electro. 

I may have missed it I admit but help me out cause I saw no real logical leap for how Harry puts Peter+Spiderman together. Just shows up Goblin-fied and then and there decides to go after Gwen(who, you know is the only one that could reset the grid).

A mess of a movie. A MESS.

• Like 10

Taking cues from Superman Returns we get Stalker Peter Parker.

But of course it's cute and romantic here cause it's required to be, real life=restraining order

I'll admit that's one of the things that really did kinda bug me about the movie. 

Aunt May is a nursing student and is seen barking orders around the ER/In-take room. Hilarious.

When was she 'barking orders'? She was just getting stuff the doctor asked her to and cheering with the rest when the lights came on.

Gwen is the only person who could reset the power grid cause you know she saw the plans. The complicated procedure putting her in harms way that Peter couldn't have done himself involves taking the key to the padlock from a dead mans hand to unlock the protective cover to the switch that says "master reset". Very complicated indeed. 

Even the simplest things can seem complicated if you have no idea what you're doing, like Peter would've. Besides, who's to say that flipping the switch was the only thing she was doing? She could have been doing other stuff offscreen while Spidey and Electro were fighting.

I may have missed it I admit but help me out cause I saw no real logical leap for how Harry puts Peter+Spiderman together. Just shows up Goblin-fied and then and there decides to go after Gwen(who, you know is the only one that could reset the grid).

Come on. He knows Peter has a connection to Spiderman. He knows Peter and Gwen are (kinda) dating. He sees Spiderman and Gwen together, Peter nowhere to be seen. You don't need to be a genius to join the dots.

• Like 1

I mean, the Aunt May nursing student nonsense was there to beef up her characterization. I didn't mind it too much. But, like everything else in the film, aside from the relentlessly "cutesy" romance, it gets a short shrift. So... It feels cheap, unearned. Such being, I'm not going to rail against those put off by it.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

^^^^

I see lots of excuses made above. 

Explanations that "could've taken place off camera" to explain away things. A good film need not require the apologists to justify things with fan fiction. 

A good film does not assume its viewers are complete morons who need every simple minor thing explained to them.

Edited by Za Rukaio!
  • Like 1

So i finally saw TASM2 in a nearly empty cinema (we were 5 for 160 seats after being opened nearly 3 weeks ago).

I went there with very low expectations and with the firm believe that critics went too hard on it because they had CATWS in mind as a point of comparison...

Even with that, i never wanted to get up and get out as much as with this movie.  bar the first 10 minutes that are great, bar DeHann who has the strongest presence and a much bigger charisma than Garfield (he should have been the one playing SpiderMan), i found all the rest lame and mediocre at best.

For me, it was more of a syrupy tragi comedy featuring teens  and whereas it could have redeem itself with a flowing great story  telling, picking  here and there the so rare and so short great elements, it was all patchy, neglected, didn make sense like pieces of different movies made by different persons put grossly together, impeaching literally to immerse completely into it.

I really can't stand that movie and there are few movies that made me feel that way...It's not even boring, it's just too much cringeworthy to even be entertaining to me and so insulting in the way they deliberatly neglected the story telling to this point.  

This movie is amateurish and mediocre in many levels that i spent my time shaking my head in disbelieve while watching it..

I have no intent to watch TASM3 and i literally have divorced from my first beloved CB hero because of that poor excuse of a movie.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1

Oh, and no one else is in the theater.

Oh shit lol!!!.....Tarzan you notice those 335-400M lock smoes have left the building...

And baumers club meaning death of this abysmal reboot attempt and a under 200M club is very much alive.

Wow..  I want Godzilla to hit this hard for ruining one of my favorite heroes domination power. Had TM and Raimi still been here.

It would be impossible for Spidey to make under 350--400+M range for  a SM4 and SM5..

Lets hope they do the ass kssing thing and try to get back the original force behind the greatest SM ventures on the big screen.

WWow 188-197M for SM2 2014 is still on the cards..lol

I cant wait to see your review my friend.. Warning dont go into the film with high expectations..

GODZILLA RIP UP THIS MESS.. .On may 16th we awaken something wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

Pros.Most of the cast is good ,Garfield is much more like the Peter Parker we know and love then he was in the first film, Emma Stone is Excellent,suporting cast for the most part very good.

Action scenes are really well done.

Cons.Almost everything else. The Script is a total mess. Film cannot make up it mind whether ti wants to be a serious take on the comic book heros a la "The Dark Knight" or totally silly like "Batman and Robin". Result is a disaster with mood changes that make no sense.

The way Electro is written is a good example. One minute he is over the top silly,the next he is trying to be dark and menacing. And Foxx's hammy acting does not help maters.All the the good things in the film are drowned by the bad script.

SONY needs to fire the writers (ironic they were brought in to help correct the mistakes made in the first film but ended up making things worse) and I would have a serious talk with Webb about what he wants to do, since he could not make up his mind in this film.

• Like 1

Why did Peter's parents go on an Oscar jet when they were trying to escape. Why not take a commercial flight. 

They chartered a private jet because the authorities were hunting for Richard. They'd be arrested when they landed.

I loved certain aspects, but there were some annoying negatives too. All in all I liked it about the same as the first one, so 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

Positive

[*]Webslinging was awesome. [*]Peter and Gwen were great. [*]The split personality between Peter and Spidey was excellent. [*]Enjoyed Harry's character arc until he turned into the Goblin. [*]Sally Field continues to be a huge improvement over Rosemary Harris.

Negative

[*]Villains felt shoehorned into the story. [*]Zimmer's music drowned out too much dialogue and the Electro theme was annoying. [*]Multiple cheesy scenes featuring crowds cheering Spider-Man, just like the Raimi movies. [*]Runtime too long.

• Like 1